Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2017 Graduates: Onwards and upwards!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Is your plan to stretch out that 400m to 3 or 4mins? Don't make the mistake of shortening that 4mins! I've tried it. I learned the hard way!

Yeah, I slowed to a shuffle for 400m, was about 3min 20 on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:
    Yeah. That was tough. Got it done though. Posting about it in here helps lol.

Wait til you have to do the 3x2mile. Thats one to dread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Baby75 wrote: »
    Do not get too caught up on a time, just in case the legs get tired quicker than you expect and you feel the lactate earlier than you expect which may make those hills feel harder than you like and the recovery of a downhill does not give you the speed you would like! I am just thinking of how I felt on Saturday which caught me by surprise as I was feeling great at the start and early on :) Hopefully, that will not be the case though :)

Good advice, thanks.
    Lazare wrote: »
    Yeah. That was tough.
    Got it done though. Posting about it in here helps lol.

Well done. About to go for a slow 8km once I’ve the kids dropped off here. Rain and wind are horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Lazare wrote: »
    Yeah. That was tough.
    Got it done though. Posting about it in here helps lol.

Well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Got my hills done this morning, a good workout. Ended up doing them in Marlay Park using the hill up to the coffee shop. It may have been a little steeper than required but I really don't know. Maybe El C or Tertosterscone could answer that.

As for pace I'm also a bit confused. Based on the advice to do them at 3-5k pace with an emphasis on form I set my watch for a workout with the pace range of 4:00- 4:15 per km. All seemed OK as I wasn't getting many beeps for exceeding or not reaching the paces. When I checked on Garmin afterwards it seems that not all of each minute on the hill was recorded as moving. As a result my average paces had 4 of the 8 hills too slow while the average moving pace was pretty spot on for the target paces. There was 23 secs difference on one repeat. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Got my hills done this morning, a good workout. Ended up doing them in Marlay Park using the hill up to the coffee shop. It may have been a little steeper than required but I really don't know. Maybe El C or Tertosterscone could answer that.

As for pace I'm also a bit confused. Based on the advice to do them at 3-5k pace with an emphasis on form I set my watch for a workout with the pace range of 4:00- 4:15 per km. All seemed OK as I wasn't getting many beeps for exceeding or not reaching the paces. When I checked on Garmin afterwards it seems that not all of each minute on the hill was recorded as moving. As a result my average paces had 4 of the 8 hills too slow while the average moving pace was pretty spot on for the target paces. There was 23 secs difference on one repeat. :confused:

Sorry SB but I wouldn't know Dublin too well or Garmins tbh. If you're on strava, you can check the gradient and anything around 5-6% would be ideal for these sessions.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Sorry SB but I wouldn't know Dublin too well or Garmins tbh. If you're on strava, you can check the gradient and anything around 5-6% would be ideal for these sessions.

Great! Using rudimentary maths and allowing for GPS inaccuracies over short distances I have worked the gradient out to be approximately 5.69537% :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

I also did the hill session yesterday but I don't think the gradient was 5%.

Does anyone know anywhere good near Raheny for these sessions? Is howth my best bet?

Does anyone know anywhere good near Raheny for these sessions? Is howth my best bet?

Just checked your run. 10ft of elevation is probably about 1.5% gradient. That's based on you running about 220/230 metres in the minute. I'd say you would probably need to get a suitable section up Howth Head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Just checked your run. 10ft of elevation is probably about 1.5% gradient. That's based on you running about 220/230 metres in the minute. I'd say you would probably need to get a suitable section up Howth Head.

Ya I had worked it out around 1,5% last night after I did it. Ah well treat it as 200 meter repeats! Ya live, ya learn.

Ya I had worked it out around 1,5% last night after I did it. Ah well treat it as 200 meter repeats! Ya live, ya learn.

Oh you learn for sure...I learnt that after a couple of sessions a week I'll be very glad of the very easy paced runs that people (me included initially) thought were too slow. The hill I did averaged out near 6% but Strava makes it 8% at the steepest point. It was challenging enough! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Does anyone know anywhere good near Raheny for these sessions?

Fairview back towards coolock is a descent incline .

I've seen the local club running hill repeats on the hill up from the coast to the playground in st annes Park. If my memory serves me right In the 2015 graduate thread the mentors said that one was suitable for the shorter hill repeats .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I've been toying with the idea of starting one of the different graduate plans, however i've come to the conclusion that i can't commit to more than 3 runs a week at the moment and for the foreseeable future until my knee is sorted out (it's still niggling on/off during runs). So what I'm thinking is the following with a view to racing the various distances (10k/10m/HM) in the first half of 2018.

Mon: S&C Gym
    Tues: 5m (1hr) very easy pace
    Wed: S&C Gym
    Thurs: Track session - whatever is prescribed by the coach
    Fri: REST
    Sat: LSR (building from 8 to 16 miles) + shorter S&C session @ home.
    Sun: REST

I'll make a decision next April-ish with regards to DCM 2018 but it will very much depend on the condition of my knee and i think that is very dependent on the S&C work over the next few months. Does this sound reasonable? It will probably amount to 20-25 mpw.

ariana` wrote:
    I'll make a decision next April-ish with regards to DCM 2018 but it will very much depend on the condition of my knee and i think that is very dependent on the S&C work over the next few months. Does this sound reasonable? It will probably amount to 20-25 mpw.

Looks very reasonable. If I was running three days a week those are probably the three runs I'd want to be doing. One long, one session and one easy.

ariana` wrote: »
    I've been toying with the idea of starting one of the different graduate plans, however i've come to the conclusion that i can't commit to more than 3 runs a week at the moment and for the foreseeable future until my knee is sorted out (it's still niggling on/off during runs). So what I'm thinking is the following with a view to racing the various distances (10k/10m/HM) in the first half of 2018.

Seems to make sense to me. What are you going to do about the knee? Are you going back to Physio?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

One of the things with the graduates plan is a shift from running a routine distance to blocks of time. It might confuse your fellow runners if you say you've no mileage in mind as you now run by time. :p I find going by time enjoyable.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Seems to make sense to me. What are you going to do about the knee? Are you going back to Physio?
    I'll see how it goes. If it gets to the stage every run hurts I will but for now I'm hoping the s&c will help and it's only intermittent niggles. I don't have any spare cash with Christmas to be honest :(

One of the things with the graduates plan is a shift from running a routine distance to blocks of time. It might confuse your fellow runners if you say you've no mileage in mind as you now run by time. :p I find going by time enjoyable.

Obviously only on my first week but I'm enjoying it too. All I see on the watch is the time countdown and I listen for beeps to tell me if I'm too fast or slow. It's enjoyable just trundling along knowing the sessions are where the pain is.

Back Carb Loading again - decided I’m going to go for the full in Clon. Just finished creating a paceband for 4:30 to keep me in check and will go slower if needs be. Just doing it for pure enjoyment and fun. Found two friends to run it with too. We are starting with the early group at 8am.

Trying to decide what to wear. Weather looking good - 6 degrees, no rain and little wind but it’s very exposed and along the coast and high points. Normally for 6 degrees I would just wear a long sleeved top but wondering if I need gloves and a neck buff. Any thoughts? Wearing full length leggings.

The one thing I'd have concerns about would be the S&C the day before a track workout. That's two hard days in a row especially when you are newer to S&C. It would probably be better to gradually build into it as 3 days of S&C a week is a big jump alongside 1 track session and the concern would be that you get tired from all that and pick up another injury if you jump straight into that.

If you are still getting niggles, I'd be inclined to drop the running workout in place of an easy run and gradually build into the S&C until the niggles feel better. Then consider adding in a track session while dropping the intensity and frequency of the S&C. The important thing first and foremost is get over the niggles.

• Advertisement

Back Carb Loading again - decided I’m going to go for the full in Clon. Just finished creating a paceband for 4:30 to keep me in check and will go slower if needs be. Just doing it for pure enjoyment and fun. Found two friends to run it with too. We are starting with the early group at 8am.

Trying to decide what to wear. Weather looking good - 6 degrees, no rain and little wind but it’s very exposed and along the coast and high points. Normally for 6 degrees I would just wear a long sleeved top but wondering if I need gloves and a neck buff. Any thoughts? Wearing full length leggings.

Maybe pick up a cheap pair of gloves that you are willing to throw away KG. I'd say you'll warm up fairly quickly but they might help in the first few miles when it's a bit chillier. Might be down there myself at the weekend as a mate of mine is running. I'd give you cheer but I've no idea what you look like:pac:

18 weeks of boards novice plan, no pain, no DOMS. 4 days of graduates plan, pain, DOMS and I finally know where my glutes are cos they're as tender as a 28 day hung fillet steak. This running sh1t just got real! :pac:

Maybe pick up a cheap pair of gloves that you are willing to throw away KG. I'd say you'll warm up fairly quickly but they might help in the first few miles when it's a bit chillier. Might be down there myself at the weekend as a mate of mine is running. I'd give you cheer but I've no idea what you look like:pac:

If I get a chance I’ll share my number here El C. Got my half number today but presume i’ll Be swapping that for a different one. Will be around the Quality for a few hours after so would be nice to say hello if you are too.

Good idea about the gloves. Have some cheap Lidl pairs that might as well be put to use.

KG i wore gloves until 5 miles in DCM so I'm probably not the best person to advice you as i suffer cold hands and in this weather i'd probably wear them for the whole thing!! I wore a pair that i didn't mind throwing away but as it happened on the day i was just warming up on Chesterfield Ave and OH was there at the statue so i gave them to him... But a cheap penneys pair might be the way to go!

Best of luck :)

The one thing I'd have concerns about would be the S&C the day before a track workout. That's two hard days in a row especially when you are newer to S&C. It would probably be better to gradually build into it as 3 days of S&C a week is a big jump alongside 1 track session and the concern would be that you get tired from all that and pick up another injury if you jump straight into that.

If you are still getting niggles, I'd be inclined to drop the running workout in place of an easy run and gradually build into the S&C until the niggles feel better. Then consider adding in a track session while dropping the intensity and frequency of the S&C. The important thing first and foremost is get over the niggles.

Damn you :pac: It's such a struggle i just want to run run run and get better (go longer, go faster) and i know s&c will help in the long run but it's not a quick fix and i've no patience! My instinct is to just want to run faster/harder/more often/for longer. It's already killing me some are back completing HMs (and even full marathons) and following new plans while i'm taking a step backwards :o Patience is not my forte obviously :cool:

ariana` wrote:
    It's already killing me some are back completing HMs (and even full marathons) and following new plans while i'm taking a step backwards Patience is not my forte obviously

It might feel like a step backwards but it's genuinely not. It's maybe one step back for three leaps forward. You'll come back stronger. But I get where you're coming from. It can be frustrating when the enthusiasm and will is there but the body is asking you to hold on a sec.....

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Im finally getting round to posting on here, thanks Baby for starting the thread and El Caballo for taking on the mentor roll. There’s some brilliant advice already on here.

Before joining the novice thread I never really knew how to get the most out of my runs and always thought the longer the quicker the better! I’ve only run 7 races in my life and the only one I’ve tired to really raced was last weeks Jingle Bells! So hopefully 2018 will bring some more racing and PBs
    After a lazy few weeks I’m hoping to start the 10k- HM graduate plan in the new year and aim for a sub 2hr half at Bohermeen (thanks Quickbeam motivating me to sign up!)
    For the next couple of weeks I’m planning to build my fitness back up and get out 3/4 times a week, starting tomorrow!!

GO KELLYGIRL, I’ll be dying to know how you get on

Hi Browneyes so good to see you here :D

I am also starting the plan this week, heading out later for a run hopefully my knee/foot are ok they have been fine the last two days walking as that is all I have done this week :)

Damn you :pac: It's such a struggle i just want to run run run and get better (go longer, go faster) and i know s&c will help in the long run but it's not a quick fix and i've no patience! My instinct is to just want to run faster/harder/more often/for longer. It's already killing me some are back completing HMs (and even full marathons) and following new plans while i'm taking a step backwards :o Patience is not my forte obviously :cool:

It will be worth it Ariana. This time last year when I did the half in a Clon I was in a right state with injuries after (well a bit before too) and my mileage for Dec, Jan, Feb was sooo low. Same then for Cork in June and at that stage so had to give in and get myself sorted once and for all and again had really low mileage for June and July while doing physio and I had to miss out on quite a few races like the Killarney half which I had planned for over the Summer. I wasn’t on the group at the time but Leesider was quoting ‘Keep the main thing the main thing’ to me around then! I know it’s hard looking at others and I’ve been there but I think you are doing great.

• Advertisement

Im finally getting round to posting on here, thanks Baby for starting the thread and El Caballo for taking on the mentor roll. There’s some brilliant advice already on here.

Before joining the novice thread I never really knew how to get the most out of my runs and always thought the longer the quicker the better! I’ve only run 7 races in my life and the only one I’ve tired to really raced was last weeks Jingle Bells! So hopefully 2018 will bring some more racing and PBs
    After a lazy few weeks I’m hoping to start the 10k- HM graduate plan in the new year and aim for a sub 2hr half at Bohermeen (thanks Quickbeam motivating me to sign up!)
    For the next couple of weeks I’m planning to build my fitness back up and get out 3/4 times a week, starting tomorrow!!

Great that you're doing Bohermeen. There's a nice little group of us building up to doing that now.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement peoples :)

KG best of luck tomorrow, enjoy it ;)

And anyone doing Parkrun as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I am looking at Bohermeen or Mullingar for an early season 1/2 so I might get to catch up with some of you......minus the elf suit this time!

Hi Browneyes so good to see you here :D

I am also starting the plan this week, heading out later for a run hopefully my knee/foot are ok they have been fine the last two days walking as that is all I have done this week :)

Hope it goes well tonight, was that the same ankle you injured during the 3/4?
    Are you going to do Bohermeen too?
    I am looking at Bohermeen or Mullingar for an early season 1/2 so I might get to catch up with some of you......minus the elf suit this time!

We mightn’t recognise you with the elf suit! :D

ariana` wrote:
    And anyone doing Parkrun as well!

Just realised we finally get to see what your 5k pace is!

Just realised we finally get to see what your 5k pace is!
    Son had an away rugby match so I did a full s&c session this evening and put parkrun put of my head for another week.... and now the rugby is cancelled! So I've no more excuses (does DOMS count!) :)

Hope it goes well tonight, was that the same ankle you injured during the 3/4?
    Are you going to do Bohermeen too?
    We mightn’t recognise you with the elf suit! :D

yea same leg, I never got out in the end hubby parents called in so I will go tomorrow raging actually I was really looking forward to it

yes I am thinking of it :)

Kellygirl I would wear a buff it can work as a sweatband if your warm! have gloves ready in the morning so you can decide then if you need them are you wearing a belt you can also stick them into it :) good luck :D

I kind of want to talk about this as a lot of you guys seem to having issues with reoccurring injuries/Niggles at the minute.

Firstly, I think it's important to realise why they happen. As a lot of people here are newer to running/physical activity or haven't done so in years. Structurely, you're body is going to be weak and underprepared for the rigours of road running. Running is a high impact sport and this can cause issues when there is weaknesses or lack of flexibility issues in our bodies. The issue with this is that our fitness increases rapidly in contrast to our muscles and tendons which take much longer to adapt to the stress of running than our lungs and heart.

So while the capacity to run faster and longer improves quickly, the muscles and tendons lag behind and this leads to what are called overuse injuries which are very common for all runners but especially newer runners who haven't had the years of adaption that training brings. A few examples of overuse injuries would be all the typical ones you hear of like IT band, runners knee, piriformis issues etc etc.

The term overuse itself should be self explanatory i.e too much, too soon. The best way to avoid these type of injuries is through S&C, flexibility drills and a gradual build-up of mileage. You are only as strong as your weakest link so while your cardiovascular strength might be excellent and you feel you could run 80 miles a week, it's not much good if your body can only handle 20 miles a week without getting injured and that needs to be considered when you decide how much training you can do. Ideally, you want to slowly build up this weak point so you can increase the volume of training you can do.

That's prevention but we also need to look at rehab as well when you do get injured. The same applies here regarding S&C and flexibility but rest plays a very important role in this. When you are injured, rest is hugely important in recovery as you have to give your body a chance to recover. If you don't, you are only prolonging injuries which will limit your training or make the injury worse until you start to address the problem. Injuries are hugely frustrating and the R word is not something runners like to hear but they are a part of the sport and how you manage them will go a long way to determining how successful you will be. It might hurt to have to take time off in the short term but it is nearly always the right decision in the long-term. You have to be as proactive in managing your recovery from injuries/niggles as you are towards your training to get the most out of your running.

If you are struggling with an overuse injury, you will definitely have to pull the plug on races/workouts and dial back mileage or take complete rest if nessacary. Would you still like to be feeling like you are during an injury right now in 6 months without managing it or back on the road niggle free in a month if you do address it?

• Advertisement

El Caballo I personally want all my niggles gone and head into the new year being able to run without any issues and the ones plaguing me now.

it has meant a full weeks rest for me so far and was hoping to get out tomorrow for an easy 5km see how I'm holding up. no pain when walking the last few days

Does Doms after a hills session fall into the overuse/niggles category? Or is it something that you can run on?

Sitting in hotel lobby in Clon ready to go. Have changed to the full. Zero degrees in the car on the way down! Hope this is a good idea!!!

El C, I’m number 1446 if I pass you.

Sitting in hotel lobby in Clon ready to go. Have changed to the full. Zero degrees in the car on the way down! Hope this is a good idea!!!

You rock dying to hear how it goes!!!

Parkrun comeback for me this morning! 24:57 official time, previous parkrun pb was 26:27 in April so that's a whopping 90 seconds improvement. Thrilled with that and no knee pain - mild DOMS yes, pain/niggles no. Butt is killing me after it though but I'm hoping that's a good sign that I activated my glutes??

Have to go back now and read El Cab's post, I have a feeling it might relate to me.

Parkrun comeback for me this morning! 24:57 official time, previous parkrun pb was 26:27 in April so that's a whopping 90 seconds improvement. Thrilled with that and no knee pain - mild DOMS yes, pain/niggles no. Butt is killing me after it though but I'm hoping that's a good sign that I activated my glutes??

Have to go back now and read El Cab's post, I have a feeling it might relate to me.

Oh it's definitely relating to more than you if it even relates to you at all. You're not overdoing the miles and you're planning to stick to a training plan. You're doing it right methinks. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I've been thinking about this anyway, but in light of El C’s excellent post, can somebody tell me more about S&C?

I do zero at the moment.

Do I have to join a gym to do it, or can I do it at home? At home, will this require a lot of equipment? At present I have an exercise mat and some weights (a bit like these: https://d2gg9evh47fn9z.cloudfront.net/800px_COLOURBOX3089836.jpg).

I Googled S&C and found this. But that requires all sorts of equipment that I don’t have like a step, exercise ball and a kettlebell. They also seem pretty complicated (some of them anyway). Is there a more back-to-basics / minimal equipment version that I could start out with?

Also, when and how often to do them? I run (in general) Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings very early, and Saturday at 9.30am for Parkrun. Would S&C on alternate days work, ie, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday mornings? Or would that be too little time to recover until the next run, and would I be better off doing them the evening I’ve done runs?

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this anyway, but in light of El C’s excellent post, can somebody tell me more about S&C?

I do zero at the moment.

Do I have to join a gym to do it, or can I do it at home? At home, will this require a lot of equipment? At present I have an exercise mat and some weights (a bit like these: https://d2gg9evh47fn9z.cloudfront.net/800px_COLOURBOX3089836.jpg).

I Googled S&C and found this. But that requires all sorts of equipment that I don’t have like a step, exercise ball and a kettlebell. They also seem pretty complicated (some of them anyway). Is there a more back-to-basics / minimal equipment version that I could start out with?

Also, when and how often to do them? I run (in general) Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings very early, and Saturday at 9.30am for Parkrun. Would S&C on alternate days work, ie, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday mornings? Or would that be too little time to recover until the next run, and would I be better off doing them the evening I’ve done runs?

I'm sensing someone has been more than a little bitten by the running bug! :)

Does Doms after a hills session fall into the overuse/niggles category? Or is it something that you can run on?

DOMS is fine SB, it's just delayed soreness from doing a workout you're not used to, once you start to adapt and get stronger, it'll ease off in it's severity. Just take it handy the day after if you have a run, you'll probably feel terrible starting off but it should feel better once you get moving and the blood gets circulating.

Hey KG! Unfortunately I couldn't make it down today but hope all went to plan and you feel good

Congrats on the PB ariana, great to hear!:) haha, maybe you prompted me to post it but the post relates to everyone both on this thread and anyone who runs. Good to hear the knee is on the mend but be careful*wags finger*:p
    quickbeam wrote: »

I do zero at the moment.

Hey Quickbeam, you don't need equipment really to help with Strength and flexibility training although a resistance band may be helpful, you can pick these up fairy cheaply in most sports shops and the likes of argos even do them. Something good to start off with might be the 30 day challenge which some graduates have used in the past Here's a link:

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/?sc=KRSidejamesdunne

You should get a lot of benefit in both strength and mobility from doing this and you won't need any heavy equipment, just 15-20 minutes to spare. You can do this alternate days and the evenings should be just fine if that suits you.

Ariana huge congratulations on the PB fantastic delighted for you :)

Skyblue how are the doms today I always they peak and then go and if timed right an nice easy run on day 3 sorts them out, well so I have found anyway

I never got out again today, down with a sore throat and feeling crap I am hoping I get out tomorrow weather permitting if we get the weather they are forecasting snow that may put a stop to my plans

Ariana huge congratulations on the PB fantastic delighted for you :)

Skyblue how are the doms today I always they peak and then go and if timed right an nice easy run on day 3 sorts them out, well so I have found anyway

I never got out again today, down with a sore throat and feeling crap I am hoping I get out tomorrow weather permitting if we get the weather they are forecasting snow that may put a stop to my plans

I went for an hour very easy on Thursday, the day after the hills, and I seemed to be worse. Rested on Friday and did the tempo run in the plan this morning. I'd say I'm 95% right now, thanks for asking. I'm not exactly looking forward to a long run in the freezing cold tomorrow though!! :o

Hi guys, race report is here in my log.

Bit of an epistle.

Get better soon Baby. Glad the DOMS are settling SB. Hoping I don’t have them tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement