Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2017 Graduates: Onwards and upwards!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I went for an hour very easy on Thursday, the day after the hills, and I seemed to be worse. Rested on Friday and did the tempo run in the plan this morning. I'd say I'm 95% right now, thanks for asking. I'm not exactly looking forward to a long run in the freezing cold tomorrow though!! :o

ooh wrap up warm :D

Kellygirl

off to read that report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Baby75 wrote: »
    ooh wrap up warm :D

Kellygirl

off to read that report :)

At the Parkrun today I wore a base layer tshirt, base layer long sleeve, long sleeve top, marathon top, jacket, race series bandana as a snood, shorts, leggings, hat and 2 pairs of gloves!!! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

At the Parkrun today I wore a base layer tshirt, base layer long sleeve, long sleeve top, marathon top, jacket, race series bandana as a snood, shorts, leggings, hat and 2 pairs of gloves!!! :pac::pac:

You’d be in trouble racing in the arctic circle if you ever got the notion.

I'm the same lately lol really feeling the cold
    What's Dublin like this morning Carlow has a nice blanket of snow are you still heading out on your LSR

I'm the same lately lol really feeling the cold
    What's Dublin like this morning Carlow has a nice blanket of snow are you still heading out on your LSR

There's no snow where I am. I'm both jealous and relieved at once! It's snowing up the hills though. Raining heavily here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

El Caballo wrote: »
    Hey Quickbeam, you don't need equipment really to help with Strength and flexibility training although a resistance band may be helpful, you can pick these up fairy cheaply in most sports shops and the likes of argos even do them. Something good to start off with might be the 30 day challenge which some graduates have used in the past Here's a link:

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/?sc=KRSidejamesdunne

You should get a lot of benefit in both strength and mobility from doing this and you won't need any heavy equipment, just 15-20 minutes to spare. You can do this alternate days and the evenings should be just fine if that suits you.

Ooooh, just checked out the link. I remember The Muppet recommending it, but that was when I was just still trying to complete C25K so didn't mean much to me at the time. Will definitely look to start this asap.

I got out for nearly 5km :) nice easy and slow :) it was both lovely to be out but hard work as well slogging through slush and snow no issues with knee or foot all still feeling good

going to do some S&C here at home myself And I hope I can now start the plan this week.

my club does a great speed session with yoga and S&C after it so going to that this week

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

First week of the half marathon plan done. Absolutely shattered on the long run today. Had a few sneaky ones last night. Half an hour in to the run the regret began and continued for the next hour.

Good to be back on a plan.

I'm away next weekend. Just wondering is it more beneficial to move the second session or the long run to the Thursday?

First week of the half marathon plan done. Absolutely shattered on the long run today. Had a few sneaky ones last night. Half an hour in to the run the regret began and continued for the next hour.

Good to be back on a plan.

I'm away next weekend. Just wondering is it more beneficial to move the second session or the long run to the Thursday?

I'm sure the lads will be along to offer some advice but I think one of the step ups on this plan is the long run on tired legs after the session the day before. On the marathon plan we had a rest day or easy day before the LSR. Maybe do the Saturday session on Wednesday and the long run on Thursday :confused:

Just looking up the weather there as it’s become a complete habit - yet i’m taking a week’s rest and no races to think about. Feels strange. I finally feel that I can take a short break. For some reason after Dublin I was restless and not ready for a break or just not able to stop. I still have 19 miles to do before New Year so that will keep me going until then.

I think I need to get back into S&C too. Been neglecting it lately and used enjoy it. Rambling really :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hi guys, race report is here in my log.

Bit of an epistle.

Get better soon Baby. Glad the DOMS are settling SB. Hoping I don’t have them tomorrow.

Great stuff KG! Heard the black pudding was a right treat:). Rest up and mind the mind the knee.
    I'm sure the lads will be along to offer some advice but I think one of the step ups on this plan is the long run on tired legs after the session the day before. On the marathon plan we had a rest day or easy day before the LSR. Maybe do the Saturday session on Wednesday and the long run on Thursday :confused:

That's the idea alright SB, you want to build up the cumulative fatigue so you are tired heading into the long run thus getting more benefit from it.

Where I would be cautious is moving sessions and long runs forward especially this early in the plan when you are just getting used to them. If you move both forward to Wednesday/Thursday, you end up with two tempo/threshold workouts and 2 long runs in 5 days when you look at the plan from Saturday to Thursday. What would you think of that week if it was laid out in Monday to Sunday? See even though the weeks look to end on Sunday and begin on Monday, fatigue doesn't quite understand the calendar. It doesn't know the difference between Monday or Thursday so it's best to look at this section of training from the isolation of Saturday to Thursday and that is a tough week to put down.

If it was moved a day forward, it wouldn't be too bad but moving them 3 days forward is a lot.

Roland, If it was me. I'd drop the Saturday Workout completely and move the long run to the following Monday if possible which should give you a better spacing between runs. It may not give the same benefit of fatigue as in the plan but you can only work with what you got and really shouldn't do much harm if it doesn't happen too often. You'll still get a lot of benefit from the long run itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

El C, question regarding recovery. Thus far during sessions, for recovery ive just been taking a breather, not continuing to jog the recperiod. Wondering what you do yourself, obviously itll depend on the strength of runner so not expecting to follow suit straight away, but would love to hear the thoughts of active and passive recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

8x600 @ race pace with 2 min rec
    6x800 @ race pace with 2 min rec
    5x1k @ race pace with 2 min rec

Got through the 2nd one of these , it was difficult slipping on icy roads actually fell over twice.

I can see what your doing here , 5k worth of work at 5k pace , would the natural progression from these be 4*1200 , 3*1600 ?
    If you cross over 5k worth of work is 5k pace too hard for a session for example I am considering progressing to

6*1km
    4*1 mile
    5*1 mile
    6* 1 mile

should I do the last two at 5 mile and 10k pace ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I am feeling inspired (yet again) by Wubbles Wonders; any thoughts and recommendations about Spring marathons, near or not-too-far?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

positron wrote: »
    I am feeling inspired (yet again) by Wubbles Wonders; any thoughts and recommendations about Spring marathons, near or not-too-far?

Manchester in April?

what about

Connemarathon in April
    Cork in June
    Viking Waterford Marathon June which they say is flat :D:D nope it is not

I am sure there are more though :)

what about

Connemarathon in April
    Cork in June
    Viking Waterford Marathon June which they say is flat :D:D nope it is not

I am sure there are more though :)

Limerick is the May bank holiday weekend I think. Supposed to be a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I kind of want to talk about this as a lot of you guys seem to having issues with reoccurring injuries/Niggles at the minute.

Firstly, I think it's important to realise why they happen. As a lot of people here are newer to running/physical activity or haven't done so in years. Structurely, you're body is going to be weak and underprepared for the rigours of road running. Running is a high impact sport and this can cause issues when there is weaknesses or lack of flexibility issues in our bodies. The issue with this is that our fitness increases rapidly in contrast to our muscles and tendons which take much longer to adapt to the stress of running than our lungs and heart.

So while the capacity to run faster and longer improves quickly, the muscles and tendons lag behind and this leads to what are called overuse injuries which are very common for all runners but especially newer runners who haven't had the years of adaption that training brings. A few examples of overuse injuries would be all the typical ones you hear of like IT band, runners knee, piriformis issues etc etc.

The term overuse itself should be self explanatory i.e too much, too soon. The best way to avoid these type of injuries is through S&C, flexibility drills and a gradual build-up of mileage. You are only as strong as your weakest link so while your cardiovascular strength might be excellent and you feel you could run 80 miles a week, it's not much good if your body can only handle 20 miles a week without getting injured and that needs to be considered when you decide how much training you can do. Ideally, you want to slowly build up this weak point so you can increase the volume of training you can do.

That's prevention but we also need to look at rehab as well when you do get injured. The same applies here regarding S&C and flexibility but rest plays a very important role in this. When you are injured, rest is hugely important in recovery as you have to give your body a chance to recover. If you don't, you are only prolonging injuries which will limit your training or make the injury worse until you start to address the problem. Injuries are hugely frustrating and the R word is not something runners like to hear but they are a part of the sport and how you manage them will go a long way to determining how successful you will be. It might hurt to have to take time off in the short term but it is nearly always the right decision in the long-term. You have to be as proactive in managing your recovery from injuries/niggles as you are towards your training to get the most out of your running.

If you are struggling with an overuse injury, you will definitely have to pull the plug on races/workouts and dial back mileage or take complete rest if nessacary. Would you still like to be feeling like you are during an injury right now in 6 months without managing it or back on the road niggle free in a month if you do address it?

I've been thinking a bit about this.

I took complete rest for 3 weeks following DCM. I started S&C 3 weeks ago and my mileage is still low following DCM. But i would like to start building the mileage again in 3 weeks time.

So with a view to that, and baring in mind i am still getting niggles/pain intermittently in the right knee on some runs, what is the best advice? Carry on as I am and assess in another few weeks? Make a physio appointment and get professional advice asap? If i was told to rest completely then in my eyes the next 2-3 weeks would be the time to do that as i'd like to hit the ground in the new year running (literally). So I've probably answered my own question there :cool:

https://marathonclubireland.com/2018-marathons/

There's plenty of choice :D

• Advertisement

Gosh so many... there really is no excuse not to fit one in :eek: It's the training that's the hard part :rolleyes: I really want to get back to doing a decent LSR even 12-14 miles and keep that consistently so then the jump into a marathon plan is a gentle step more than a huge leap.

ariana` wrote: »
    Gosh so many... there really is no excuse not to fit one in :eek: It's the training that's the hard part :rolleyes: I really want to get back to doing a decent LSR even 12-14 miles and keep that consistently so then the jump into a marathon plan is a gentle step more than a huge leap.

There is no real need to be doing long runs over 2 hours until you start a marathon plan. It'd just be more wear and tear. Most marathon plans kick off at something close to that. I'd say 12 is as much as you need to do. I'm enjoying the fact that the Graduate plan is time and pace range based, not distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Thank you for all the suggestions. I had a google as well and there's a lot of choice of Spring marathons, some further afield as well like Paris, Madrid etc, even Reykjavik (thought of relaxing in one of those natural hot springs after the run is so inviting, but it would be pretty cold for the run itself I would imagine). Again the local the better I suppose.

I am going to research Connemarathon as well as Manchester a bit more. Fingers crossed I don't chicken out after looking at the details. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Longford also in April, same weekend as Connemarathon.

Past threads on both knocking around the events forum.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    El C, question regarding recovery. Thus far during sessions, for recovery ive just been taking a breather, not continuing to jog the recperiod. Wondering what you do yourself, obviously itll depend on the strength of runner so not expecting to follow suit straight away, but would love to hear the thoughts of active and passive recovery.

That's a complicated one Damo and one that I myself haven't quite wrapped my head around fully either tbh as you mentioned(theres probably a book in this) there's a lot of varibles at play and the recovery type changes the goal of the workout.

I think it might be for the best if I don't go into detail on this as it's not something I feel comfortable with regarding misinformation. Hold tight and I'll try to get someone who would be a bit more knowlegeable than me on it:)
    Got through the 2nd one of these , it was difficult slipping on icy roads actually fell over twice.

I can see what your doing here , 5k worth of work at 5k pace , would the natural progression from these be 4*1200 , 3*1600 ?
    If you cross over 5k worth of work is 5k pace too hard for a session for example I am considering progressing to

6*1km
    4*1 mile
    5*1 mile
    6* 1 mile

should I do the last two at 5 mile and 10k pace ? Thanks

The progression is built towards 5k peaking clicker. It gets more specific as the weeks progress. You are spot on in seeing that the reps total up to 5k and get longer each week, this is how you progress the stress of the workout depending on the strength of the runner. Start with longer reps and long recovery and cut down the rest every week would be another way etc.

I think building up to 5x1kw/2 recovery and 4x1200 and 3x1600m should be fine when specifically targetting the 5k right now. 6x1 miles at 5k pace would be too much, I'd generally limit longer reps like 1k-Mile at 5k pace at around 6k of total volume in the scenario you are in, anymore than that is a bit too intense and if you slow the pace down for a 6x1 mile session, it becomes more 10k specific and doesn't progress on building 5k endurance like you have been doing.

I took complete rest for 3 weeks following DCM. I started S&C 3 weeks ago and my mileage is still low following DCM. But i would like to start building the mileage again in 3 weeks time.

So with a view to that, and baring in mind i am still getting niggles/pain intermittently in the right knee on some runs, what is the best advice? Carry on as I am and assess in another few weeks? Make a physio appointment and get professional advice asap? If i was told to rest completely then in my eyes the next 2-3 weeks would be the time to do that as i'd like to hit the ground in the new year running (literally). So I've probably answered my own question there :cool:

Get it checked out Ariana, see what the physio says about how much you can do and he should be able to advise you on the best way to rehab it as well. As you said, now is the time.

I think you need to know what the problem is with the knee to really answer your question. If it’s something rest will fix then the next few weeks are the perfect time to take that rest. But then it could be something say in your back that is pulling on something affecting the knee and as soon as you run again even after rest then the problem shows up again - this was my issue where the problem was showing up in my calf but it was issues in my hip and foot were causing the pain in my calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

That's a complicated one Damo and one that I myself haven't quite wrapped my head around fully either tbh as you mentioned(theres probably a book in this) there's a lot of varibles at play and the recovery type changes the goal of the workout.

I think it might be for the best if I don't go into detail on this as it's not something I feel comfortable with regarding misinformation. Hold tight and I'll try to get someone who would be a bit more knowlegeable than me on it:)
    Perfect El C, really appreciate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

The progression is built towards 5k peaking clicker. It gets more specific as the weeks progress. You are spot on in seeing that the reps total up to 5k and get longer each week, this is how you progress the stress of the workout depending on the strength of the runner. Start with longer reps and long recovery and cut down the rest every week would be another way etc.

I think building up to 5x1kw/2 recovery and 4x1200 and 3x1600m should be fine when specifically targetting the 5k right now. 6x1 miles at 5k pace would be too much, I'd generally limit longer reps like 1k-Mile at 5k pace at around 6k of total volume in the scenario you are in, anymore than that is a bit too intense and if you slow the pace down for a 6x1 mile session, it becomes more 10k specific and doesn't progress on building 5k endurance like you have been doing.

Cheers EL C , get you thanks.

Damo from my own experience nothing to do with the technical aspects of active v passive recovery. I have never failed to complete a workout when doing active recovery , If I stop fully I am more likely to stay stopped longer than the required rest period and I am much more likely to not start again. I also tend to think now based on my own past experiences that if I can't do a little jog recovery I probably ran the last rep too hard.

Hey guys, just looking at the training plans there. Thinking 10k-HM one. Not sure what to use in the calculator - the 5km and HM times give different paces so not sure which I should go for? The 5km speed times are very fast but all the easy and very easy and very slow.

Oh and another question considering i’ve no race in mind should I just follow the base phase until I do decide what i’m doing?

Hey guys, just looking at the training plans there. Thinking 10k-HM one. Not sure what to use in the calculator - the 5km and HM times give different paces so not sure which I should go for? The 5km speed times are very fast but all the easy and very easy and very slow.

How about do a park run soon and use that time in the calculator. I plugged in my time from last Saturday's park run and I'm happy enough that the paces look reasonable. The Easy and Very Easy are slower/easier than i did for DCM alright but the other days will tougher so I'm think i might need them to be that easy :cool:

• Advertisement

How about do a park run soon and use that time in the calculator. I plugged in my time from last Saturday's park run and I'm happy enough that the paces look reasonable. The Easy and Very Easy are slower/easier than i did for DCM alright but the other days will tougher so I'm think i might need them to be that easy :cool:

Yes - I used the pb I got in parkrun a few weeks ago. Then I put in the HM pb I got a week later so wasn’t sure which to use then. Going to be hard going that slow anyway so I suppose the 5km. My only worry is it kind of means I can’t run with people again going that slow so I must figure that one out. I suppose I can’t have it every way.

Yes - I used the pb I got in parkrun a few weeks ago. Then I put in the HM pb I got a week later so wasn’t sure which to use then. Going to be hard going that slow anyway so I suppose the 5km. My only worry is it kind of means I can’t run with people again going that slow so I must figure that one out. I suppose I can’t have it every way.

I am in the same boat KG. My friends pretty much run all their runs at the same pace which according to that calculator is Tempo/Easy Tempo pace for me. They do Parkrun every week a bit harder but that is what they do. I'm on the fence, not committing to anything yet. I'd like to improve and target races more specifically of course but i'd be turning on my back on some of my reasons for running if i follow a plan that means i can't run with my friends. I may end up doing some kind of hybrid version if i'm to stay true to myself at all and if this is at the cost of a couple of minutes in a HM or half a minute over 5k then so be it, it's not like I'm targeting the podium :cool: I'm leaving all these decisions to the New Yr anyhow, i'm on a sabbatical for now :)

I am in the same boat KG. My friends pretty much run all their runs at the same pace which according to that calculator is Tempo/Easy Tempo pace for me. They do Parkrun every week a bit harder but that is what they do. I'm on the fence, not committing to anything yet. I'd like to improve and target races more specifically of course but i'd be turning on my back on some of my reasons for running if i follow a plan that means i can't run with my friends. I may end up doing some kind of hybrid version if i'm to stay true to myself at all and if this is at the cost of a couple of minutes in a HM or half a minute over 5k then so be it, it's not like I'm targeting the podium :cool: I'm leaving all these decisions to the New Yr anyhow, i'm on a sabbatical for now :)

Yes that’s exactly the same as me. Only thing is my long runs would be a Wednesday morning so generally on my own anyway or else forget Park run and do lsrs on a sat morn and I have a friend who’s training for a ten mile (her first) so migh like to slow down a bit and do them with me at the slow pace.

Oh and another question considering i’ve no race in mind should I just follow the base phase until I do decide what i’m doing?

Hey KG

I'd go with the HM paces because they would be more relevant to training you are doing now regarding Tempos and Thresholds etc which would be more endurance based than the 5k, it gives a better indication to where you are in relation to endurance. Following the base plan sounds like a good idea and should set you up nicely for the specific training you choose to do when you decide on your goal. Build up slowly though and watch that knee.

Hey KG

I'd go with the HM paces because they would be more relevant to training you are doing now regarding Tempos and Thresholds etc which would be more endurance based than the 5k, it gives a better indication to where you are in relation to endurance. Following the base plan sounds like a good idea and should set you up nicely for the specific training you choose to do when you decide on your goal. Build up slowly though and watch that knee.

Thanks El C. Will do that. I should be able to get out running in the next couple of days again so be interesting to see how the knee is. Not a twinge now anyway. I need a trip to the physio just to get my back and pelvis realigned but will be after Xmas. Just to prevent any injuries before I start doing proper training again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Recovery periods for intervals is not something that too many people pay much attention to for the most part other than for how long but how you recover can play an important role depending on the type of session you are doing. Some sessions the recovery period is the focus you are trying to pay attention to as you are trying to encourage your body to use lactate as fuel.

Generally however in particular for this plan I would encourage active rest i.e jogging recoveries unless you are getting down to 1 mile race pace reps or less. Anything 5k pace or slower I would say for most people here jogging is fine as you are focusing on building aerobic capacity moreso than anything. With jog as well it should be nothing that this can be little more than a shuffle it's more just to keep the legs moving

In a previous incarnation I did up a general post on recoveries which might answer some of your questions

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99005110&postcount=3

How's everyone?

I did a physio session today. Hip flexor was very tight and other tightness around my right knee and quad. Nothing serious. More foam rolling (i have slackened off :o), keep going with the S&C and get to physio or for a sports massage once a month or so and there should be no problem building up the mileage again in the New Year :)

How's everyone?

I did a physio session today. Hip flexor was very tight and other tightness around my right knee and quad. Nothing serious. More foam rolling (i have slackened off :o), keep going with the S&C and get to physio or for a sports massage once a month or so and there should be no problem building up the mileage again in the New Year :)

Hello to you too! Well I've hit a little speed bump. Training was going great and I am loving the sessions. Then I decided to follow the S&C route too. Went to the gym on Friday for an assessment and he did a little workout with me for the legs....squats and lunges of different varieties and some stretches. It felt good. Saturday was a bit stiff but still did my threshold session. Sunday, oh my Divine Lord, I could barely bend the legs or put shoes or socks on so long run was cancelled. A bit less sore today and heading to the gym for some core work now. If he advises more rest that's what I'll do, if he says a short easy run might help the legs then I'll go out for a few laps of the track.

Ariana that is fantastic bet you are delighted :D

Skyblue dam DOMS it will pay off though in the long run and it won't be long before the body adjust and you will need to add more reps or change it up :)

I got out for a nice easy run on Thursday I was wondering how the legs would be after the speed session and yoga ( which worked my calfs and hamstrings) so had some soreness from it but I felt good kept it nice and easy I enjoyed it.

I had to skip my Long run I had a funny tummy yesterday but I did not mind as we got in a good cycle on Saturday and it was a hard one and so cold I need to find a way to keep my feet warm, I worked hard to keep up with my hubby he is so strong on the bike. but I have improved over the last few months so I am delighted with myself.

I can not believe it is nearly Christmas :eek:

Hello to you too! Well I've hit a little speed bump. Training was going great and I am loving the sessions. Then I decided to follow the S&C route too. Went to the gym on Friday for an assessment and he did a little workout with me for the legs....squats and lunges of different varieties and some stretches. It felt good. Saturday was a bit stiff but still did my threshold session. Sunday, oh my Divine Lord, I could barely bend the legs or put shoes or socks on so long run was cancelled. A bit less sore today and heading to the gym for some core work now. If he advises more rest that's what I'll do, if he says a short easy run might help the legs then I'll go out for a few laps of the track.

I'm laughing here because you describe so well how i felt for about 3 weeks, seriously the DOMS!! Fair play to you for embracing the S&C. You will get used to it and it'll pay off. Though a bit like myself introducing S&C at the same time as introducing more intense sessions may not be the wisest but oh well better at the wrong time than no time eh :p

Life would be no fun without the odd speed bump! Let us know how things go ;)

• Advertisement

Ariana that is fantastic bet you are delighted :D

Skyblue dam DOMS it will pay off though in the long run and it won't be long before the body adjust and you will need to add more reps or change it up :)

I got out for a nice easy run on Thursday I was wondering how the legs would be after the speed session and yoga ( which worked my calfs and hamstrings) so had some soreness from it but I felt good kept it nice and easy I enjoyed it.

I had to skip my Long run I had a funny tummy yesterday but I did not mind as we got in a good cycle on Saturday and it was a hard one and so cold I need to find a way to keep my feet warm, I worked hard to keep up with my hubby he is so strong on the bike. but I have improved over the last few months so I am delighted with myself.

I can not believe it is nearly Christmas :eek:

I am and i amn't... it's kinda nice having an excuse to do a bit less :o Ah no kidding sorta! I'll enjoy the next 2 weeks, fit in what i can comfortably fit in and then come Jan 1st i'll hit the ground running - literally :)

I will have to keep up the s&c so i still can't see myself running more that 3-4 times per week but i'll try to increase the distances a bit and put in a bit of structure of sorts :)

I'm laughing here because you describe so well how i felt for about 3 weeks, seriously the DOMS!! Fair play to you for embracing the S&C. You will get used to it and it'll pay off. Though a bit like myself introducing S&C at the same time as introducing more intense sessions may not be the wisest but oh well better at the wrong time than no time eh :p

Life would be no fun without the odd speed bump! Let us know how things go ;)

Haha....I wouldn't call it embracing. That word invokes images of tenderness, love, affection and warmth :pac: I am trying something that most people say will be good for me despite having a loathing for pain and discomfort! I did some core and arms today and I will readily admit that I am terrified as to what pain lies ahead over the next couple of days. I honestly believe I will have difficulty lifting my hands above waist level while the impression I get is that a cough or a laugh will hurt more than if I had broken ribs!!! :eek:

I think I'll have to park the HM plan for a while to as the sessions which are new to me added to the S&C would be too much too soon. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Haha....I wouldn't call it embracing. That word invokes images of tenderness, love, affection and warmth :pac: I am trying something that most people say will be good for me despite having a loathing for pain and discomfort! I did some core and arms today and I will readily admit that I am terrified as to what pain lies ahead over the next couple of days. I honestly believe I will have difficulty lifting my hands above waist level while the impression I get is that a cough or a laugh will hurt more than if I had broken ribs!!! :eek:

I think I'll have to park the HM plan for a while to as the sessions which are new to me added to the S&C would be too much too soon. :(

You will grow to enjoy the DOMS and it will help your running. The only thing I find is that my paces suffer during training as I am knackered after a gym session.

Sitting here icing my foot :-( Went over on my ankle last night while running. I must have stood on a stone or something. Seemed ok after a bit so did another 3km or so on it and my foot is so sore today. Hobbling around the place but it isn’t that swollen so can’t be that bad. Still have 6 miles to do before New Year and have to wear high heels to a wedding Friday too! More worried about my running though!

Sitting here icing my foot :-( Went over on my ankle last night while running. I must have stood on a stone or something. Seemed ok after a bit so did another 3km or so on it and my foot is so sore today. Hobbling around the place but it isn’t that swollen so can’t be that bad. Still have 6 miles to do before New Year and have to wear high heels to a wedding Friday too! More worried about my running though!

Ouch would be that the same foot that was hurting before by any chance, hopefully, it is better soon for you! I get a good support if you can

the last line made me giggle :D oh how our priorities have changed running shoes all the way over high heels ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Forget the high heels and concentrate on the 6 miles!!

And of course, get well soon. You can't possibly get so close to target and not get over the line at this stage!

I have a question on paces, I hope I explain it right!

After doing the speed session in the club last week, I was running with some club members whom on our Tuesday night runs some would always run quicker compared to my 6.20 to 6.30-minute pace. yet when we were doing our speed session I was able to run the 600 at the same pace, and I was in the first 3 on each lap. :)

last night at our group run, they all ran much faster and I just wondered should they not be faster at the shorter distance as well and I guess I am hoping it means I have room to improve. Or does it depend on what type of runner you are!

I worked out my pace for the 600 sprints and according to McMillion mine should be : 4:35-5:03
    (2:45-3:02)
    is it ok if some reps work out a little faster or is it better to try and get the exact pace

Ouch would be that the same foot that was hurting before by any chance, hopefully, it is better soon for you! I get a good support if you can

the last line made me giggle :D oh how our priorities have changed running shoes all the way over high heels ;)
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Forget the high heels and concentrate on the 6 miles!!

And of course, get well soon. You can't possibly get so close to target and not get over the line at this stage!

Same foot and that’s the knee that kicked off during Clon as well. Think sheer coincidence though as definitely landed on something as I’d hopped down off the path onto the road. It was dark and there was a big gang of us on our xmS run looking at the lights on houses and we went for hot chocolate after! New kind of Xmas party :-) Icing definitely helped as walking a bit better now. I’ve physio booked anyway for the knee so better I do all the damage before the appointment!!

I’ll do that 6 miles if I have to walk it. Going to take a break for a few days and wait until after the wedding and if I have to wait until between Xmas and New Year then so be it.

No idea on the pacing question Baby!

I wouldn't say that you'll have to park the plan SB. You're not injured so just need to manage the S&C intensity and timing. Running is the priority and S&C shouldn't be so major that it eats into your running time. Friday probably isn't an ideal day when you have a workout the next day. Maybe have a word with him that you need something more gradual and less intense because you are also doing hard training two days a week for running and that is your priority. If you are missing runs from it, it's too intense.
    I have a question on paces, I hope I explain it right!

After doing the speed session in the club last week, I was running with some club members whom on our Tuesday night runs some would always run quicker compared to my 6.20 to 6.30-minute pace. yet when we were doing our speed session I was able to run the 600 at the same pace, and I was in the first 3 on each lap. :)

last night at our group run, they all ran much faster and I just wondered should they not be faster at the shorter distance as well and I guess I am hoping it means I have room to improve. Or does it depend on what type of runner you are!

I worked out my pace for the 600 sprints and according to McMillion mine should be : 4:35-5:03
    (2:45-3:02)
    is it ok if some reps work out a little faster or is it better to try and get the exact pace

They are probably racing their easy runs baby and running them too hard. It's the most common mistake you'll see in groups. Stick to your own guns and you'll be leaving them for dust eventually;). As for potential, I can guarantee you 100% that you are only scratching the surface so far and that goes for everyone in this thread as well. The trick is to train smart, consistently and gradually build up over time and the gains will come. There's very few people who every get close to their full physical potential. Ultimately for most, motivation is the limiting factor.
    Same foot and that’s the knee that kicked off during Clon as well. Think sheer coincidence though as definitely landed on something as I’d hopped down off the path onto the road. It was dark and there was a big gang of us on our xmS run looking at the lights on houses and we went for hot chocolate after! New kind of Xmas party :-) Icing definitely helped as walking a bit better now. I’ve physio booked anyway for the knee so better I do all the damage before the appointment!!

I’ll do that 6 miles if I have to walk it. Going to take a break for a few days and wait until after the wedding and if I have to wait until between Xmas and New Year then so be it.

No idea on the pacing question Baby!

I know you are you dying to get the 1000 miles but if you're not right, I can't in good conscious advise you to push for it. A wise man around here with a 2:30 marathon PB once said "You wouldn't jump up and down on a rickety wooden bridge, to see if it will hold your weight. So why do you feel the need to test out an injury?". The question is will running 6 more miles this year make you a better runner? Part of training smart is learning to listen to your body and you've been battling injuries and niggles for over a month now, if you keep pushing through these things, you keep increasing the odds of a long-term issue popping up or becoming chronic.

• Advertisement

El Caballo thanks, I was hoping that would be the answer and I am so glad I stuck to my guns and slowed down when I checked and the pace was fast it was not so bad letting everyone fly by me when it was my choice to let them go!:D

when I found my self on my own, I stopped and waited for the group behind to come along and ran the rest of the way with them.

I never made the speed session tonight raging but just could not make it with so much going on here! christmas is calling and we are way behind! :eek:

Skyblue, actually I felt like that during marathon training when I was doing bootcamp they were great classes but he started a weight loss program and was concentrating on cardio and it was all leg work I gave them a miss when it was starting to interfere with running.

Advertisement