Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira elite 2 shower problems

Options
  • 22-11-2017 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

This has probably been asked before... mira elite 2 shower... 8+ yrs old... low flow light came on, cold water flowed, but the motor seemed to stop... i cleaned the filter and it worked perfect for a few days... back to same problem... i could leave it on for a few mins now and it would work... money is tight zo id hope i dont have to replace the whole shower... based in cork...any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The shower is older than you think. It's actually 11 years old if it's a Mira Elite 2 as they stopped making this model almost 12 years ago. The average lifespan of an electric shower is 10 years.

The issue is with the motor. It could be the brushes in the motor or it could be the motor itself that has failed. A new motor is around 130 to buy and another 70/80 Euro to have it fitted. It's not worth spending that sort of money. You can buy reconditioned motors for this shower online if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cossie2

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The shower is older than you think. It's actually 11 years old if it's a Mira Elite 2 as they stopped making this model almost 12 years ago. The average lifespan of an electric shower is 10 years.

The issue is with the motor. It could be the brushes in the motor or it could be the motor itself that has failed. A new motor is around 130 to buy and another 70/80 Euro to have it fitted. It's not worth spending that sort of money. You can buy reconditioned motors for this shower online if you need to.

Thanks for that... at least i know what to do now... would i be better off buying a mira model again? Easier for installation? Any recommendations on where to get a good deal on one?

I'd recommend the triton t90sr if you can make it work. It's a far better showerparts

If you go for the Mira elite qt it is 240 in Woodies and 220 (I think) in heatmerchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

When did Mira stop making the Elite ST.?
    A nd does the ST have the same solenoid as the Sprint model.?

washman3 wrote:
    When did Mira stop making the Elite ST.? A nd does the ST have the same solenoid as the Sprint model.?

They stopped making the ST in 2015

The ST has a flow control valve with a built in solenoid. I'm not sure if it is the same as the Sprint

• Advertisement

They stopped making the ST in 2015

The ST has a flow control valve with a built in solenoid. I'm not sure if it is the same as the Sprint

Thanks for the prompt reply. Much appreciated.
    So does the flow control valve have to be replaced along with the solenoid.?
    Or can I just prise off the coil from the solenoid and replace it with a new coil.?

washman3 wrote:
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Much appreciated. So does the flow control valve have to be replaced along with the solenoid.? Or can I just prise off the coil from the solenoid and replace it with a new coil.?

There is a solenoid coil and a solenoid valve. If you can't stop the water it's the valve and if you have no water it's the coil.

Most coils are the same size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

cossie2 wrote:
    This has probably been asked before... mira elite 2 shower... 8+ yrs old... low flow light came on, cold water flowed, but the motor seemed to stop... i cleaned the filter and it worked perfect for a few days... back to same problem... i could leave it on for a few mins now and it would work... money is tight zo id hope i dont have to replace the whole shower... based in cork...any advice greatly appreciated

Sounds fecked tbh. Not really repair friendly and parts are expensive. My shower packed in it was a Mira sport. Bought a new shower off Screwfix direct for 80 euro, 12 euro for some plumbing parts to change water inlet direction. All done for 92 euro.

There is a solenoid coil and a solenoid valve. If you can't stop the water it's the valve and if you have no water it's the coil.

Most coils are the same size

Yes, I should have stated that in my first post. Its the coil, have no water and coil is showing a reading of 77 ohmns on my meter, should be only 3-4 ohms.
    No need to isolate the water to replace the coil, just the electricity.
    From what I can see on ebay, the Elite and Sprint have the same coils.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement