Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Cazale wrote: »
    The Broadway deli in the whitewater closed a few weeks ago. O'Briens Sandwiches going soon too I heard.

Sad to see any place close down. I saw a thread recently where there was also a section of Liffey Valley also with someempty units. I wonder is all this because of too high rentals?

Personally, and assuming O'B's is also going, personally I think it's time now for a decent restaurant, something thats lacking in WW. Surely with the cinema open late in the evenings there is enough footfall to make a decent restaurant viable? Maybe even bring in the Sushi Restaurant from outside?

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Sad to see any place close down. I saw a thread recently where there was also a section of Liffey Valley also with someempty units. I wonder is all this because of too high rentals?

Personally, and assuming O'B's is also going, personally I think it's time now for a decent restaurant, something thats lacking in WW. Surely with the cinema open late in the evenings there is enough footfall to make a decent restaurant viable? Maybe even bring in the Sushi Restaurant from outside?

Just a thought.

The food court area is not really setup for what you're proposing. Unless it was something that only opened at 6ish and did table service. Can't see it myself personally.

I do take your point though. Perhaps if WW made the Cinema more accessible from where Fujiyama is, you could get a couple more eateries down there. Maybe try set up a street food set up Thursday - Sunday in the Summer. Winter/Xmas market mid Nov-End of Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The Market butcher in the whitewater has closed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Ah crap - they always had lovely dry aged beef

Heard whispers of this 2 days ago, didn't want it to be factual. Not a good sign. Broadway, Butchers, and apparently also O'Briens.

I wonder is the cost of rentals an issue here? Personally, I feel for the people who have lost jobs because of these close downs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Heard whispers of this 2 days ago, didn't want it to be factual. Not a good sign. Broadway, Butchers, and apparently also O'Briens.

I wonder is the cost of rentals an issue here? Personally, I feel for the people who have lost jobs because of these close downs.

Feel for the people loosing out but i always thought it was odd that a butchers opened up in a place like the white water - people don't go to these big outlet centres for meat and if they do they'll probably end up picking up stuff in M&S.

tossy wrote: »
    Feel for the people loosing out but i always thought it was odd that a butchers opened up in a place like the white water - people don't go to these big outlet centres for meat and if they do they'll probably end up picking up stuff in M&S.

While I would tend to agree with You Tossy, it seems to work in other SC's..Tesco centre on the Monread ( and look what's within 100 mts of their front entrance ), and ( afaik) Maynooth has one too..has been there a long time I think too. I even think Dundrum has one, and if I am right, they don't come much bigger as far as SC's go.

I never thought that butchers was great quality tbh. Crafty angels is another unit in the whitewater that shut just before Christmas too.

A few places are opening soon in the town. Newbridge motor company is opening where Matthew/Des Kellys was. Work is ongoing in the Newbridge Retail Park where SuperValu is. A pharmacy and Domino's pizza are going into separate units.

The concrete part of the skate park beside Tesco is finished. They just have to finish landscaping. Much smaller than I thought it would be.

I never thought that butchers was great quality tbh. Crafty angels is another unit in the whitewater that shut just before Christmas too.

A few places are opening soon in the town. Newbridge motor company is opening where Matthew/Des Kellys was. Work is ongoing in the Newbridge Retail Park where SuperValu is. A pharmacy and Domino's pizza are going into separate units.

We were up in Dublin one night over the Festive Season, and pulled into Sallins to get a Domino's to take home with us. They quite simply cannot come soon enough to Newbridge.

What is it about Newbridge? No Domino's, no ALDI ( must be one of the very few decent sized towns in the country without one ).

Speaking of Des Kelly, what happened there? We got carpet off them, and have to say was very happy with their service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

We were up in Dublin one night over the Festive Season, and pulled into Sallins to get a Domino's to take home with us. They quite simply cannot come soon enough to Newbridge.

What is it about Newbridge? No Domino's, no ALDI ( must be one of the very few decent sized towns in the country without one ).

Speaking of Des Kelly, what happened there? We got carpet off them, and have to say was very happy with their service.

Domino's is passable pizza. Aldi were refused permission at crossing beside McLoughlin's. Rightly so. They are supposed to be developing site where toy store was in beside SuperValu. Haven't heard anything on that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Is it true that Newbridge is a bit of a kip. Just wondering like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

TCM wrote: »

It's as much of a kip as anywhere else in the country. You'll find people that love a place and people that hate a place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

Aldi is part of the new courtyard development and work is starting very soon. Located next to cirkle k.

Domino's is part of same complex and isn't it currently being fitted out, next to costa?

Des Kelly stores have been revamped and I would suspect that the old Newbridge location wasn't suitable for the new look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Dillosk412 wrote: »
    Aldi is part of the new courtyard development and work is starting very soon. Located next to cirkle k.

Domino's is part of same complex and isn't it currently being fitted out, next to costa?

Des Kelly stores have been revamped and I would suspect that the old Newbridge location wasn't suitable for the new look.

do you know a start date for it?

tommyboy26 wrote:
    do you know a start date for it?

There was a digger in there recently clearing land behind Lidl.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Domino's is passable pizza. Aldi were refused permission at crossing beside McLoughlin's. Rightly so. They are supposed to be developing site where toy store was in beside SuperValu. Haven't heard anything on that for a while.

As far as our house is concerned, anything is better than what's here for now.

Well, You needn't wonder anymore, the answer is a resounding NO.

Where are You from like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Newbridge or nowhere!!!
    It's the centre of the universe..
    Enough said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Back in Newbridge for Christmas, one thing that struck me was the traffic. It is SO much worse than before the Motorway went around Newbridge.

I read this thread and one thing that no one seems to have spotted is that Newbridge is perfect for a one way system around the town.

Traffic lights could be eliminated freeing up actual movement of cars. The town would only need lights at the entrance to the town to get on the one way system.

It would also stop all traffic converging on one area of the town and spread the whole traffic loading equally across the road network, this would create passing trade in areas of the town that are under utilitised currently (i.e. giving passing trade)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

NSAman wrote: »
    Back in Newbridge for Christmas, one thing that struck me was the traffic. It is SO much worse than before the Motorway went around Newbridge.

I read this thread and one thing that no one seems to have spotted is that Newbridge is perfect for a one way system around the town.

Traffic lights could be eliminated freeing up actual movement of cars. The town would only need lights at the entrance to the town to get on the one way system.

It would also stop all traffic converging on one area of the town and spread the whole traffic loading equally across the road network, this would create passing trade in areas of the town that are under utilitised currently (i.e. giving passing trade)

Still awaiting the always delayed NTA traffic plan for the town.

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Still awaiting the always delayed NTA traffic plan for the town.

Which was supposedly to be out long before Christmas. Or so we were told by certain 'people in the know'.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Which was supposedly to be out long before Christmas. Or so we were told by certain 'people in the know'.

Believe the draft plan will be ready in early spring and will then go to public consultation.

Cazale wrote:
    The BRU House pub of Newbridge, Co. Kildare, has been put up for sale by private treaty by licensed property consultants Morrissey's.

BRU house has closed.

BRU house has closed.

Attended many a good party there...sad to see it gone. Hope those who were employed there get jobs elsewhere.

Attended many a good party there...sad to see it gone. Hope those who were employed there get jobs elsewhere.

I'm raging as it was my local pub. Pity it never took off as it had potential.

Place called Al Vesuvio going in where Nicks Fish was. Wood fired pizza and pasta takeaway. Builders working in it at the moment.

Used to get my van washed there every weekend. Drove in yesterday, and the wash bay was almost bone dry. Obviously not washing this weekend.

Drove across to Caset's and lo & behold, the blokes who washed the vehicles in Finlay's are now across in Casry's.

Finlay's stopped manual vehicle washing altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Used to get my van washed there every weekend. Drove in yesterday, and the wash bay was almost bone dry. Obviously not washing this weekend.

Drove across to Caset's and lo & behold, the blokes who washed the vehicles in Finlay's are now across in Casry's.

Finlay's stopped manual vehicle washing altogether?

Presume you mean in Applegreen? Maybe Applegreen are going to put in their own machine? I think I read in this thread somewhere they had plans to revamp the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

GavMan wrote: »
    Presume you mean in Applegreen? Maybe Applegreen are going to put in their own machine? I think I read in this thread somewhere they had plans to revamp the station.

yes they have been approved for a massive overhaul since march of last year

Advertisement