Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The Council held lots of votes on Friday to appoint the Mayor, Deputy Mayor, policy committee chairs and lots of other committee positions (including the KWETB). From sitting in the gallery, it looked like most if not all of the 39 councillors other than Fiona had the list of who had been agreed to go on the various committees. That means the political parties (FF, FG, Labour, Greens, Social Democrats and SF) as well as the three other independent councillors were somehow involved in that process, with the active exclusion of just one member. That might be the hard-knocks of politics, but it seems like bad form to not even print off a copy of the list on the day for her.

In spite of not being on their agreed list for one of the 7 appointments to the ETB, Fiona nominated herself to at least get put to a vote, and not one councillor seconded her. If she is known for anything in the county, it is the work she did in the last five years to get good governance and transparency around the ETB. That work, and the whistleblowers who came to her, lies at the heart of the Garda and Departmental investigations. Amazing that she couldn't even find one councillor to break ranks - especially as they had so many positions to fill.

As for the leaving in a huff comment, those following the last council will remember Fiona tried raising some of these issues at the time. The then Mayor was also the vice-chair of the ETB and a senior FG representative, and he organised meetings of the party leaders to block her putting down motions by not providing seconders. She was left with no option but to put down a motion of no confidence in the Mayor, which in retrospect seems perfectly reasonable, and FG suspended her.

She tried her best to raise items in the public interest, was silenced and marginalised, and then suspended for calling them on their bad behaviour. Sadly, the same pattern seems to be present in the new chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Very well put Aodh Rua. That’s what I thought happened but couldn’t phrase it as well as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

aodh_rua wrote: »

In spite of not being on their agreed list for one of the 7 appointments to the ETB, Fiona nominated herself to at least get put to a vote, and not one councillor seconded her. If she is known for anything in the county, it is the work she did in the last five years to get good governance and transparency around the ETB. That work, and the whistleblowers who came to her, lies at the heart of the Garda and Departmental investigations. Amazing that she couldn't even find one councillor to break ranks - especially as they had so many positions to fill.

As for the leaving in a huff comment, those following the last council will remember Fiona tried raising some of these issues at the time. The then Mayor was also the vice-chair of the ETB and a senior FG representative, and he organised meetings of the party leaders to block her putting down motions by not providing seconders. She was left with no option but to put down a motion of no confidence in the Mayor, which in retrospect seems perfectly reasonable, and FG suspended her.

She tried her best to raise items in the public interest, was silenced and marginalised, and then suspended for calling them on their bad behaviour. Sadly, the same pattern seems to be present in the new chamber.
    Are there investigations going on. I never heard of them. What exactly are the allegations.

mickmac76 wrote: »
    Are there investigations going on. I never heard of them. What exactly are the allegations.

Google KWETB and hit News

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

mickmac76 wrote: »

Who needs enemies when you work with 'colleagues' like these?

• Advertisement

Google KWETB and hit News

Just did this Aodh_Rua but the latest news item I can find is almost exactly 2 months ago:

http://kildarewicklow.etb.ie/news-listing/

Surely and especially after the local elections there is more up-to-date news?

Just did this Aodh_Rua but the latest news item I can find is almost exactly 2 months ago:

http://kildarewicklow.etb.ie/news-listing/

Surely and especially after the local elections there is more up-to-date news?

Are you checking the KWETB's own news page? That's not what I meant.

If you check the News link on Google you get stories from RTÉ, the Irish Times, TheJounal.ie, Kfm, the Leader and more about the various Garda, Public Accounts Committee, Comptroller & Auditor General and Department of Education investigations into misuse of funds and massive procurement issues. There was also a Prime Time special.

Are you checking the KWETB's own news page? That's not what I meant.

If you check the News link on Google you get stories from RTÉ, the Irish Times, TheJounal.ie, Kfm, the Leader and more about the various Garda, Public Accounts Committee, Comptroller & Auditor General and Department of Education investigations into misuse of funds and massive procurement issues. There was also a Prime Time special.

Thanks Aodh_Rua. Real eye opener this. The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

The reason she was excluded from FG seems to be that she isn't one of Haydens cronies. How that man got elected, then re-elected and is now the (I think) chair of the parliamentary party baffles me. It's a sure sign that stroke politics is alive and well and that nobody is going to rock the boat. Politics in this country has become a family business. They are all related and look after each other. Someone who wants to rock the boat, despite getting the biggest vote in the recent local election, is never going to be welcomed by the establishment. They will look at her vote numbers and think, how are we going to cut that in the next election.

The reason she was excluded from FG seems to be that she isn't one of Haydens cronies. How that man got elected, then re-elected and is now the (I think) chair of the parliamentary party baffles me. It's a sure sign that stroke politics is alive and well and that nobody is going to rock the boat. Politics in this country has become a family business. They are all related and look after each other. Someone who wants to rock the boat, despite getting the biggest vote in the recent local election, is never going to be welcomed by the establishment. They will look at her vote numbers and think, how are we going to cut that in the next election.

Any wonder People are fed up with the FFG cartel. Personally, I always got the feeling Heydon only made 'noises' in Newbridge when it suited Him, & always got the impression He was more interested in the very southern part of Kildare.

I'll always remember when Vincent Browne held the debate in the Keadeen. At one stage He asked both FMcLH & Heydon are they from the one and the same party? Says it all really. Was trying to find the clip on youtube but cannot...sadly.

You are so right Maxwell Smart when You question how the person with the biggest number of votes in the recent LOCAL elections is being excluded. I'm no fan of FMcLH ( though I did give Her my #1 in the local elections) but at least She HAS Newbridge at heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Anyone know what happened to Dermot Kelly opticians ? I see a tolet sign up there, are they gone completely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

tossy wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to Dermot Kelly opticians ? I see a tolet sign up there, are they gone completely ?

Seems so, last time I was there about a year ago he said he was struggling to keep up with the multinationals down the road, must have succumbed..

It's sad. Was a nice shop with lovely staff & a very nice man is Dermot.

Not too many local shops left now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Any wonder People are fed up with the FFG cartel. Personally, I always got the feeling Heydon only made 'noises' in Newbridge when it suited Him, & always got the impression He was more interested in the very southern part of Kildare.

I'll always remember when Vincent Browne held the debate in the Keadeen. At one stage He asked both FMcLH & Heydon are they from the one and the same party? Says it all really. Was trying to find the clip on youtube but cannot...sadly.

You are so right Maxwell Smart when You question how the person with the biggest number of votes in the recent LOCAL elections is being excluded. I'm no fan of FMcLH ( though I did give Her my #1 in the local elections) but at least She HAS Newbridge at heart.

I dunno. People may have their issues with Martin Hayden but since I've been here, he's the only rep (local or national) who has shown any sort of interest in (for example) the issue with the estate where I live and the council refusing to take charge after their own admin blunder. So I give him the benefit of the doubt.

That being said, he does be knocking around Athy and the hinterlands alot if you follow on social media

What is your issue(s) with FMCLH? Like you, I do believe she cares a lot about Newbridge

GavMan wrote: »
    I dunno. People may have their issues with Martin Hayden but since I've been here, he's the only rep (local or national) who has shown any sort of interest in (for example) the issue with the estate where I live and the council refusing to take charge after their own admin blunder. So I give him the benefit of the doubt.

That being said, he does be knocking around Athy and the hinterlands alot if you follow on social media

What is your issue(s) with FMCLH? Like you, I do believe she cares a lot about Newbridge

About 12 years ago, our estate had many issues ( it was new then). The RA approached many cllrs. for assistance. Among those who helped were Paddy Kennedy & Pat Black. We held an AGM and invited PB along to give feedback on the issues. Somehow, FG cllrs got wind of this AGM, and about 4 of them rocked up, and heckled PB as if we were in Kildare Street. We had to stop the meeting and tell them to leave. Thye did.

Ever since then, I despise FG with a passion. As for FMcLH, I don't really have any issues with Her except for the fact She is ex FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Roadworks every night by the ESB for the next four weeks from 7pm to 7am from the water Tower on Cutlery Road out to Buckley's Cross roundabout. Long delays expected.

With this added to the m7 works, the lidl warehouse and the sewage upgrade Newbridge is certainly getting it's fair share of road works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

anyone know when the court yard extension is been started

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    anyone know when the court yard extension is been started

While on that topic, anyone know when ALDI are even starting to build?

BTW Tommy, sorry, I have no idea bout the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

While on that topic, anyone know when ALDI are even starting to build?

BTW Tommy, sorry, I have no idea bout the extension.

Don't know if it's related but passing by the area next to circle k there was cones out on the road plus a couple of construction machinery parked at the two houses there. As far as I know that's the location of the new Aldi development, which I think is related to the courtyard extension, although I could be wrong

The Aldi store is still listed on their website for a November opening. All other stores listed on that have previously opened so hopefully that is a good sign. They take 4-6 months to build so they'll need to start soon for that date to be realistic.

Cazale wrote:
    The Aldi store is still listed on their website for a November opening. All other stores listed on that have previously opened so hopefully that is a good sign. They take 4-6 months to build so they'll need to start soon for that date to be realistic.

I contacted Aldi about this and they said they have no information about the store opening.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    I contacted Aldi about this and they said they have no information about the store opening.

Thanks for checking Cazale. I got my car washed beside Casey's this morning, certainly seems the area is exactly as it has been for a long time now.

Damn disgrace a town the size of Newbridge hasn't got an Aldi store.

Not sure if it's ok to post the following:

My Daughter went to Educate Together. She finished 6th class last week. On the last day ( Thursday 27th ) the rest of the school formed a guard of honour to all the graduates ( 2 classes).

I have never experienced this before & You made my Daughter ( and all 6th classers feel special. I just want to take this opportunity to thank Eimear and Her excellent Staff for everything they have done over the years. NETNS & Newbridge can be proud of You all.

Now if only we had politicians with balls who had the foresight and had funded the building of a secondary Educate Together so Newbridge pupils could follow on from primary - but thats for another days discussion.

Not sure if it's ok to post the following:

My Daughter went to Educate Together. She finished 6th class last week. On the last day ( Thursday 27th ) the rest of the school formed a guard of honour to all the graduates ( 2 classes).

I have never experienced this before & You made my Daughter ( and all 6th classers feel special. I just want to take this opportunity to thank Eimear and Her excellent Staff for everything they have done over the years. NETNS & Newbridge can be proud of You all.

Now if only we had politicians with balls who had the foresight and had funded the building of a secondary Educate Together so Newbridge pupils could follow on from primary - but thats for another days discussion.

It's an amazing school, and our kids love it.

You're dead right regarding the secondary school. I think the local TDs selling some kind of arrangement with a redeveloped ETB in the Curragh is a pretty cynical exercise in trading parental goodwill for expediency. I can't see the kind of natural progression that a fully fledged Educate Together secondary would have offered.

I see Lidl is being upgraded this week to the new store layout they have in Naas which allows for more space and extra products.

Cazale wrote: »
    I see Lidl is being upgraded this week to the new store layout they have in Naas which allows for more space and extra products.

Just about to go over there for weekly shopping. They still open while renovating?

BTW, just back from holidays, was in Lidl in Porto, what a difference!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Just about to go over there for weekly shopping. They still open while renovating?

BTW, just back from holidays, was in Lidl in Porto, what a difference!!!

In what way was it different?

NedNew2 wrote: »
    In what way was it different?

OK, First, Lidl is open and it appears the renovations are either well underway or coplete.

As for Lidl in Porto? Many changes, although saying that seeing the renovated store here is more akin to Porto.

One thing that struck me, there there was sun roofs to protect the cars while shopping. Yes, I know we don't get their sun here, but surely rain can also be used as an 'excuse' for sheltering?

Another the store I was in has a coffee counter with a person behind the counter serving. The reason I mention that is because I noticed in our local Lidl this morning, there is also a coffee vending machine. That may have been here for a good while, I may just never have seen it there before.

Another thing which struck me was the bakery section. Over there, each category of bread roll is in a cabinet, almost completely closed off from the customer. The customer has to use a special long handle shovel to push the breadroll into a chute, and the customer can then take what they pushed into the chute. I also saw that they crush fresh oranges when someone wants fresh orange juice - this I also saw in many different stores there.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Interesting. I like that idea of making fresh orange juice like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

anyone know why they are digging up outside the post office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    anyone know why they are digging up outside the post office

My guess would be someting to do with the planned refurbishment of the post office. Think they were granted permission a few weeks back.

Advertisement