Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Is anyone using sky broadband at the moment. Just wondering what the speed of it is like in the town as I am considering getting it in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Is anyone using sky broadband at the moment. Just wondering what the speed of it is like in the town as I am considering getting it in

Sorry for the delay in replying Tommy. I’m with Sky broadband. I am up here in Roseberry Hill. I just checked our speed on www.speedtest.net and the DL.speed is 51.6 & the UL is 17.6.

Hope this helps.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Get Siro if you can. Getting 1gb download. No point in DSL anymore if you can get true FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Get Siro if you can. Getting 1gb download. No point in DSL anymore if you can get true FTTH.

Is Siro in Newbridge ? They installed all the way to outside my home and the next step to do is to my ESB box. That was 18/24 months ago. Haven’t heard anything since.

I have Virgin Media for BB. Wired connection gets a steady 344/32 up/down for 360 service at 64 per month.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Damien360 wrote: »
    Is Siro in Newbridge ? They installed all the way to outside my home and the next step to do is to my ESB box. That was 18/24 months ago. Haven’t heard anything since.

I have Virgin Media for BB. Wired connection gets a steady 344/32 up/down for 360 service at 64 per month.

Yes I have it for nearly a year it’s great. I switched from VM.

• Advertisement

if its outside your house you can get it. they only did the last part when i ordered siro from vodafone
    Sorry for the delay in replying Tommy. I’m with Sky broadband. I am up here in Roseberry Hill. I just checked our speed on www.speedtest.net and the DL.speed is 51.6 & the UL is 17.6.

Hope this helps.

what speed have you signed up to?

if its outside your house you can get it. they only did the last part when i ordered siro from vodafone

what speed have you signed up to?

Just coming back to this. When I check the Siro website, it’s says it is not available at my address. Vodafone site says similar. How did you get this last step done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Just coming back to this. When I check the Siro website, it’s says it is not available at my address. Vodafone site says similar. How did you get this last step done ?
    Same here. They asked me to sign for permission to do the work maybe 2 years ago, but it still isn't available from my address, according to their website. I'm not bothered though because my brother (who lives close enough to me) had it for a year but got rid of it because it kept losing the signal regularly, and got nothing near the promised speeds, just the interruptions to the service. He moved to Virgin Media and thinks it's much better.

Same here. They asked me to sign for permission to do the work maybe 2 years ago, but it still isn't available from my address, according to their website. I'm not bothered though because my brother (who lives close enough to me) had it for a year but got rid of it because it kept losing the signal regularly, and got nothing near the promised speeds, just the interruptions to the service. He moved to Virgin Media and thinks it's much better.

I got a reply from Siro. I’m in a semi detached and the even number houses can access but not the odd numbers. Below is the response from Siro. So I assume that rules out many semi-D and terraced houses straight away.

“We thank you for your interest in SIRO.
    We've been in touch with our design team and unfortunately your home is unable to be connected to SIRO at this time.
    This is due to topographical issues concerning your home. Your home has a looped connection, which means it cannot be connected to our network unless the adjoining neighbour is connected. However, this kind of connection is not always a guarantee.

We wish we had better news for you.”

Anyone any idea why the Red Lane ( lane opposite the Red House up at Toughers ) is closed? Last 2 days I had to come in by Wyatt & the queue was long.

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea why the Red Lane ( lane opposite the Red House up at Toughers ) is closed? Last 2 days I had to come in by Wyatt & the queue was long.

i know red house has an application in for a roundabout in front of the hotel but not sure if thats been approved

i know red house has an application in for a roundabout in front of the hotel but not sure if thats been approved

A roundabout? I wonder why? Isn’t the RH still derelict? Surely there won’ Be 2roundabouts near each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

They just have the crossing point closed, red lane itself is open though

A roundabout? I wonder why? Isn’t the RH still derelict? Surely there won’ Be 2roundabouts near each other?

a nursing home and a few other things have been granted planning permission in that RH site

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

a nursing home and a few other things have been granted planning permission in that RH site

It would be nice to see something going in there. I'd say it was a fine building back in the day.

silverview wrote: »
    It would be nice to see something going in there. I'd say it was a fine building back in the day.

Was in it just after they got ordered to stop,

Damn fine building, fecking huge.. much of it was almost finished, bed in rooms etc.

It's a ruin now..

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Was in it just after they got ordered to stop,

Damn fine building, fecking huge.. much of it was almost finished, bed in rooms etc.

It's a ruin now..

Hi, I was always curious to know the history of that place and why it is just abandoned now. Would someone in the know please spare a minute or two for a quick summary?

Thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Hi, I was always curious to know the history of that place and why it is just abandoned now. Would someone in the know please spare a minute or two for a quick summary?

Thanks

I don't know the specifics, but there was a fire and it burned down. Toughers bought it, and extended the size of it without permission. Not sure how many years it's been locked up now.

NedNew2 wrote: »

Thanks
    beertons wrote: »
    I don't know the specifics, but there was a fire and it burned down. Toughers bought it, and extended the size of it without permission. Not sure how many years it's been locked up now.

Pretty much correct, planning was there for rebuild but not exactly for the size it was built, stop works order was put in place by ABP/KCC, financial crash came at the same time, NAMA took over, property was sold, now in new owners hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The local joke was that every time Tommy flew over it he said add another wing or floor to it.

• Advertisement

I also heard that it was closed because of planning permission issues. I also think it’s a disgrace so many rooms are lying idle while 7 Kms south there are homeless people living in tents on the banks of the Liffey.

Shame on all the local TD’s & councilors for not doing anything about the scourge of homelessness.

I heard today that this has been sold and granted PP for the said houses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/newbridge-site-for-361-homes-for-13m-1.3781748

Anyone can confirm please? If so, I can see major objections ( if already not too late ) due to H2O pressure, the main exit to Dublin has to go over a 1 lane bridge, to mention but two reasons. There are more I can think of too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did Toughers not already own it many many years before the fire?

The hotel block was built vastly beyond the approved permission and the economic crash happened at the right time to ensure that never got sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

I heard today that this has been sold and granted PP for the said houses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/newbridge-site-for-361-homes-for-13m-1.3781748

Anyone can confirm please? If so, I can see major objections ( if already not too late ) due to H2O pressure, the main exit to Dublin has to go over a 1 lane bridge, to mention but two reasons. There are more I can think of too.

I'm not 100% sure if its too late but i would imagine it is. I heard that Sarsfields GAA club had objective to the development. Its mad there is no facilities in that part of the town to facilitate all these houses... schools, shops, access roads etc... Your right the main exit to Naas/Dublin is over a bridge but if your going to the curragh from there you would pass by the meadows and would need to go over another narrow bridge to get to McLoughlins garage... its bonkers... at the very least that bridge needs to have traffic lights on it with a one way system and footpaths!!!

silverview wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure if its too late but i would imagine it is. I heard that Sarsfields GAA club had objective to the development. Its mad there is no facilities in that part of the town to facilitate all these houses... schools, shops, access roads etc... Your right the main exit to Naas/Dublin is over a bridge but if your going to the curragh from there you would pass by the meadows and would need to go over another narrow bridge to get to McLoughlins garage... its bonkers... at the very least that bridge needs to have traffic lights on it with a one way system and footpaths!!!

You're right Silverview, it is too late. Not only did Sarsfields put in an objection, but also numerous private people as well as the Residents Association in Roseberry Hill. Many others did also, see file number 16975 under kildarecoco. This project couldn't go ahead until such time as an interceptor was constructed at Osberstown - this is nearly complete, see all the pipework along the dual carriageway past Toughters? Thats part of the project. I couold be wrong but I also believe the closure of the Rathangan Road last week was also because of this.

I live in RH, and some evenings I cannot get into my street as it is blocked by people trying to turn in to park at the Centra. And that is now??? Remember we also have another new estate directly opposite us at the roundabout. And now they want to put another 350-400 houses on our doorstep? Another thing which is making people very angry here is that the developer is going to use 2 roads in RH as access points to this new development. These roads were measured for width & they were found to be too narrow to be used as thoroughfares (currently both roads are dead ends ). KCC deemed these roads to be of adequate width-shifting the goalposts.

Crazy stuff!!!

And all this gets granted less than a year after the petrol station/shop/food outlet development was turned down in the wasteland opposite the dept. of defence. Backward thinking clowns.

Should have been fast-tracked, not turned down :rolleyes:

L1011 wrote: »
    Did Toughers not already own it many many years before the fire?

The hotel block was built vastly beyond the approved permission and the economic crash happened at the right time to ensure that never got sorted out.

No, it was owned by Frank Fallon. His son Brian was running it for years. Brian bought Bernie's in Kilcullen afterwards, and started going for the smaller wedding parties. Boutique venue. Fabulous food as always. Same staff transferred over too.

No, it was owned by Frank Fallon. His son Brian was running it for years. Brian bought Bernie's in Kilcullen afterwards, and started going for the smaller wedding parties. Boutique venue. Fabulous food as always. Same staff transferred over too.

Are you mixing up the old place that burnt down that used to be on that spot. Kitchen fire that went out of control. They moved that buisness to Kilcullen but the plot, I thought, was sold on to Tougher's, and they built the hotel.

That's what I was saying. Toughers only bought it after the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Looks like the shortcut to the railway station in newbridge is getting closed up.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/473720/residents-annoyed-over-rail-station-path-closure-plan.html

Advertisement