Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Nosnon wrote: »
    I heard Iceland was going in to donals. One of the women that use to work in donals is a friend of my mother.

How would a former staff member of a store that closed many months ago have information on commercially sensitive lease negotiations.

Planning would never be given for a supermarket in that location. It's also far too small for a store like Iceland who look for 8,000-10,000 Sq ft and easy parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Darc19 wrote: »
    How would a former staff member of a store that closed many months ago have information on commercially sensitive lease negotiations.

Planning would never be given for a supermarket in that location. It's also far too small for a store like Iceland who look for 8,000-10,000 Sq ft and easy parking.

Iceland have some smaller stores and stores without much (Ballyfermot) / any (Talbot Street) parking if they have the custom around. Now, Newbridge might not provide that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The one in Carlow is small enough and has a shared car park. About 20 spots total.

The one in Carlow is small enough and has a shared car park. About 20 spots total.

Way more than 20 spaces in that little center. I'd hazzard a guess at 50-60

Ballyfermot has 15-20 spaces and plenty more off road in the vicinity.

Planning would be near impossible for both the donals and chartbusters sites.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the old Finlay site which applegreen is redeveloping. But that is purely a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Spoke with the guys in the car wash behind Caseys this morning. They told me they have to move within the next month. They already have sorta moved back to Applegreen, but fully back there within a month.

Guess the building of Aldi is almost upon us...About time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Spoke with the guys in the car wash behind Caseys this morning. They told me they have to move within the next month. They already have sorta moved back to Applegreen, but fully back there within a month.

Guess the building of Aldi is almost upon us...About time!

I’ll probably continue to use the kildare one as traffic in Newbridge will make the Newbridge one unreachable.

There is digging of that car park on the Home Store side of the great Dunne’s Wall. Just beside Home Store and in front of DID. Seems an odd place to dig. Is it to be converted to another retail outlet or water works ? Builders using site entrance to the right of DID (as you approach) so I guess that’s Aldi.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I’ll probably continue to use the kildare one as traffic in Newbridge will make the Newbridge one unreachable.

There is digging of that car park on the Home Store side of the great Dunne’s Wall. Just beside Home Store and in front of DID. Seems an odd place to dig. Is it to be converted to another retail outlet or water works ? Builders using site entrance to the right of DID (as you approach) so I guess that’s Aldi.

I thought Aldi was moving into the empty store to the left of DID (looking out from their front doors). Maybe where You are talking about is where Iceland is going? Purely a guess though.

I thought Aldi was moving into the empty store to the left of DID (looking out from their front doors). Maybe where You are talking about is where Iceland is going? Purely a guess though.

As far as i know and I think it was posted in this thread before. Where that building is beside DID is coming down. Also in the courtyard shopping centre the former Kavanaghs in the corner is coming out and a road will link the 2.

As far as i know and I think it was posted in this thread before. Where that building is beside DID is coming down. Also in the courtyard shopping centre the former Kavanaghs in the corner is coming out and a road will link the 2.

The planning permission is for exactly this. I can’t for the life of me see this all done in 6 months. I didn’t think they were bringing the old toy store building down but definitely exiting into car park where Kavanagh’s used to be. Was that approved ? They don’t need the upstairs of old toy store and I would have thought the downstairs was big enough for Aldi.

I had to drive up to Dublin last night. There was some serious puddles of water between the new Lidl & Toughers roundabouts. Also the round@biut at Toughers had surface water almost from the Centre roundabout & the left hand side.

Caution is my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Damien360 wrote:
    The planning permission is for exactly this. I can’t for the life of me see this all done in 6 months. I didn’t think they were bringing the old toy store building down but definitely exiting into car park where Kavanagh’s used to be. Was that approved ? They don’t need the upstairs of old toy store and I would have thought the downstairs was big enough for Aldi.

It's only a small part at the end of those buildings being removed to open up access to the wider courtyard redevelopment. As far as I know they have already removed what they need. The aldi stores themselves are fairly easy to build so six months should be more than enough.

Are Iceland definitely coming to Newbridge or is it just rumours so far?

Cazale wrote: »
    Are Iceland definitely coming to Newbridge or is it just rumours so far?

I honestly don’t know Cazale. Btw, I was up the town this morning, & see the building beside DID has been demolished already.

I honestly don’t know Cazale. Btw, I was up the town this morning, & see the building beside DID has been demolished already.

Yeah that's like that a few weeks now. I've sent them a message on Twitter to see if they have any plans.

The maxol garage at ballymany is currently being extended with a drive thru service. Asked the girl at the counter and she thinks it's gonna be a burger king.

Its going to be a supermacs.

Nosnon wrote:

We did both say we would rather a supermacs. Happy days!

Cazale wrote:
    Yeah that's like that a few weeks now. I've sent them a message on Twitter to see if they have any plans.

Iceland got back to me and say they have no immediate plans to open a store in Newbridge.

Chopped seems to have closed in the whitewater.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

Good stuff i think a supermacs would do well in Newbridge and also better than Burger king.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

silverview wrote: »
    Good stuff i think a supermacs would do well in Newbridge and also better than Burger king.

Too right it will, I'm currently throwing away all my non stretchy pants in preparation.

silverview wrote: »

I only can think of 2 other supermacs small petrol station outlets and they are both very poor. One is in athlone not far from Hodson bay hotel and the other is on the old Dublin road in ballinasloe. Hope the Newbridge one is better.

Just to preface the above, the big motorway ones are excellent.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I only can think of 2 other supermacs small petrol station outlets and they are both very poor. One is in athlone not far from Hodson bay hotel and the other is on the old Dublin road in ballinasloe. Hope the Newbridge one is better.

Just to preface the above, the big motorway ones are excellent.

The one in Edenderry's not bad to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Cazale wrote: »
    The maxol garage at ballymany is currently being extended with a drive thru service. Asked the girl at the counter and she thinks it's gonna be a burger king.

burger king was approved in applegreen. the old finalys garage years ago but it never happened

Hi

Am not sure this is the right place for this post, so Mods, if You feel it ought to be elsewhere, feel free to move:

I notice lately that BE aren't running the 126 anymore, seems its the same crowd with a bus garage up in Ballymount. Am I imagining things or are the new crowds buses much longer ( thus assuming they can have more fares per coach)? Also have they increased the frequency? Tonight I was driving down from Dublin, and passed 2 of them one after the other heading south. One was a 126x ( Rathangan ) am not sure what number the one in front was. There was ONE person on the 126x, aside from the driver of course. Couldn't see how many were on the other one - windows very dirty.

Surely this is ridiculous having 2 coaches almost bumper to bumper driving down the N7? That surely cannot pay!

Or am I missing a trick?

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    burger king was approved in applegreen. the old finalys garage years ago but it never happened

That planning was only fully approved in April 2018.

It's probably not a priority for them and they have 5 years to do it.

The Aldi permission was granted 6 months before that and they haven't started yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

I see a speed van outside kilcullen national school when passing through yesterday evening on way to newbridge, 1st time I had seen it there
    anyone else spot new locations near newbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Just down the road in Monasterevin there's a part-time job (3 days a week) going for an Architectural Technician.

You will be given the opportunity to work on unique, one-off projects both domestic and commercial.

Reporting to the Company Director the key responsibilities of the role will include but not be limited to:

· Delivery of high-quality drawings based on specifications
    · Liaising with contractors
    · Ensure compliance with quality standards in CAD drawings

Requirements for the role:

· Experience in CAD and similar drawing packages is essential
    · Excellent verbal and written communication skills
    · Excellent architectural knowledge
    · Experience of planning procedures, is desired but not essential
    · Organising and prioritising own workload

For more information and to apply, go to https://kildarejobs.ie/job/14105461/architectural-technician-part-time-family-run-business

Cazale wrote:

Nosnon wrote:

Asked again and they said it's definitely going to be a Burger King.

• Advertisement

:( booo

Advertisement