Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The College are in the SCT final on paddy's day in the RDS for those that may be so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

chancer007 wrote: »
    I see a speed van outside kilcullen national school when passing through yesterday evening on way to newbridge, 1st time I had seen it there
    anyone else spot new locations near newbridge?
    Saw this Wednesday evening about 7.30, camera pointing towards Naas direction. Never heard of an accident there apart from someone trying to avoid a checkpoint crashing into a railing. No reason it being there at that time other than shooting fish in a barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

matchthis wrote: »
    Saw this Wednesday evening about 7.30, camera pointing towards Naas direction. Never heard of an accident there apart from someone trying to avoid a checkpoint crashing into a railing. No reason it being there at that time other than shooting fish in a barrel

They used to park in that field entrance just after Tougher's roundabout heading towards Naas. A Garda told me that there had hardly ever been an accident there. They also used to park in the field entrance opposite Maxol heading into Newbridge from The Curragh, yet another place I am unsure if there ever was an accident.

The logic with the positioning of the gatso vans defies logic sometimes.

On the flip side of the coin, they used to park on the N7 just before The Poitín Stil where there have been multiple accidents - only one yesterday. I haven't seen them there for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

They also used to park in the field entrance opposite Maxol heading into Newbridge from The Curragh, yet another place I am unsure if there ever was an accident..

I got 2 points for speeding there - doing 55 at 7.00am.
    Someone told me it’s a 50 limit because a pedestrian was killed there in the late 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

They used to park in that field entrance just after Tougher's roundabout heading towards Naas. A Garda told me that there had hardly ever been an accident there. They also used to park in the field entrance opposite Maxol heading into Newbridge from The Curragh, yet another place I am unsure if there ever was an accident.

The logic with the positioning of the gatso vans defies logic sometimes.

On the flip side of the coin, they used to park on the N7 just before The Poitín Stil where there have been multiple accidents - only one yesterday. I haven't seen them there for a long time now.

The Newbridge-Naas at toughers had accidents when there was no motorway. In all honesty, the junction just down from it (crossroads) is lethal in the morning. The amount of idiots that pull out and straight into the overtaking lane is silly.

The maxol garage accident is a few years ago. Christmas, guy had drink after fight with girlfriend, crashed and died on the outbound to Kildare part of the road. You see flowers placed just past maxol (200m) every so often.

The new camera in the morning is inbound just before the join from kingswood. On the hard shoulder. Was there for the last 2 fridays.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    The Newbridge-Naas at toughers had accidents when there was no motorway. In all honesty, the junction just down from it (crossroads) is lethal in the morning. The amount of idiots that pull out and straight into the overtaking lane is silly.

The maxol garage accident is a few years ago. Christmas, guy had drink after fight with girlfriend, crashed and died on the outbound to Kildare part of the road. You see flowers placed just past maxol (200m) every so often.

The new camera in the morning is inbound just before the join from kingswood. On the hard shoulder. Was there for the last 2 fridays.

Assuming You are referring to the junction at the Red House, I am amazed that junction was never permanently closed off a few months ago when it was closed to facilitate the pipe laying in the centre reservation. Also having a bust stop immediatly after the junction ( coming up) is also a recipe for an accident waiting to happen.

I use the guys by Casey's every week.

I was there yesterday, and they were telling me they are moving end of this month. They are moving to beside Dunne's wall ( on the DID side ) ie: stand at DID's front entrance, and they are moving to the right between DID & Homecare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

That junction will be gone if the hotel/nursing home gets permission. It will be closed off and a new roundabout built about 300m west of the current location

silver2020 wrote: »
    That junction will be gone if the hotel/nursing home gets permission. It will be closed off and a new roundabout built about 300m west of the current location

You saying The Red House is re-opening?

You saying The Red House is re-opening?

whenever they sort the planning issues. Access has to be changed, once that's sorted their planning from 2016 for nursing/hotel/film studio will be back on the table.

Planning is under owners "Blockstar" on the planning pages of KCC.

Quite impressive if it all comes together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Newbridge pub flouts coronavirus restrictions with a lock-in:

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/528048/drinkers-found-in-newbridge-pub-despite-coronavirus-warning.html

Gardai need to be given the powers to shut this down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/528048/drinkers-found-in-newbridge-pub-despite-coronavirus-warning.html

Ahh, the auld curragh inn, must have been holding one of their regular mensa meetings.

:pac:

Disgraceful but they have broken no law. It was advise to close doors of pubs and it is principally policed by social media. Not even sure it can be used against them when they reapply yearly for their licence.

Disgraceful but they have broken no law. It was advise to close doors of pubs and it is principally policed by social media. Not even sure it can be used against them when they reapply yearly for their licence.

Name and shame I say!

Anyone else see the queue for McDonalds this evening. I was in Tescos 30 minutes ago, and You'd swear the world was coming to an end tonight.

The queue was back up towards McLoughlins ( as far as I could see exiting Tescos anyhow).

Anyone else see the queue for McDonalds this evening. I was in Tescos 30 minutes ago, and You'd swear the world was coming to an end tonight.

The queue was back up towards McLoughlins ( as far as I could see exiting Tescos anyhow).

They won’t all be for McD’s. That junction is a mess down to Dunnes and many of those cars will be for Tesco/dunnes/Lidl.

There was a queue of people outside woodies, I think Saturday. We took one look and drove away. People standing in an orderly queue at the back of the car park complete with the odd trolley.

Is the whitewater still in full swing ? Haven’t been there since all this started, maybe week before Paddy’s day.

Getting in one last Happy Meal while they can. All McDonalds in the UK and Ireland closed at 7 pm today.
    Nando's too.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/mcdonalds-to-close-restaurants-in-uk-and-ireland-on-monday

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Ahh, the auld curragh inn, must have been holding one of their regular mensa meetings.

:pac:

Is this confirmed or hear say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Damien360 wrote:
    Is the whitewater still in full swing ? Haven’t been there since all this started, maybe week before Paddy’s day.

Haven't been there in weeks myself but heard most places are closed. Debenhams were holding out but most of their concessions pulled their staff out yesterday so they have been forced to close. Marks and Spencer and Dealz are still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

garbeth wrote: »
    Is this confirmed or hear say

Confirmed hearsay..

What confirmation do you need?

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    Haven't been there in weeks myself but heard most places are closed. Debenhams were holding out but most of their concessions pulled their staff out yesterday so they have been forced to close. Marks and Spencer and Dealz are still open.

Shopping centres have to stay open unless they are told to close by government.

If they closed they'd be in breach of their lease commitments to tenants and there are retailers (usually the big ones) that would take advantage of that and close stores for good.

So until there is a directive, all centres will stay open even if all the stores are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The most prominent licencing barrister in the country (she actually has written the book on licencing) has stated that she believes it would be sufficient to strip a licence by failure of the fit and proper person test.

Is there a reason why the govt can't order (rather than nicely ask) the pubs to shutter?

It would be nice if everyone pulled together in a crisis, but you can't expect full cooperation. Some people act badly out of fear or denial. And some people are just dicks.

Is there a reason why the govt can't order (rather than nicely ask) the pubs to shutter?

It would be nice if everyone pulled together in a crisis, but you can't expect full cooperation. Some people act badly out of fear or denial. And some people are just dicks.

I can only assume they didn’t want to waste garda time policing another law as they don’t have time. An easy way would be a closure order with a part stating loss of licence for that premises for that year and 2 subsequent years making the value of the premises worthless if any decided to chance it and then sell.

Yesterday being a stunning day, we took our dog for walkies down to the College. We live in Roseberry Hill.

Some observations:

Good:
    Newbridge walkers are wonderful people. Always greeting.
    Drivers in the main going over Sexes Bridge are very accomodwating slowing down when people walk in the middle of the road.

Bad:

The amount of dogsh1t left on the footpaths is a shocking eyesore.
    The amount of rubbish thrown into the hedges alongside the road going over Sexes Bridge is woeful
    I wonder just who the people who wear disposable gloves and when finished throw them on the ground, who they expect to pick them up? Is it a case of 'I'm all right jack, FU'?

Sorry for the rant, but it's time we took pride in our Town.

Stay safe everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Yesterday being a stunning day, we took our dog for walkies down to the College. We live in Roseberry Hill.

Some observations:

Good:
    Newbridge walkers are wonderful people. Always greeting.
    Drivers in the main going over Sexes Bridge are very accomodwating slowing down when people walk in the middle of the road.

Bad:

The amount of dogsh1t left on the footpaths is a shocking eyesore.
    The amount of rubbish thrown into the hedges alongside the road going over Sexes Bridge is woeful
    I wonder just who the people who wear disposable gloves and when finished throw them on the ground, who they expect to pick them up? Is it a case of 'I'm all right jack, FU'?

Sorry for the rant, but it's time we took pride in our Town.

Stay safe everyone!

Dog ****e is a huge issue in the Walshestown and Liffey Hall side of town also. I mean pick up your **** and carry your rubbish. Doesn't get simpler than that. There is a secondary issue around the scarcity of public bins but some personal responsibility goes a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I've noticed this too - it seems there are a lot of idiots around who actually do the nasty\difficult bit (i.e. picking up the dog poo, putting it into the bag and tying the bag) and then just lazily toss the bag away into the ditch, or in a lot of cases, just leave it on the ground...:mad::mad::confused::confused:

in that case you would be better to the environment just leaving it cos now you've introduced a piece of plastic that is just going to hang around as rubbish for the next x number of years

I swear, some people are real class A dicks....I'd love to catch someone doing it. I'd have some life questions to ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

We walk through standhouse on the way to and from school and the dog dirt on the paths is infuriating. Between the kids walking in it or pushing a pram through it, id have to clean it once every couple of weeks. Theres a good chunk of people who just couldnt care less and leave there dogs out to roam around.

I've noticed this too - it seems there are a lot of idiots around who actually do the nasty\difficult bit (i.e. picking up the dog poo, putting it into the bag and tying the bag) and then just lazily toss the bag away into the ditch, or in a lot of cases, just leave it on the ground...:mad::mad::confused::confused:

in that case you would be better to the environment just leaving it cos now you've introduced a piece of plastic that is just going to hang around as rubbish for the next x number of years

I swear, some people are real class A dicks....I'd love to catch someone doing it. I'd have some life questions to ask them

That was some of the many 'varieties' of rubbish I saw in the hedge walking over Sexes Bridge.

• Advertisement

ladyella wrote: »
    We walk through standhouse on the way to and from school and the dog dirt on the paths is infuriating. Between the kids walking in it or pushing a pram through it, id have to clean it once every couple of weeks. Theres a good chunk of people who just couldnt care less and leave there dogs out to roam around.

Isn't that illegal?

Advertisement