Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

Isn't that illegal?

So is leaving dog sh!t on the ground but that doesnt bother some either. It smacks of ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

There is a 2 bed townhouse near me, and right now there are 4 cars visiting the occupants of the house.

A neighbour told me yesterday that a certain cafe in Main Street was open yesterday with tables and chairs on the public footpath.

I also hear there are a lot more cars on the roads these days.

Are people having a laugh? I wonder what BH they expect restrictions to be eased? The way it's going, it certainly won't be the May BH, I thought it might be the June one, but who knows? Ignorance breeds CV19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I noticed that Cafe Continental is back open and 2 tables outside. Looks like a messy setup inside to get coffee. Same entry and exit. And I think they are still serving the same coffee as before which in my opinion is poor quality. But that bits just a personal comment :)

I noticed that Cafe Continental is back open and 2 tables outside. Looks like a messy setup inside to get coffee. Same entry and exit. And I think they are still serving the same coffee as before which in my opinion is poor quality. But that bits just a personal comment :)

That's the cafe I was referring to in my previous message.

We really have a LOT to learn about 'social distancing'. And businesses will also have to adjust accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Do they really serve an "amazing breakfast"? Was never in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

it's a small local business trying it's best to survive. You can be damn sure small business still has to pay it's rent/lease.

I passed it yesterday and it was a small setup of a couple of tables outside. They probably have a license to do that as I have seen the tables outside on previous hot days. I would like to see councils ease back on restrictions to buisness setting up outside their premises and maybe a few more might survive. As long as they observe distancing guidelines, then they need support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I find the whining about this that and the other by self appointed righteous types the worst part of this lock down.

It's very prevalent on social media especially comments on Kildare Now and some here too.

Sort of like the squealing young school kids do.

If a business is open you can be sure they are following set guidelines.

I know many people in business, they've just recovered from a 10 year recession and are hit with this. And they have to read these whining comments by the internet "police" who frankly know eff all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Walked by the other day. One of the tables had two people sitting drinking coffee but another four people were standing chatting to them. We were regulars before all this so wish them well but six people so close was jarring enough in the current climate.

Cazale wrote: »
    Walked by the other day. One of the tables had two people sitting drinking coffee but another four people were standing chatting to them. We were regulars before all this so wish them well but six people so close was jarring enough in the current climate.

And that is exactly my reason for raising this, thanks Cazale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I can see why people are upset to see this kind of thing but IMHO how long is this survivable?

How many businesses have gone or will go out of business?
    How long can people survive with no work?
    How long can the government continue to make the 350 euro payment?
    How long will peoples mental health survive?

I get the need for all the restrictions i truly do but if this goes on for much longer will it result in a great depression? masses of people out of work, businesses closing down etc etc

A big thing for me is mental health. I suffer with depression and isolation is terrible for me. the longer this goes on the worse my mental health gets but that is just my situation.

In a greater scale world wide suicide is up, divorce is up, domestic abuse is up.

How long is enough before we go to far that we cant come back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    I can see why people are upset to see this kind of thing but IMHO how long is this survivable?

How many businesses have gone or will go out of business?
    How long can people survive with no work?
    How long can the government continue to make the 350 euro payment?
    How long will peoples mental health survive?

I get the need for all the restrictions i truly do but if this goes on for much longer will it result in a great depression? masses of people out of work, businesses closing down etc etc

A big thing for me is mental health. I suffer with depression and isolation is terrible for me. the longer this goes on the worse my mental health gets but that is just my situation.

In a greater scale world wide suicide is up, divorce is up, domestic abuse is up.

How long is enough before we go to far that we cant come back?

You have to stay positive. Money is important, but the fundamental strength of the economy is still there. Some businesses won't make it through, but I would hope that other new businesses will take their place. If there was a need before for that service, that will return.

Keep in contact with whoever you can, keep your body and mind occupied. Start an exercise regime and throw yourself into it.

But, at the same time, businesses should fully observe the Covid19 restrictions. If they don't, then we will continue to have restrictions placed upon us for some time to come.

Opening a coffee shop isn't the end of the world, but opening one, having a very haphazard serving system with little control on social distancing and also having people sitting outside the store where the temptation is for others to congregate, is very irresponsible.

If I remember correctly, there are two entrances into that shop. One should be Exit only and the outside tables should be removed. having them there is sending a signal to many people that, maybe, social distancing doesn't really need to be observed.

But for yourself, stay strong, keep active, talk to people (even on here)and make it through. We all know you can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Darc19 wrote: »
    I find the whining about this that and the other by self appointed righteous types the worst part of this lock down.

It's very prevalent on social media especially comments on Kildare Now and some here too.

Sort of like the squealing young school kids do.

If a business is open you can be sure they are following set guidelines.

I know many people in business, they've just recovered from a 10 year recession and are hit with this. And they have to read these whining comments by the internet "police" who frankly know eff all.

A ten year recession?
    In one of the biggest periods of economic growth known to man?

You have to stay positive. Money is important, but the fundamental strength of the economy is still there. Some businesses won't make it through, but I would hope that other new businesses will take their place. If there was a need before for that service, that will return.

Keep in contact with whoever you can, keep your body and mind occupied. Start an exercise regime and throw yourself into it.

But, at the same time, businesses should fully observe the Covid19 restrictions. If they don't, then we will continue to have restrictions placed upon us for some time to come.

Opening a coffee shop isn't the end of the world, but opening one, having a very haphazard serving system with little control on social distancing and also having people sitting outside the store where the temptation is for others to congregate, is very irresponsible.

If I remember correctly, there are two entrances into that shop. One should be Exit only and the outside tables should be removed. having them there is sending a signal to many people that, maybe, social distancing doesn't really need to be observed.

But for yourself, stay strong, keep active, talk to people (even on here)and make it through. We all know you can do it

Excellent post Maxwell Smart.

Tommy, I'm no psychologist, indeed I probably talk more sh1t that most can bear, but if You do need someone to talk to, PM me and we can arrange something. I'm in Roseberry Hill BTW, You near here?

Stay safe EVERYONE!!!

As if it isn't bad enough trying to be living as normal a life as possible, now this:

https://www.thejournal.ie/newbridge-assault-moorepark-newbridge-kildare-5087011-Apr2020/

I hope somebody loses that cell key with the scumbag inside the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

ELM327 wrote: »
    A ten year recession?
    In one of the biggest periods of economic growth known to man?

Recession started in early 2007, economy only recovered to pre recession levels in late 2016/ early 2017

As for the Cafe, I went by it today as I had to go to bergins, it has a strict policy of one person in the Cafe at a time. Only takeaway and yes it has 3 tables outside, well separated.

Plenty of people working around the place in essential retail. Why can't they get a coffee?

Should every coffee service shut - applegreen, circle k, maxol, spar?

Or let's target the small independent operators who are trying to survive.

Lots of people out and about the last few days. We went to the curragh today to let the kids kick a ball around and the amount of people cycling/walking/jogging along the Green Road was incredible. I had to slow right down a couple of times as pedestrians were out on the road, presumably in an effort to social distance. The council could really do with widening the pathway approaching the school there.
    Also, on a positive note, the painted rocks from Lumville Cross up are a gorgeous addition

ladyella wrote: »
    Lots of people out and about the last few days. We went to the curragh today to let the kids kick a ball around and the amount of people cycling/walking/jogging along the Green Road was incredible. I had to slow right down a couple of times as pedestrians were out on the road, presumably in an effort to social distance. The council could really do with widening the pathway approaching the school there.
    Also, on a positive note, the painted rocks from Lumville Cross up are a gorgeous addition

On the footpath width, I think KCC have a good few paths needing widening. I just wonder what they are going to do about Sexes Bridge?

I also saw the painted rocks. Fantastic addition to our beautiful Curragh, and well done whoever thought up & went to the trouble of painting. Just goes to show Newbridgers are CLASS and UNIQUELY talented.

Stay SAFE everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The woman who dreamt it up set up a facebook group if anyone is interested. https://www.facebook.com/groups/504735023741721/

Ken. wrote: »
    The woman who dreamt it up set up a facebook group if anyone is interested. https://www.facebook.com/groups/504735023741721/

Thanks for the heads up Ken. I don't do FB, but for anyone else like me, You CAN still see the page..WHAT A PAGE!

Thanks again Ken...much appreciated!:)

Just spent 2 hours looking at the link. Really INCREDIBLY FASCINATING! What talent there is in our midst.

Well done to all concerned.

• Advertisement

A friend of mine does similar over the northside of Dublin, Bayside Rocks on instagram. The creativity of it is really stunning. My kids are itching to place their newly placed rocks over in the Curragh, the excitement its brought in a time of dreary days is fantastic.

From the few on here and the many on facebook all I'm getting is

"thank god for something to keep the crotch goblins occupied for a few hours"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I don't suppose anybody would have a direct phone number for Tesco Newbridge? I rang the 1890 number on their store-locator, which redirected me to a 'customer service manager' which was just a message saying that due to unforeseen circumstances their lines were closed.

I was shopping their yesterday evening and I think I stupidly left my debit card in the machine and the till, and I've just realised. I wanted to confirm that it was there firstly, but when I physically go there after work, do you reckon I'd have to queue? I presume Customer Service would have it.

I don't suppose anybody would have a direct phone number for Tesco Newbridge? I rang the 1890 number on their store-locator, which redirected me to a 'customer service manager' which was just a message saying that due to unforeseen circumstances their lines were closed.

I was shopping their yesterday evening and I think I stupidly left my debit card in the machine and the till, and I've just realised. I wanted to confirm that it was there firstly, but when I physically go there after work, do you reckon I'd have to queue? I presume Customer Service would have it.

(045) 432 992

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

045 432 992 is on a Facebook page for them.

(045) 432 992
    Cazale wrote: »
    045 432 992 is on a Facebook page for them.

Thanks, both of you! I don't do Facebook.

And that's sorted! They have it, and I won't have to queue if I say it to the security guard (but she said I'll probably get a few dodgy looks from the queuers :D ).

Thanks again!! :D

ladyella wrote: »

We were out there yesterday - stunning day! You are so right about the numbers on The Green Road. ALL people need to be cautious there, especially around Educate Together onwards to The Curragh.

Hi

With all the 5km restrictions I'm just wondering are there any other walks I'm unaware of within the confines of Newbridge?

I have basically walked the length and breath of The Curragh. Also, the 2 canal walks in Milltown. Are there any more that I'm forgetting?

• Advertisement

Hi

With all the 5km restrictions I'm just wondering are there any other walks I'm unaware of within the confines of Newbridge?

I have basically walked the length and breath of The Curragh. Also, the 2 canal walks in Milltown. Are there any more that I'm forgetting?
    Not quite a walk, but how about Pollardstown Fen? Or even just down by the river (I don't want to use the term 'Linear Park'). Or more hardcore, the Ring of Roseberry? :D

Advertisement