Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

GavMan wrote: »
    Are the ones in Ballymany and the main street separate entities or are they run by the same crowd. Nearly 6 years in Newbridge and just assumed they were the same

I stand to correction, but Main Street & Ballymany are related, but it stops there. The crew out in Ballymany only work there, likewise, the crew in Main Street.

On Ballymany I have counted 8 people working behind the counter - thats some number for a chipper - remember they also have a sit-down restaurant too. Of course things may have changed with CV19.

Someone mentions there is a Central in Sallins also? I have no idea at all if they are any relation to the Folk in Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

We got primo Luigi chipper yesterday to try it. Food was very tasty but despite asking twice on the phone to leave sauce off, sauce was indeed put on. However, hubby went to collect and checked before leaving, it was quickly replaced and everyone was happy so thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I stand to correction, but Main Street & Ballymany are related, but it stops there. The crew out in Ballymany only work there, likewise, the crew in Main Street.

On Ballymany I have counted 8 people working behind the counter - thats some number for a chipper - remember they also have a sit-down restaurant too. Of course things may have changed with CV19.

Someone mentions there is a Central in Sallins also? I have no idea at all if they are any relation to the Folk in Newbridge.

the two in newbridge are family owned. the father runs the main street and his daughter runs ballymany. not sure about sallins

Just spent 40 minutes exiting the M7 at J12NB to get to Casey's in town. Why? Because there was a queue for McDonalds.:eek:

Fair play to McD's at least they had staff out trying to organise some sanity regarding the queue, but they have very little ( if any ) authority for road traffic.

Crazy what's happening there.

On another note, I see Cannings is closed at Ballymany, they gone? Surely if any shop should be open, it ought to be a pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

On another note, I see Cannings is closed at Ballymany, they gone? Surely if any shop should be open, it ought to be a pharmacy?

They have been closing for an hour or two for lunch during the coronavirus lockdown.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    They have been closing for an hour or two for lunch during the coronavirus lockdown.

Thanks Cazale.

I'm not around the town during the day much, but was today, and was stunned by the traffic.

Just been up the town. Noticed Mothercare's windows very bare. Surely they could have opened yesterday?

Hope not another stalwart in the town gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Retail everywhere has been struggling for a long time. This episode will finish many of them off altogether. Not a good look for any town, anywhere.

Retail everywhere has been struggling for a long time. This episode will finish many of them off altogether. Not a good look for any town, anywhere.

True. I also fear the worst for WW. Debenhams gone. Fair play to M&S, at least they are trying their best - see a banner down at the bottom of the town. All those stores who have been shut, how will they be expected to backpay their rent, and KCC's rates? This same goes for any town in the country, I suspect. I haven't been inside WW since February, anyone any idea how it's coping in these crazy times?

As You say not looking good for any town these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Rant warning!

I've posted before about the dreadful customer service in Irish retail outlets generally. While I've had occasional positive experiences, the general vibe is " we don't have it, we can't say when or if it's coming in, we could order for you but we'd rather not (and if we do we won't call you to tell you it's arrived) etc."

No doubt the web was always going to have an impact, but SO many businesses have shot themselves in the foot. I rarely go to shops nowadays, because I'm fed up of the attitude.

It's a long time since Chris Harding told me "You'd have to go to Dublin for that!" :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

True. I also fear the worst for WW. Debenhams gone. Fair play to M&S, at least they are trying their best - see a banner down at the bottom of the town. All those stores who have been shut, how will they be expected to backpay their rent, and KCC's rates? This same goes for any town in the country, I suspect. I haven't been inside WW since February, anyone any idea how it's coping in these crazy times?

As You say not looking good for any town these days.

M&S, EuroGiant and Boots have been the only shops open In WW for months now - I’m sure there’ll have to be some form on incentive to get stores back in there but I don’t know who they could potentially get in to fill the space of Debenhams.

Note I saw the ice cream vendor open last week so I’d say they’ll come back but there definitely will be a lot of casualties

M&S, EuroGiant and Boots have been the only shops open In WW for months now - I’m sure there’ll have to be some form on incentive to get stores back in there but I don’t know who they could potentially get in to fill the space of Debenhams.

Note I saw the ice cream vendor open last week so I’d say they’ll come back but there definitely will be a lot of casualties

No Vodafone open? Bit surprised that as I was up in Dublin recently, walked down Henry St and practically the only shops open were mobile phone shops.

But even if they are/were open, trying to generate footfall with only 3-4 stores open is a hell of a task. Must be a very bleak place these days.

No Vodafone open? Bit surprised that as I was up in Dublin recently, walked down Henry St and practically the only shops open were mobile phone shops.

But even if they are/were open, trying to generate footfall with only 3-4 stores open is a hell of a task. Must be a very bleak place these days.

Sorry, yes Vodafone were indeed open. I’d say a few more opened yesterday but haven’t been in there since 1/2 weeks ago

Sorry, yes Vodafone were indeed open. I’d say a few more opened yesterday but haven’t been in there since 1/2 weeks ago

No problem STC. Something not right when people who only live 3 kms away from a shopping centre haven't been able to get there for 3 months. The entertainment areas at both ends of the SC upstairs are going to find it very tough to keep trading ( I mean the fast food end and the cinemas at the other end along with Nandos, and that excuse for a pizza joint next door.

They still charging to park the car? I was in the old Dundrum centre last week. They have lifted the barriers and parking is free, seems trying to entice footfall goes against the proprietors grain in WW.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone know when Kildare village opens? Bit bizarre for a place that practically opens 365 bar Christmas Day- their social media accounts appear dead. Being an outdoor uncovered shopping centre I thought they’d be gung-ho

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

maybe its a staffing issue, so many staff work part time and commute to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

eusap wrote: »
    maybe its a staffing issue, so many staff work part time and commute to work there.

Busses and trains are back to normal and many of the staff live in the local area and can probably walk to it anyway. Many would have got lift or used their own cars. Can't see that as causing nay problem whatsoever.

Shopping centres can't open til next Monday anyway.

I would guess that they have plenty of experience re-opening their other centres and they'll just use the same template here.
    https://www.tbvsc.com/maasmechelen-village/en/visit/shopping-protocols

Does anyone know where in Newbridge I would be able to buy a 10kg bottle of propane gas that would be used in a gas heater?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Does anyone know where in Newbridge I would be able to buy a 10kg bottle of propane gas that would be used in a gas heater?

Try martins fuels in Milltown, if you're on facebook they have a current Ad/offer for patio gas if it suits

McLoughlins / MCL at Langton Cross have propane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Good amount of work done on the upgrade to Maxol Ballymany.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Cazale wrote: »
    Good amount of work done on the upgrade to Maxol Ballymany.

Really bad timing for them. Not their fault obviously. I honestly thought the place was shut for weeks. Is the Burger King (which I detest) still going in alongside that or was it all just a rumour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Damien360 wrote: »
    Really bad timing for them. Not their fault obviously. I honestly thought the place was shut for weeks. Is the Burger King (which I detest) still going in alongside that or was it all just a rumour ?

Stayed open at all times, just a deli restriction.

I don't see any timing issue. These are long term projects and companies like Maxol are unconcerned with a few weeks of delay to one project

Damien360 wrote: »

I heard it was Supermacs going in there..

Just been to WW after a long while. Some observations:

- I was there on business as a customer of mine has a store there. There is NOTHING open upstairs bar the mobile repair open stand outside River Island.

- I entered the car park from Cutlery Road, & entered the SC at the entrance nearest the Cutlery Road entrance ( IE to the left as You go down the ramp). The lifts in the lobby are switched off, so one has to climb the stairs. In addition the escalator and stairs at that end are also either switched off or blocked off. I think the lift at the other end ( Boots ) is operational. I am commenting in detail here as as I see it, the end I entered has no accessability for anyone in a wheelchair.

- Only a few shops are open as mentioned by STC above.

- I was in and out of the car park in 14 minutes. I did NOT have to pay €1.60. There is a grace of some minutes ( 10 I think) whereby you can be in and out for free, but maybe they are not charging to park there. I am not sure, so please don't take my word as gospel. Like I said elsewhere, the OLD Dundrum SC have lifted their barriers, I would think WW should do the same to entice footfall.

I would guesstimate there were no more than 50 cars in the cp. It was really dreary there, BUT I also saw a lot of stores with their door ajar, and people inside ( hopefully) preparing to open this coming Monday.

So, hopefully it is a change for the better from Monday onwards.

On another note, I see the guys who washed the cars and used to be beside Casey's have moved. They are now in the car park between DID & Homestore & More.

Mothercare have gone into liquidation.

Like many stores that have closed, there were underlying issues and Covid just brought forward the inevitable.

They were badly affected by the Mothercare closure in the UK last year both from a product supply issue and also a perception issue where despite many notices stating they were unconnected, customers lost confidence. IMO, they should have renamed themselves at that point and freshened up what had become a very dated look.

Other observations - 7am, queue of about 30 people outside pennys. Sad/laughable.

Whitewater - they cannot open any stores other than those legally permitted until Monday. But on Monday, most/all stores will be open (excluding debenhams - few will miss the overpriced store that used a paddytax exchange rate of 1.50)

Kildare Village - Opening Monday too if the number of cars/vans in the carpark is anything to go by. Presumably making signage and rearranging layouts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

silver2020 wrote: »

Other observations - 7am, queue of about 30 people outside pennys. Sad/laughable.

And in the rain, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Went by just after 7 myself, there was a decent enough queue and a fair few people asleep in their cars - Not open until 11 either is it? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

I heard it was Supermacs going in there..

I asked one of the workers and they said it was burger king unfortunately... it would be great if that person was wrong:)

Advertisement