Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Cheensbo wrote: »

I haven't seen any construction there - unless it sprung up over the last few days, I'd be doubtful that August would be achievable.

Agree though that getting an Aldi into the town would be great!

Also, that'll make traffic even more of a nightmare...regardless of whether you enter\exit through the SuperValue park or via the main road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I haven't seen any construction there - unless it sprung up over the last few days, I'd be doubtful that August would be achievable.

Agree though that getting an Aldi into the town would be great!

Also, that'll make traffic even more of a nightmare...regardless of whether you enter\exit through the SuperValue park or via the main road

Groundwork ongoing up behind those houses isn't there, the car wash lads have moved anyway.

Yeah, traffic is going to be arse, but what's new...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Construction was scheduled from March with an August opening. They are still going ahead but I'd say it'll be closer to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Darc19 wrote: »
    It's an exceptionally busy fuel station.

The Brennans got planning initially and it was going to be a spar and Supermacs and deli. The "spar is coming" sign was up too and work had started.

Maxol made them a very generous offer which Brennans took and it became a Maxol owned property.

It's now virtually completed and I wouldn't be surprised if BK were open in a few weeks
    I didn’t realise maxol bought it from the Brennan’s I would imagine they got a nice price for it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

harr wrote: »
    I didn’t realise maxol bought it from the Brennan’s I would imagine they got a nice price for it ..

I heard it was a price that could not be refused :)

As for Aldi, usually it's a "16 week to open day" build programme once the initial ground works are completed.

I'll guess mid Nov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Thaiger does a good trade in takeaway and we are usually happy with the food out of there. Any time I'm in there though there is maybe 1\2 tables occupied - that probably shows how much they rely on takeaways to be able to remain viable and open.

Harrigan's menu really declined over the past couple of years

Completely agree re Newbridge and the lack of good places to eat - I'm always thinking if a real good place like Las Radas (Tapas in Naas) was to open in Newbridge it would do great business....a lot of people like me go to Naas for a good meal out

Yeah there are such disappointing food options in Newbridge, you would think there is a gap in the market for a good restaurant or two to come in instead of another chipper or takeaway. Agree on Harrigans, not sure what happened there, Cunninghams in Kildare is nicer despite having the same owners.

Il Ponte Neuvo is fine and probably my favourite in the town centre but wouldn't be falling over to go there, better options in Naas, Sallins or Kildare. The Keadeen is probably my favourite place to go for a meal in Newbridge in their restaurant/bar (Saddlers?), good food and big portions and a nice atmosphere, only tried it for the first time about a year ago and have gone a good few times since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I was over in WW today. What a great improvement over last week. Many more shops open, much more footfall too.

But, to look down to one end of the main concourse and see those 2 massive shutters down looks bad. They will have to do something quick to get occupancy into where Debenhams was.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

i think there is no obvious store to replace debenhams, will need to be divided up into smaller stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

eusap wrote: »
    i think there is no obvious store to replace debenhams, will need to be divided up into smaller stores

They'll definitely try to get a department store in there - loads of little shops are not a crowd puller.

Is there space there for a massive NEXT like the one in Liffey Valley? If the new slimline House Of Fraser combined with Sports Direct (could do one floor each) could get a good deal they might be interested there either.

Otherwise you are depending on the like of A John Lewis, Hudson's Bay or Nordstrom coming in and taking the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

They'll definitely try to get a department store in there - loads of little shops are not a crowd puller.

Is there space there for a massive NEXT like the one in Liffey Valley? If the new slimline House Of Fraser combined with Sports Direct (could do one floor each) could get a good deal they might be interested there either.

Otherwise you are depending on the like of A John Lewis, Hudson's Bay or Nordstrom coming in and taking the spot

Would hate to see sports direct going in , definitely need something big and a major retailer .. John Lewis , Next or house of Fraser would be ideal .. any word if Zara will remain open as they are currently cutting back and closing some stores also heard Iconnect aren’t doing particularly well ..
    then you have Odeon who are in dispute with some movie Manufactures and said they won’t show there productions.
    WW could be a very bleak place if they don’t try to pull in some big retailers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Would hate to see sports direct going in , definitely need something big and a major retailer .. John Lewis , Next or house of Fraser would be ideal .. any word if Zara will remain open as they are currently cutting back and closing some stores also heard Iconnect aren’t doing particularly well ..
    then you have Odeon who are in dispute with some movie Manufactures and said they won’t show there productions.

If I was a betting man I'd say it'll end up a House of Fraser with a Sports Direct concession.

An external party would only go there after taking a large dept store in Dublin first.

Had a walk around WW today. Have to say a good few more shops open that last week, which is a positive.

However, 2 things struck me:

a) Both ends of the main concourse, on both floors are really in desperate need of action. One end upstairs has only Starbucks open, while the other end only has H&M in the main. &

b) Why are the food concourse not open? All the tables have been removed, surely they could be trading? There is one in the left bottom corner ( can't remember it's name, but it's fairly new ) offering 'order and collect', but all the others?

Another thing which is depressing the footfall ( though under the current circumstances, totally acceptable ) none of the outlets in the middle on the ground floor are trading, EXCEPT for the Ice Cream place.

I wonder would M&S ever contemplate moving into the Debenhams spot? Their non-food section is small in comparisons to other M&S stores I have been in. Surely they could have some clout striking a deal with the landlords?

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I wonder would M&S ever contemplate moving into the Debenhams spot? Their non-food section is small in comparisons to other M&S stores I have been in. Surely they could have some clout striking a deal with the landlords?

Just a thought.

That's a very good suggestion. But I do find the M&S food section in Whitewater disappointing - even the old one in Naas was better.
    There's plenty gaps on the shelves, products running out or never re-appearing- basic stuff like their Taste of Thailand range never having the jasmine rice anymore. The Detroit Pizza limited to two or maybe three varieties when there are six in existence. Compared to the likes of Henry Street or Grafton Street, the selection is very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Would like to see Next go into it maybe John Lewis too. Could the cinema expand into it maybe? Could whitewater themselves not run a concession store themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Hard to see John Lewis entering the Irish market in Newbridge of all places. Unless they got a package deal to hoover up all of Debenham's leases. That being said, I would like to see a high quality dept store in their. JL, HoF all fit the bill. Next would be a footfall pull also. Expanded M&S also makes sense and would be a good reason to expand their offering. Its not just food where they are limited. Menswear is very watered down for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Going to miss debenhams for the menswear section. Was the main reason I went to white water

matchthis wrote: »
    Going to miss debenhams for the menswear section. Was the main reason I went to white water

Have to agree Matchthis. I liked their 'maine' pants. They cost around €30 a pair, ideal for work. I wonder if anyone else stocks this brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have to agree Matchthis. I liked their 'maine' pants. They cost around €30 a pair, ideal for work. I wonder if anyone else stocks this brand?

Its a Debenhams house brand originally intended to be a knockoff of Hilfiger; so it'll be online only now for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/552470/work-to-finally-start-on-first-aldi-for-newbridge.html

Work starting on new Aldi store, not Due to complete until Q1 2021. Can’t believe they’ve been trying to get into Newbridge for 15 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/552470/work-to-finally-start-on-first-aldi-for-newbridge.html

Work starting on new Aldi store, not Due to complete until Q1 2021. Can’t believe they’ve been trying to get into Newbridge for 15 years!

Their original site for PP was ridiculous. Just behind the Chinese (was Indian restaurant at time) at junction with McLoughlins. I went for an interview with them around that time as manager (group interview with all candidates at same time) and they were sure that site was going to work for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If it was €30 in Newbridge, then you will get them for £20 (€22.20) in any UK debenhams store.

One of the primary reasons for their failure here was the Paddy Tax they added to most of their products. They never moved off the €1.50/£1 exchange rate and most people noticed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Folk entering and exiting from Edward street in cars is going to be fun. That entrance will mean 5 busy junctions on that street in about 5 or 600 metres.

GavMan wrote: »
    Folk entering and exiting from Edward street in cars is going to be fun. That entrance will mean 5 busy junctions on that street in about 5 or 600 metres.

Yes, my thought too. And to think they had a similar planning application rejected in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

work is set to begin on the old arch bar very soon. It will have a sit down family restaurant and take away downstairs with a coffee shop in the original arch bar window.

Planning permission began in 2015 but had various objections.

tommyboy26 wrote:
    work is set to begin on the old arch bar very soon. It will have a sit down family restaurant and take away downstairs with a coffee shop in the original arch bar window.

Going to be a Chinese restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/555151/way-cleared-for-former-pub-in-newbridge-to-be-turned-into-restaurant.html

Anyone hear about this lads? Is the restaurant going to be fast food or a proper restaurant like Harte's in Kildare etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

Ah sorry lads didn't see above:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Cazale wrote: »
    Going to be a Chinese restaurant.

exactly what the town doesnt need

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

tommyboy26 wrote: »

You are completely right more crap

• Advertisement

tommyboy26 wrote:

Think that's why it took so long. The other Chinese places objected.

Advertisement