Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I’m it dry clued up on shopping online, but Isn’t their online facility still operational?
    Yes on line still available but I do like to fit on clothes , sizes even from same manufacturer can be hit and miss ..

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Best place for men's clothes in Kildare is Brownes Of Naas hands down.
    Thanks for the recommendation.., will have to pop over to stock up .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Best place for men's clothes in Kildare is Brownes Of Naas hands down.

Seconded.

Any one know what was the story with traffic in newbridge today , couldn’t get in or out if it , all approach roads were at a complete standstill around 2pm ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

harr wrote: »
    Any one know what was the story with traffic in newbridge today , couldn’t get in or out if it , all approach roads were at a complete standstill around 2pm ..

Possibly a funeral. They cause havoc if it's a walking cortege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

harr wrote: »

Fuel in Applegreen was 24.7c for an hour at 2pm. Naas was chaos at 3pm for the same reason

Darc19 wrote: »
    Possibly a funeral. They cause havoc if it's a walking cortege.

Maybe, was told it could have been apple green with a promotion price on fuel.. 20c a litre or something. If it was apple green crazy they are allowed let traffic build like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Aldi will be opening in March 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Cazale wrote: »
    Aldi will be opening in March 2021.

Excavation work really taken off now. Pity they won’t be open in time for Christmas.

Going to traffic chaos though. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Excavation work really taken off now. Pity they won’t be open in time for Christmas.

Going to traffic chaos though. Thanks

This traffic argument comes up on almost every store Lidl & Aldi open. It was particularly to the fore in Castleknock where there were protests - and its been open many months with zero traffic issues.

Yet I've yet to see any Lidl or Aldi store cause any traffic issues anywhere.

Their model is based on a quick in and out in comparison to the likes of Tesco, so traffic movements are more spaced out which causes less congestion.

I can't see any traffic issue here. Customers will be able to park in the aldi carpark itself (small), the Newbridge retail park carpark & walk through or the Courtyard multi storey car park.

And remember, Lidl used to be in the courtyard center and didn't cause any traffic chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

silver2020 wrote: »
    This traffic argument comes up on almost every store Lidl & Aldi open. It was particularly to the fore in Castleknock where there were protests - and its been open many months with zero traffic issues.

Yet I've yet to see any Lidl or Aldi store cause any traffic issues anywhere.

Their model is based on a quick in and out in comparison to the likes of Tesco, so traffic movements are more spaced out which causes less congestion.

I can't see any traffic issue here. Customers will be able to park in the aldi carpark itself (small), the Newbridge retail park carpark & walk through or the Courtyard multi storey car park.

And remember, Lidl used to be in the courtyard center and didn't cause any traffic chaos.

I think the issue is that by creating an additional junction, you'll have people stopping to turn right and cross the road to enter Aldi. People on the other side stopping to let them make that manoeuvre or allowing people to leave the carpark turning left or right, thus slowing down traffic coming out the town and coming into the town.

Chaos...probably not but certainly will add to the traffic issues in the town

GavMan wrote: »
    I think the issue is that by creating an additional junction, you'll have people stopping to turn right and cross the road to enter Aldi. People on the other side stopping to let them make that manoeuvre or allowing people to leave the carpark turning left or right, thus slowing down traffic coming out the town and coming into the town.

Chaos...probably not but certainly will add to the traffic issues in the town

I don't buy that argument. Very little issue with the turn into whitewater and there's multiple number of traffic going there than an aldi store and the road is wide enough for cars to keep left of those turning right, unlike at whitewater.

Competitors always put the fear of people up with the "traffic" argument. I can't think of any locations where this argument has been borne out and Castleknock would have been a prime contender with narrow road and a single entrance/exit. So I can't see aldi in Newbridge with three ways of accessing it, causing any additional traffic issues.

Naturally there will be for the 1st week as people visit the new store, but that's normal in almost every location for any supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

I can't remember the PP for that site but if they make it a through road from main St and out past SuperValu then it will be mad.

Before Covid, every single weekend from the post office all the way to McLoughlin's was standstill. Inbound from Keadeen to Dunnes was all stop. Athgarvan road inbound to whitewater back entrance was also standstill. The traffic plan filters everything into main St instead of getting it away or quickly back out. Lidl/Aldi is not the issue, it's the overall plan. The day they made all the traffic come down athgarvan road and past the whitewater and enter into main Street, every single person said that was ridiculous and it should go the other way. Too many junctions in short bursts don't help.

I don't buy that argument. Very little issue with the turn into whitewater and there's multiple number of traffic going there than an aldi store and the road is wide enough for cars to keep left of those turning right, unlike at whitewater.

Competitors always put the fear of people up with the "traffic" argument. I can't think of any locations where this argument has been borne out and Castleknock would have been a prime contender with narrow road and a single entrance/exit. So I can't see aldi in Newbridge with three ways of accessing it, causing any additional traffic issues.

Naturally there will be for the 1st week as people visit the new store, but that's normal in almost every location for any supermarket.

I fail to see how adding a junction on road where there already too many junctions close together will not exacerbate the current issues. And with the onstreet parking there, there will be no room for traffic to pass on the inside when inbound to the town

Damien360 wrote: »
    I can't remember the PP for that site but if they make it a through road from main St and out past SuperValu then it will be mad.
    Just a walkway through from Aldi to the retail park / courtyard area
    GavMan wrote: »
    I fail to see how adding a junction on road where there already too many junctions close together will not exacerbate the current issues. And with the onstreet parking there, there will be no room for traffic to pass on the inside when inbound to the town

Just checked the planning. No new junction, it uses the lane that is there and the aldi entrance is on to the lane. Total of 70 parking spaces. To give a comparison, Aldi Kildare town has 110 spaces.

Just a walkway through from Aldi to the retail park / courtyard area

Just checked the planning. No new junction, it uses the lane that is there and the aldi entrance is on to the lane. Total of 70 parking spaces. To give a comparison, Aldi Kildare town has 110 spaces.

Is so infrequently used, it might aswell not be there. It will soon have plenty of use. Time will tell I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

That whole area where aldi is going will be totally different.

There has been planning permission approved for a while for the development of the courtyard shopping center which will have a road that will go through the current courtyard shopping center car park and come out beside lidl. KCC planning page wont work for me so i cant see the paperwork but i think there is access to aldi from that side as well but not 100 percent on that

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    That whole area where aldi is going will be totally different.

There has been planning permission approved for a while for the development of the courtyard shopping center which will have a road that will go through the current courtyard shopping center car park and come out beside lidl. KCC planning page wont work for me so i cant see the paperwork but i think there is access to aldi from that side as well but not 100 percent on that

I thought there were objections to the plan as it involved knocking down the corner building where Kavanaghs was and push through road there. That must be 2 years old as a plan by now.

I thought there were objections to the plan as it involved knocking down the corner building where Kavanaghs was and push through road there. That must be 2 years old as a plan by now.

there was objections and they were overturned.

that is why kavanaghs moved to the old terry michaels shop

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

there was objections and they were overturned.

that is why kavanaghs moved to the old terry michaels shop

Some pics from KCC website I posted a few years ago on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/richardkellynewbridge/posts/321683178339393?__xts__[0]=68.ARCIu_-_RGjevI_lovIWBTWBzW-cP9oFzpiaLqj-TLjlHmLrndEIPFOW5kfLR2690qg43kSHkv2Db2arWtJIcw5xpLRbSApMI-yrjvCwc4OnDNx9oUYXxO6Fl0i19QDUm6F95Dy-95zb8I393atFv6E4z-uikSuTRvtZk1OhrgPdQZaKz2p7cFsce0BFt6Yduv5OaBP9eow1ePGL8KUNkj6CK3GTqFCy9ucvGqukJC3NbZBpkR_qIq45zyi9vXBZFgk32fTlUevpF553U4aH5wuf2nToIwPHLwvJVf8K3Y44kE_IkPQkBN6lUAKWbdul9f2y1emMGDQ4SqRXEOGFxIU&__tn__=-R

• Advertisement

The grand plan looks great and it will introduce a new streetscape from courtyard into the retail park. It may even alleviate traffic a small bit as you can park in one location and access everything - Whitewater, Pennys & the main street, The courtyard, DID/Supervalu etc, and Aldi.

richiek83 wrote: »
    Some pics from KCC website I posted a few years ago on Facebook.

any idea what the hold up is richie?

finally got the kcc website to work

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

any idea what the hold up is richie?

I believe its a number of factors such as current market conditions which for retail is quite turbulent at present and development finance.

I think the idea of the masterplan was to extend the retail park in that direction first (towards Courtyard SC) and then start the Courtyard extension. This is all however subject to market conditions. I heard the Treacy Group were having difficulties in the early years of planning approval obtaining finance but the fact that Aldi development has now commenced may kick start something.

The retail park extension has more retail warehouse units but a gradual introduction of residential and office/ commercial as it heads towards the Courtyard.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an amended application at some point to include far more residential with the Governments Town Centre first initiative.

What we all know is that there is significant scope in Newbridge Town Centre for additional development and residential development, future of town centres will have to have far more residential to maintain some vibrancy. On another note and in that vicinity, the KCC machinery yard is being moved to Newhall so that site will eventually come to the market and the Design Brief for the area mentions that whatever development that occurs must wrap around and essentially hide the multi-storey car park. This will be an interesting one to watch.

Here's some digital images.

Looks like there's a new street that will allow you come out at Lidl too.
    These images show the view if you were standing opposite DID and also the view if you were standing in front of dealz.

I think besides the economic holdup, the main hold up was in getting all the different planning elements together so that it can be built as one single project.

521621.jpg

521622.jpg

Credit where it’s due:

Just passed Brennan’s service station. Not sure if the drive through is open or not-well it was only 09h00.

Impressive though!

This lockdown is probably the last thing WhiteWater needs.

Meanwhile, it’s ok for racing to go ahead on the Curragh???

Oh and this shower making decisions closed the test centre.😱

This lockdown is probably the last thing WhiteWater needs.

Meanwhile, it’s ok for racing to go ahead on the Curragh???

Lots of small local businesses getting hammered again. The horsey crowd on curragh travel from all over ireland to race. I can’t understand why it’s ok for them.

Lots of small local businesses getting hammered again. The horsey crowd on curragh travel from all over ireland to race. I can’t understand why it’s ok for them.

That’s what makes me wonder. Unless ALL the horses are from Kildare, Laois, or Offaly. Heard this evening that traffic travelling from Dublin to Cork, Limerick etc. will not be permitted to stop in either of the 3 counties, yet horses can be brought from any county?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Says a lot about politics in the area when we have a junior minister in the department of agriculture and food, and he didn't prioritise conditions in meat plants given the global precedent and the number of facilities in the county.

I presume Patricia Ryan is still on holidays.

Advertisement