Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Petermc83

bureau2009 wrote: »
    And looking at the heap of rubble following the demolition of Kilbelin House at the weekend what developers say and what developers do are two entirely different things......

Raises serious questions about Kildare Co Co also.

New foundations have been poured and the blockwork installation has begun in the same vicinity of where the old house was located so maybe they are replacing it with a new building afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Petermc83 wrote: »
    New foundations have been poured and the blockwork installation has begun in the same vicinity of where the old house was located so maybe they are replacing it with a new building afterall.

A coffee shop? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Darc19 wrote: »
    A coffee shop? :D:D:D

It’s to be used as a crèche

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

richiek83 wrote: »
    Nothing revealed but a press release to announce that something will be revealed. Tender launched for the design of the site.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/633872/revealed-bord-na-mona-plans-to-open-newbridge-hq-to-public-plans-for-road-walkway-shops-and-more.html

BnM has launched a design team competition for their new HQ. The HQ will be 3 storey building to the left of gated entrance to their site on Main Street. The building will be circa 3500 sqm with retail on ground floor on Main Street. Winning design to be announced in November. Construction in 2023 with completion in 2024. The HQ will fit in with the emerging masterplan for the site which will include residential, commercial and cultural use along with new linkages between Main Street and military road and cutlery road and the proposed st conleths park square

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NUN10

Hello there, I hope I have placed this in the right section and may have been posted before.

I am planning to move to Station Walk, I would love to know how your experience has been so far living in Newbridge especially in and around the area. Are there issues with burglary and anti social behaviour? To be fair the times I have been up, it's been absolutely lovely! What is the commute into Dublin on the train like, or is driving recommended? ( currently working in Smithfield )

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

NUN10 wrote: »
    Hello there, I hope I have placed this in the right section and may have been posted before.

I am planning to move to Station Walk, I would love to know how your experience has been so far living in Newbridge especially in and around the area. Are there issues with burglary and anti social behaviour? To be fair the times I have been up, it's been absolutely lovely! What is the commute into Dublin on the train like, or is driving recommended? ( currently working in Smithfield )

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

If you're working in Smithfield you'd be utterly crazy to take the car. Train will have you in heuston in under 40min (and some trains as quick as 25min) for €237 a month.
    If your employer does the tax saver system, the net cost to you will be circa €150

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

richiek83 wrote: »
    BnM has launched a design team competition for their new HQ. The HQ will be 3 storey building to the left of gated entrance to their site on Main Street. The building will be circa 3500 sqm with retail on ground floor on Main Street. Winning design to be announced in November. Construction in 2023 with completion in 2024. The HQ will fit in with the emerging masterplan for the site which will include residential, commercial and cultural use along with new linkages between Main Street and military road and cutlery road and the proposed st conleths park square
    Just out of curiosity...when did the road behind Dunnes become Military Road? The road didn't exist (mostly) when the British army was here, and I have usually only seen it on Google maps, as well as a few recent roadworks signs. It used of be just a continuation of the Athgarvan Road, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

silver2020 wrote: »
    If you're working in Smithfield you'd be utterly crazy to take the car. Train will have you in heuston in under 40min (and some trains as quick as 25min) for €237 a month.
    If your employer does the tax saver system, the net cost to you will be circa €150

I have to agree with Silver2020 here. I am in Roseberry Hill, which is next to where Station Walk will be. It's only a 5 minute walk from Byrne's Xroads to the train station..

I know nothing about tax savings, but if You take the train You'll also save on parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Looking again at buying Newbridge. Bidding on a house in Allen View Heights. Wondering what the estate is like? Did speak to a local who was out cutting the green areas, nice chap who said the area is quiet with no hassle. Some houses seemed fine and well kept, some of the smaller bungalows not so much. One with metal plates boarding the windows around the back of the estate.

Grateful for any insights.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

I live in this estate for over 10 years and have never had any problems. Metal windows I know nothing about as we live on the road with the house for sale and rarely go beyond this road as there's no need. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

ladyella wrote: »
    I live in this estate for over 10 years and have never had any problems. Metal windows I know nothing about as we live on the road with the house for sale and rarely go beyond this road as there's no need. Best of luck

Thanks for the reply. Exactly the same as the chap we spoke with, that particular house just threw us a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

givyjoe wrote: »
    Looking again at buying Newbridge. Bidding on a house in Allen View Heights. Wondering what the estate is like? Did speak to a local who was out cutting the green areas, nice chap who said the area is quiet with no hassle. Some houses seemed fine and well kept, some of the smaller bungalows not so much. One with metal plates boarding the windows around the back of the estate.

Grateful for any insights.
    One minor point is that the estate is very close to the railway line so if you're not used to that, it might be a problem, initially. The general area is fine, though. I'm saying that as somebody who never lived there but not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

A nice little video, local area local faces...

https://vimeo.com/566134721

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Petermc83

tossy wrote: »
    A nice little video, local area local faces...

https://vimeo.com/566134721

Great little video about the gentleman that is Johnny Doyle! Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Does anybody know when the new Aldi store in town is meant to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

September according to Aldi website.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Surely not until after KCC reroute the road through The Maples carpark, to facilitate a reasonable urban footpath on the Aldi side.

/s

Cazale wrote: »
    September according to Aldi website.

My imagination or does the building seem rather on the small scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

My imagination or does the building seem rather on the small scale?

Don’t know. Sticks out on the footpath a bit though ! Can’t understand how KCC thought that was ok.

Almost all Aldi stores in a market are similar sizes.

This one is identical in size to Kildare town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Does anyone else notice the cold atmosphere in Tesco Newbridge? I'm not in there regularly, but I'd often be in on (very) early weekend mornings and I'm always struck by the almost complete lack of interaction that staff seem to have (or want) with customers.

Apart from one or two (lovely friendly cleaner), it almost seems like a staff policy to even avoid eye contact with customers. I'm not expecting to be greeted at the door or anything, but when it's 7am and you're walking around with staff outnumbering customers 2/3 to 1, you'd expect the odd "good morning", "howaya" or just a nod...especially when they're chatting away with each other. Maybe it's the covid/mask effect, but it's not as noticeable in other branches.

Cole wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice the cold atmosphere in Tesco Newbridge? I'm not in there regularly, but I'd often be in on (very) early weekend mornings and I'm always struck by the almost complete lack of interaction that staff seem to have (or want) with customers.

Apart from one or two (lovely friendly cleaner), it almost seems like a staff policy to even avoid eye contact with customers. I'm not expecting to be greeted at the door or anything, but when it's 7am and you're walking around with staff outnumbering customers 2/3 to 1, you'd expect the odd "good morning", "howaya" or just a nod...especially when they're chatting away with each other. Maybe it's the covid/mask effect, but it's not as noticeable in other branches.

The staff in all supermarkets put up with a lot of crap over the last few months. I have seen first hand in that store how they react when a customer kicks off. I was in the self serve queue waiting my turn and a local girl scobie decided she didn’t want to wait and was right on my shoulder. I asked her to back off and she threatened to fight me. Staff heard it and instantly backed off. I turned to face the girl and she just grinned. No sign of any manager to help the staff. Of course if I hit her, I would be all over Joe Duffy.

Staff are expected to enforce Covid policy on their own and I promise you in a complaint, they wouldn’t be backed. Customer always right nonsense. I wouldn’t blame a single member of staff in any store for being grumpy as they have been in the firing line of everyone’s ire.

This would be our local supermarket. While I would never be out doing shopping in the early morning, I have never had any issue with regard to the Staff there.

So, while I wouldn’t be going out of my way expecting greetings from the Staff, I’d have no complaints either.

Edit: I would hasten to add anytime I asked a staff member where something was, they were nothing but helpful.

You are mixing Tesco up with super valu.

I have no interest in interacting with staff in a shop. Get my bits, self service checkout, and out.

Staff have a job to do and saying good morning to customers is not part of it.

I avoid super valu as they seem to chat to everyone. Suits many people including my elderly mum and it is a great selling point they have, but it's not me.

So if you want chat and good mornings, super valu is the place for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

100%. Nass is run much better. I was in there a few weeks ago and there was a woman in her eighties with a load of shopping. There was no checkouts open and she approached a group of staff chatting asking could they serve her. They rudely gestured her away to the self service. She was extremely confused and the big lump manning the self service area wasn't one bit interested in helping her despite her asking 3-4 times. I ended up having to scan the items for her despite having a baby with me. I ****ed your man out of it as I left as I doubt going to a manager would have done anything as that's obviously the culture in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I think all tescos are the same , even the managers come across that way . Not the friendliest bunch of workers.
    Doesn’t bother me as I like to get in and get out.
    Super value is complete opposite to a point of being over friendly and you could be waiting an age to get checked out because cashier is having a nice long chat with a customer with no consideration for the rapidly forming Q at the check out .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

harr wrote: »
    I think all tescos are the same , even the managers come across that way . Not the friendliest bunch of workers.
    Doesn’t bother me as I like to get in and get out.
    Super value is complete opposite to a point of being over friendly and you could be waiting an age to get checked out because cashier is having a nice long chat with a customer with no consideration for the rapidly forming Q at the check out .

I take your point about SuperValu (carrying on the Superquinn tradition) and you need to balance these things, but in comparison to Tesco Kildare and Naas, the Newbridge branch always strikes me as having a particularly cold vibe to the place...especially as it's a pretty small 'local' type of branch.

Anyway, each to their own, but I prefer places that don't seem to treat their customers as invisible.

Just back from Tesco’s. Something must be done. Bout the entrance to McDonalds.

it’s an accident waiting to happen.

on another note altogether ( & have no idea where to place the following ): I got an message from board’s saying I have been promoted to level 3. I have no idea what that means, anyone know?

Nothing will happen. They applied for their planning permission and got it. The issue is idiots that decide to queue across the junction.

As for level 3, you get stars beside your name. Means nothing as far as I can make out. Related to number of posts.

• Advertisement

How is it an accident waiting to happen? Do the cars go into invisible mode?

It been there for many many years and no accident as far as I know.

Annoying that cars will queue and hold up traffic. Accident waiting to happen - no.

Advertisement