Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

I've never understood why Newbridge has not had a one-way traffic system for years. There are two long streets parallel to each other- if you count the "Military Road" (from library to Dunnes) there are three. I would have thought the layout was ideal for such a system, compared to say Navan or Portlaoise. Parking would be so much easier and at least some of the traffic lights could be removed.

Or am I mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

lanomist wrote:
    One of the best restaurants in Newbridge il ponto Nuevo closed without notice on Friday. I believe the staff turned up for work only to find it locked up. No notice given and their facebook page say it will reopen soon.

Reopening on the 11th of May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Cazale wrote: »
    Reopening on the 11th of May.

Independent mediation between stubborn landlord and stubborn tenant works and they have a new respect for each other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

richiek83 wrote: »
    I reckon its the data collation exercise by the NTA for the forthcoming Newbridge Traffic Management Plan which is expected to go to public consultation sometime this year. NTA are using Newbridge as a pilot case to see if the model and plan they come up can be applied to other areas of the country that require similar work. They have stated that some plans drawn up the councils haven't delivered value for money. It's more likely a chance it will be implemented if NTA have control over it and they did say that subject to ratification of an eventual plan that funding would be forthcoming.

That is indeed what the counters are for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

walking up cutlery road today i saw a sold sign on the old derelict building across from the whitewater. that building has been sitting there as long as i can remember. is there any way of finding out who purchased it or what the plans for the future of the building is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Not sure who bought it but there is a row over the sale (possibly in the courts). It seems an "action group" wants the sale examined as the hall was originally set up for Irish cultural purposes or similar and they are questioning how and why the remaining trustees sold it on to a private buyer (as I understand it).

I don't know where these activists were for the last 60 years as the building lay derelict...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

That’s annoying, it’s an ugly eye sore. What are they looking for?? It’s different if they have an investor ready to restore it but if they’re fighting for it to be boarded up for years to come then that makes no sense.
    Not sure who bought it but there is a row over the sale (possibly in the courts). It seems an "action group" wants the sale examined as the hall was originally set up for Irish cultural purposes or similar and they are questioning how and why the remaining trustees sold it on to a private buyer (as I understand it).

I don't know where these activists were for the last 60 years as the building lay derelict...

A new sushi restaurant is going into the building where Gourmet Burger used to be outside the whitewater.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

A new sushi restaurant is going into the building where Gourmet Burger used to be outside the whitewater.

Is there a market for that in Newbridge? Will it see 6 months?

MotorMike wrote: »

i would say i agree with you but time will tell

• Advertisement

The boom is back. Woodies, etc are selling patio heaters again so the notions are definitely strong here now.

It would probably do better in the centre. Bit out of the way where they are.

Sushi is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

In a town where Judge Roy Beans was voted the best dining experience by its inhabitants (Leinster Leader last year) a sushi joint has no chance. Sure the fishmongers closed because nobody in the bridge likes Fish unless it’s coated in batter and deep fried. May as well close the doors now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

TheShow wrote: »
    In a town where Judge Roy Beans was voted the best dining experience by its inhabitants (Leinster Leader last year) a sushi joint has no chance. Sure the fishmongers closed because nobody in the bridge likes Fish unless it’s coated in batter and deep fried. May as well close the doors now.

When the sushi in Dundrum couldn't survive, hard to believe this will. Really hope it does though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

When the sushi in Dundrum couldn't survive, hard to believe this will. Really hope it does though.

In fairness, the Dundrum place was a conveyor belt franchise in the middle of a shopping mall - not exactly a location conducive to eating anything let alone sushi.

This is the place opening in whitewater http://www.fujiyama.ie/

A Japanese Cuisine restaurant that has sushi as one of its cuisine styles.

i see work is going on in the old dole office anyone know what is becoming

i see the old keg pub is up for auction would be great to see that end of the town get some life back into it and not another pub

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

It will more than likely be turned into apartments.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i see the old keg pub is up for auction would be great to see that end of the town get some life back into it and not another pub

there's no draw at that end of the town, you'd need a few things together to get the footfall down there during the day.

Cazale wrote:

Opening this Friday. Walked by it this evening and restaurant looks very nice.

There is a new place opening beside the Charlotte Mall called delicatessen. Currently being renovated so not much info on it but sign in window mentions barbeque style food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Sorry to hear that one of the oldest shops in Newbridge is closing this week.The Nook on station road has been there as long as i remember. The current proprietors have being running it for about thirty years, prior to that i remember Greta Blake ran it in the sixties. I belive the Cox family actually own the premises.

lanomist wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that one of the oldest shops in Newbridge is closing this week.The Nook on station road has been there as long as i remember. The current proprietors have being running it for about thirty years, prior to that i remember Greta Blake ran it in the sixties. I belive the Cox family actually own the premises.

Retiring?

If Instagram is to be believed, its proving popular. Appears all the time in the Newbridge location story...

Donal's is having a closing down sale.

Donal's is having a closing down sale.

Probably linked to Kildare's very poor recent form and drop in flag sales!

A stalwart of the town though, i'd say the concentration of footfall around the whitewater & courtyard with dealz etc has been a major impact on it.

TheShow wrote: »
    Probably linked to Kildare's very poor recent form and drop in flag sales!

A stalwart of the town though, i'd say the concentration of footfall around the whitewater & courtyard with dealz etc has been a major impact on it.

it is a prime location for the right business its slap bang in the middle of town. i am surprised nothing has gone in to the old yvonnes shop as it is also a good location

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    it is a prime location for the right business its slap bang in the middle of town. i am surprised nothing has gone in to the old yvonnes shop as it is also a good location

its a big spot.
    I always had a vision of opening something akin to swans in Naas in the bridge. just need the spare capital. Donals would be a great location, not too far down the non business end of the town.

New shop called Elegant Lighting opening soon on the main street near O'Rourkes.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

ando wrote: »
    That’s annoying, it’s an ugly eye sore. What are they looking for?? It’s different if they have an investor ready to restore it but if they’re fighting for it to be boarded up for years to come then that makes no sense.

New application in with KCC for this site.

Development Description:
    to demolish existing derelict building/hall and for permission to replace it with new four storey building containing four shop units, two office units and six apartments. Bin and bicycle spaces and all associated site works

Development Address:
    Cutlery Road,,Newbridge,,Co. Kildare.

• Advertisement

Would be good to see that redeveloped.

I'm a relative newbie in Newbridge, on down here 4 years from Dublin. What is that building on the corner of Cutlery Road thats behind the black hoarding now? Would be great to see that knocked.

Advertisement