Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my landlord force me to pay cash when I have previously been paying via bank tran

Options
  • 22-11-2017 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

My landlord now wants me to pay by cash when I have always been paying by bank transfer for the last 10 months. He said he will not issue a receipt but I told him I will need one. I would rather pay via bank transfer as it is easier and I don't like taking out loads of cash. Can he insisted that I pay cash or can I tell him no I'm paying same as always? I also know he hasn't registered the house for rent.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

What does it say in your lease? If it’s not specifically stated how rent should be paid then it’s up to you both to agree on the method.

Sounds like he could financial trouble and doesn’t want a paper trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Woah wrote: »
    My landlord now wants me to pay by cash when I have always been paying by bank transfer for the last 10 months. He said he will not issue a receipt but I told him I will need one.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say to keep paying him by bank transfer. Sounds like the LL may be losing the house shortly. Also, look up Part IV rights on the off chance he may threaten to evict you.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Woah

amcalester wrote: »
    What does it say in your lease? If it’s not specifically stated how rent should be paid then it’s up to you both to agree on the method.

Sounds like he could financial trouble and doesn’t want a paper trail.

My lease says "Payment method" then lists a space for the landlords bank details which he filled in. Now there is no mention that it has to be by bank transfer but there is also no mention of cash so I'm assuming I'll be okay if I refuse to pay cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Woah

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say to keep paying him by bank transfer. Sounds like the LL may be losing the house shortly. Also, look up Part IV rights on the off chance he may threaten to evict you.

I did have a look at Part IV alright. My only worry would be that he will just claim he is going to move in or refurbish the house and then tell me to move out and not actually follow through with what he claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Keep a record of all communications (dates, times and what was said), including phone calls, text messages and in-person conversations.

Including conversations that have already happened, to be best of your recollection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Tell him u need a record of payment that your trying to start saving for aa mortgage and the bank told you that you need a reciord of outgoings... i did that to an ex landlord...sound like his trying something with his finances

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭SVI40

Is not a rent book legally required if paying by cash?

Not a chance in hell I'd pay cash, and not get a record of paying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Woah wrote: »
    My lease says "Payment method" then lists a space for the landlords bank details which he filled in. Now there is no mention that it has to be by bank transfer but there is also no mention of cash so I'm assuming I'll be okay if I refuse to pay cash.

If that's what's in the lease then just tell the landlord you'll continue to pay rent as per the lease agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

amcalester wrote: »
    If that's what's in the lease then just tell the landlord you'll continue to pay rent as per the lease agreement.

Or that you would be open to a new arrangement to facilitate his needs. 2/3rds in rent would sound the right figure to pay him for the risk of no paper trail, receipts etc... That will either get you a killer deal or more likely he'll drop it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

OP keep paying by bank transfer do not pay by cash with no receipt. Your lease has his bank details and you were always paying him via bank transfer there is no justifying a change to payment method. You'LL have no way to prove payment should he decide to evict saying you haven't paid, no way of shown a bank that you pay rent should you want a mortgage and also a high chance you would be helping him avoid paying tax on income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Why not just give your landlord a break and pay him in cash? Is he doing something dodgy? Yes, without a doubt, but enough people genuinely trying to get by and earn income and pay mortgages get screwed by the taxman just so the pay nothing brigade can continue to sponge off the state. So I don’t blame him for keeping operations under the table. The amount of people who jump to conclusions on these threads and propose radical action straight away is ridiculous.

Buy a receipt book of your own and just ask him to sign and date it before you hand over the cash. Again, say that you need it for your own records and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

thelad95 wrote: »
    Why not just give your landlord a break and pay him in cash? Is he doing something dodgy? Yes, without a doubt, but enough people genuinely trying to get by and earn income and pay mortgages get screwed by the taxman just so the pay nothing brigade can continue to sponge off the state. So I don’t blame him for keeping operations under the table. The amount of people who jump to conclusions on these threads and propose radical action straight away is ridiculous.

Buy a receipt book of your own and just ask him to sign and date it before you hand over the cash. Again, say that you need it for your own records and nothing else.

The problem with this is that if the landlord is in this position now, he could be looking at a forced sale ultimately and tenant is left with no proof of anything. My opinion changes if the landlord is willing to sign the book/issue a receipt as there are no repercussions for the OP with the exception of a little bit of legwork taking out cash etc.. which to be honest I would do to facilitate the landlord and not be picky about it - only with a receipt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The only reason he wants cash is to not pay tax (which in fairness to him is bloody crippling, something the government repeatedly fails to mention when harping on about outrageous rent prices)

If I was you, I'd tell him share the spoils or no deal.

But then I'm shneaky like that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

I'm sure the landlords reasons for not wanting to provide a receipt doesn't include that he doesn't want the hassle of writing one.

As the post above you stated, cash and no receipt would hamper future applications to the bank as no proof of rent payments would be available. But as long as the landlord gets a break? A break from what?

The only reason he wants cash is to not pay tax
    Not true. He may be hiding the income from creditors, or his spouse, or his ex-spouse, or the courts, or or or.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

If your ever looking for a mortgage in the future I would not be happy to be paying cash

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are entitled to a rent book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Wanting cash doesn't mean he's up to something illegal.

Maybe he finds it easier dealing with physical cash, as opposed to a number on a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

So, you pay him in cash, and get no receipt from him.

Do this for 2 months

He turns around, and evict you ,as you did not pay any rent for the last 2 months.

There are no receipts to prove you did pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Lumen wrote: »
    Not true. He may be hiding the income from creditors, or his spouse, or his ex-spouse, or the courts, or or or.

True.......and not paying tax:)

Whatever the reason, one hand washes the other - share the spoils buddy, or no deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Maybe he finds it easier dealing with physical cash, as opposed to a number on a screen.

The fact that he's refusing to issue receipts would suggest otherwise.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

And maybe the tenant finds it easier to deal with a bank transfer. So that he doesn't have to make a trip to a bank (or multi-day trips to an ATM). Doesn't have to carry / store large amounts of cash, and doesn't have to physically be in a location to hand over the money once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's all well and good for people to say it's grand just pay him in cash.

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable forking over that much money with no proof that I did.
    When I've paid in cash previously always had a rent book.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah why not give your landlord abreak and go out of your way every month to take 1200+ out of your account and walk around with said 1200+ till they come over to collect it

Sorry landlord FRO, Il pay by transfer, why ? because that is what the contract said and it is safer for me and you and im not walking around with 1200+ of my money in my pocket just because it suits you.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why not just give your landlord a break and pay him in cash?
    Why should the OP? It gives the LL many advantages, the OP none. Heck, it gives the OP disadvantages!
    Correction; he wants cash, and not to give the OP a receipt for it. So yes, he's up to something illegal.

=-=

I hate paying rent by cash. You gotta take out large amounts over multiple days, and you have to be at home for the LL to collect it. Did it with the last LL. Half the time, he wouldn't show, and would be out the next day. So any plans I made, I'd have to cancel. Luckily I can pay the current LL by Interac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I hope to feck you are taking the piss with this.

This black market craic does nothing except screw over the rest of us taxpayers. Guess what makes up the shortfall... oh right, more shagging tax on me.

I am a tax compliant landlord. You know what makes me sick? Someone creaming it off illegally.

Hey, why don’t you just give them double the rent altogether? Apparently we should all feel super duper sorry for black market racketeering thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

He was originally requesting bank transfers and is now asking to change for cash payements with no receipts.

If that doesn’t raise a red flag, I don’t know what does.

If it was a matter of him being more used to dealing with cash he wouldn’t have gone the bank transfer route originally, and he would know providing a receipt is not optional when you deal with large cash payments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

What I would do is pay in cash. I would keep a record of the numbers of the banknotes. I would also video the handovers of the cash. I would have a current days newspaper on view in the video. When I found out what the reason for the cash payments was I would play the landlord like a fish.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    What I would do is pay in cash. I would keep a record of the numbers of the banknotes. I would also video the handovers of the cash. I would have a current days newspaper on view in the video. When I found out what the reason for the cash payments was I would play the landlord like a fish.
    That all sounds terribly exciting. What exactly would you threaten to do with all this evidence?

I'm no lawyer but your "fishing" sounds a lot like extortion, which is a criminal offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Lumen wrote:
    That all sounds terribly exciting. What exactly would you threaten to do with all this evidence?

Show it to the banks when applying for a mortgage :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement