Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my landlord force me to pay cash when I have previously been paying via bank tran

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

4ensic15 wrote:
    What I would do is pay in cash. I would keep a record of the numbers of the banknotes. I would also video the handovers of the cash. I would have a current days newspaper on view in the video. When I found out what the reason for the cash payments was I would play the landlord like a fish.

Unlikely to find out whatever reason, but recording the handover is a good idea if the LL doesn't provide receipts otherwise there's no proof of payment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Unlikely to find out whatever reason, but recording the handover is a good idea if the LL doesn't provide receipts otherwise there's no proof of payment.

Sooner or later, the reason will emerge. It may be bank dispute or family dispute. When he tries to claim he never got paid,he can them be told about the evidence of payment. He will be at the mercy of the tenant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just get a rent book- Easons or any bookshop sell them- they're less than 2 quid each- and insist that it is your right to have the transaction recorded on a rent book (and it is)- if you're paying in cash. It is a simple method of the OP and the landlord both protecting themselves- nothing more, nothing less.

Its all well and good to speculate as to what the motivations of the landlord are- however, that is not within the purvue of the original question posed by the OP- is the landlord entitled to seek payment by cash- when previously rent was paid by another method- yes, is the answer, he is- however, also yes, the OP is, and should, protect themselves- and insist on their legal right to have a properly completed entry added into a rent book for every cash transaction made.

As there have been at least 3 people offering borderline illegal advice on this thread already- covering blackmail, extortion and fraud- I am closing this thread. As you can see from the little yellow flags- both tenants and landlords who offered dodgy advice in this thread- have received similar warnings.

It is not acceptable to peddle advice in breach of the law, regulations or common decency- in this forum. Thankyou.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement