Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

instructor with no horses or place to teach (really)

Options
  • 22-11-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys, I want to tell you my sob story hoping you can help find a solution.

I was lucky enough to rent stables and arena in county Galway for years, built from scratch, from every plank. I opened a small not for profit riding club (all profit went to keep stables going, we had volunteers in exchange for free rides and all worked in free time). I had a small riding school going on there, beginners mostly but some at advanced and competition level, kids rides, some trekking and hacking, therapeutic horse riding (my favorite!) and more clients than I could accommodate, because I had only two my own horses and loaning more from local friend if in dare need. I am certified instructor of physical recreation in horse riding, completed and certified my latest stage (equivalent of BHSAII) in May this year. But in February my landlords informed us about their intention to sell a house and the land with stables too. We had mortgage agreed for certain amount, when in June landlords decided to raise the price due to sudden changes in the market situation. Their offer was 40.000e more than we could possibly get. We couldn't rent any other property suitable to reopen in county Galway in such a short notice, so we closed up, reduced to one horse only (my private project I won't give up) and moved out. Mortgage is obviously off limit now. Its been several months and I can't get any decent job in field, can't even ask for job because theres no real database of riding schools in Galway, only the big, obvious ones everyone knows about. They are well established and don't need more instructors.
    Here comes the question: Do you know someone or some place interested in opening a riding school, TREC centre or recreational place I could help with? I noticed that the area of Oranmore/Athenry/Monivea/New Inn/Woodford/Craughwell is relatively empty when it comes to riding schools, its all about sport, hunting or racing. I am thinking: maybe someone is tired of teaching beginners, prefers to literally jump into competition level, so I can take this burden of you? Working with beginners gives me incredible satisfaction and joy, I love watching them grow into competent riders, I don't mind the painful routines and explaining and dirty job of grooming or tacking. I have patience for it and I am honestly tired of sport. What if someone has means, or place we could start over but has no patience, no clue how to do it or never thought of doing it? There's loads of people locally who has horses, land and not doing anything with that except for taking grazing grants, maybe someone would lease it or start some small private stable, without advertising or not for profit or just loan two or three horses and arena to me so I can accommodate my clients? I will pay for every hour of use or for the whole lot for a month? I am open to options and offers in the area. I can also source very cheap horses for riding school (and I mean in hundreds euro only), loan some or train yours. I have solid foundation of clients to begin with, willing to follow me to a new place, references and videos and pictures to show.
    I just don't want to do anything with sport and competition any more. Was working in show jumping and endurance for 17 years as a rider, groom and instructor assistant - I had my hip dislocated twice, my share of accidents, including reckless drivers honking and overtaking column of 15 horses I was responsible for, cases of a neglect and bloody animal abuse I had to deal with - no more sport for me except one: TREC.
    There's so many people wanting to ride horse just for the love of animals, tired adults that are mixed in groups with kids and not finding it attractive when they just want to run from noise and chaos. So many kids tired of constant competing in schools, clubs and homes wanting just to unwind, do some drill riding, some vaulting, TREC or just trail riding without chasing after rosettes and ribbons. And TREC (Tourism Related Equestrian Competition) is very fresh in Ireland, not many people does it yet and it is very satisfactory and fun for people. Also requires serious skills! I did it outside Ireland, introduced it to some of my riders and they loved it! I know the thing people are worried the most: insurance, but all my clients signs a disclaimer, fill out paperwork before I let them ride and I have my own public liability insurance as an instructor.
    So, anyone has an idea how to start it without buying a place? I won't be able to afford this option now, especially now. I lost almost 30.000e opening my previous riding school, and it was going so well I thought about expanding not closing. Anyone has place to rent in reasonable price? If its with the house - even better! I am limited to a mentioned areas, live near Athenry and I can't move at the moment (till summer holidays at least) because I just moved my kids to new schools, had some serious trouble getting them school buses, uniforms, books, changing address and other stuff, but I can travel up to 30 km to a right place, commit to full time helping around yard and training/breaking horses if I can be a horse person again. My rent agreement is due in July, than I can move again so keep me in mind please if theres opening or place to rent near Athenry!
    Would appreciate any ideas or advice.
    If you need certain details or contact me via private message, don't want to post public info on public wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm not in the area, so I don't know what's about but keep an eye on Yard and Groom, and a few Facebook pages as an instructor job in your area may crop up.

In the mean time, have you considered freelance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hundzia

I applied on yard and groom several times in last few years, never got replies though.
    I tried freelance/self employed but people who have horses usually coach themself, don't need to hire, there are also issues with insurance and pays. I was being taken advantage all the time, paid for hours not amount of people I have to teach, so they kept sending more and more till it was risky to have so many in one group. ...and being self employed doesnt really count for mortgage anyway. Instructor without own place and horses is basically screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Hello Hundzia,

Word of mouth is essential in the area of horse training / teaching, especially in Ireland where everybody knows everybody :) so the best advice would probably be to attend any event in your area and make connections.
    May I also suggest that you clarify what you want to do? Are your priorities training young horses, teaching kids or bringing adults to Le TREC?

There are always a few people that need help to start young horses/ponies, which don't necessarily require having your own place. Getting to know local breeders (including farmers) and talking to vets is key.

Last thing, as you already know, horses were never the way to make money - rather the opposite... so good luck, I hope that at least you can enjoy your horse and show him around (the best advertising being your own level of success).

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Did you have a look at other threads on the Equestrian forum, such as Contact Details for Riding Schools / Livery Yards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hundzia

isaos wrote: »

Word of mouth is essential in the area of horse training / teaching, especially in Ireland where everybody knows everybody :)

Yup. Working on it.
    isaos wrote: »
    May I also suggest that you clarify what you want to do? Are your priorities training young horses, teaching kids or bringing adults to Le TREC?

I specialize in riding school to a competition level - 1 m high obstacles (polish regulations doesn't allow me to compete in international events on my current licence and insurance policy), recreational long distance rides (endurance to a 30 km) and TREC. Didn't have opportunity to officially enter TREC competitions but me and my riders attended several rides for orientation (POR) and obstacle course (PTV) as a charity rideout and social events, which are available several times a year, mostly organised by ILDRA, West Trec and other social rides. it was serious fun for everyone. In my riding club I would promote recreational riding for fun and well being, as a hobby rather not a way to earn money or sport career.
    I do train kids in a form of stable club, teaching not just riding but also horse care, introducing other horse related disciplines as vaulting and drill routine and of course TREC. There's also option for a club for adults because you need different approach for different age groups and theres lots of grown ups who always wanted to ride or wants to refresh but never had time or oportunity to join local schools because they would be put in mixed group with kids or be forced to have individual lessons. Most of them is not even interested in competing.
    I am good with breaking youngsters and training and boomproofing horses for needs of TREC and riding school (including therapeutic riding), but after two hip dislocations I think I am little too old to do that anymore :D And do much jumping for the same reason.
    But I train horses yes, especially the ones I have to work with.

I also have multiple courses from Middletown for Autism allowing me to work with kids with ASD (autistic spectrum disorders) and learning difficulties, my son is a special needs and benefited hugely from hippotherapy and therapeutic riding. I take all the kids that has emotional or behavioral issues, couldn't attend regular riding schools for various reasons (anxiety, ADHD, fear, dyslexic, physically awkward etc) I do that too, I asses every rider individually and craft set of exercises and goals to reach.

So yeah, I hope I clarify enough. Therapeutic horseback riding, riding school for any age and ability, pleasure riding - including hacking and trail, and as in a name of TREC - tourism related riding, that includes preparing for and attending various social riding events in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement