Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dosing

Options
  • 22-11-2017 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi guys.

Just wondering what are ye using for dosing sucker cows. There not due to calf till next feb. Also wondering would the same do the calves.

Used normecton pour on for last 2yrs so figuring should change this yr. Would oral dose be better. Mates are using albex 10. Prob need to invest in drench gun to make life easier if using this.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

happylad wrote: »
    Hi guys.

Just wondering what are ye using for dosing sucker cows. There not due to calf till next feb. Also wondering would the same do the calves.

Used normecton pour on for last 2yrs so figuring should change this yr. Would oral dose be better. Mates are using albex 10. Prob need to invest in drench gun to make life easier if using this.

After the year we just had I gave Lefas diamond (reports of Rumen fluke)

Change the mai ingredient every year (white drench/ yellow drench / pour-on / injection) to stop build of resistance

We drench here, the drench guns are handy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Just be careful. Changing from dose to pour on might not be changing the active ingredient

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Some good up-to-date advice is available on Winter dosing from Animal health Ireland:

A Guide to Parasite Control at Housing.

Fluke.

Ruminal Fluke.

Some important points:

A winter worm dose at housing should hit Type II (Inhibited) Ostertagi.
    (No levamisole doses, either alone or in mixtures)

To deal with fluke in one go, the timing of the dose needs to take into account the age at which it will start to kill immature fluke.
    (If you can't wait this long then you need to change dose or repeat the dose later again.)

Lice need to treated at housing, not later when they've had a change to multiply further. Expect to need to repeat a treatment later in winter.
    (Best effects seem to be seen in conjunction with shaving their backs)

Rumen fluke are very hard to catch in a dosing regime that only considers fluke and worms.
    (You basically need to dose specifically for them... if indeed you need to at all .... see info in link above.)

Milking cows/In-calf dairy heifers need special consideration as only a few doses are licenced for use in them.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Oral dose with a hook drencher gun.
    Oral is significantly cheaper. Hook makes it easy enough. Pour ons for cows is quite expensive I'd think

Chemistry wise others have more experience of but albex does what it says

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Deskjet

Hi guys have cattle tb test next week but was going to use pour on on this year's calves for hoose etc.would the pour on have any effect in the tb test next week like cause a skin reaction or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Deskjet wrote: »
    Hi guys have cattle tb test next week but was going to use pour on on this year's calves for hoose etc.would the pour on have any effect in the tb test next week like cause a skin reaction or something like that

By right you should wait till after tb test in case one goes down due to withdrawal periods. I did mine the day of the reading once the stock being dosed were all clear

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Deskjet

Mooooo wrote: »
    By right you should wait till after tb test in case one goes down due to withdrawal periods. I did mine the day of the reading once the stock being dosed were all clear

Thanks moooo was just going to do this year's calves and hope that I was lucky enough that they would pass tb test as they are coughing a fair bit.was just wondering would pour on react with tb jabs to skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Deskjet wrote: »
    Thanks moooo was just going to do this year's calves and hope that I was lucky enough that they would pass tb test as they are coughing a fair bit.was just wondering would pour on react with tb jabs to skin.

It probably won't react but if they are coughing perhaps ring the vet and explain that you want to do them as you don't want them to get worse. Calves should be fine but you never know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Calves would be the least likely animals to go down with TB. If they need a dose I think you should dose them as a week would be a long time in those circumstances.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭visatorro

Old thread but having a row here with older generation about dosing. They say that I should dose and leave in the shed with no feed for the night. I'm saying that's old nonsense. Who's right?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

visatorro wrote: »
    Old thread but having a row here with older generation about dosing. They say that I should dose and leave in the shed with no feed for the night. I'm saying that's old nonsense. Who's right?!

Often heard to leave them in for a day in yard and dose in evening. I dont think it makes any difference. I dosed a 100 head wit hook gun few weeks ago i put them into yard and dosed them all .

visatorro wrote: »

Excerpt from SCOPS dosing booklet:
    Restrict feed before dosing
    Where a period of feed-restriction is unlikely to be harmful (but NEVER for ewes in late pregnancy),
    the activity of white doses and oral clear doses can be enhanced by withholding food for 24 hours before
    dosing (access to water must be maintained). The slower rate of digesta flow from the rumen
    prolongs the availability of the anthelmintic for absorption by both the sheep and the parasite, and can
    significantly improve anthelmintic efficacy and reduce selection pressure for AR.

The benefit of holding sheep in AFTER dosing is that worm eggs in transit would be left in the house and not back onto pasture.
    How important this is may well be debatable.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Are pourons a water of time greysides? I never use them here, always buy the injectable version of ivermectim/levacide or oral drenches. I know they are convenient but haven't much faith in them especially if the cattle are fairly hairy.

I've never given them much thought as, personally, I'd be happy to inject and know they've gotten their requirement without doubt. Pour Ons need more active ingredient to work and are consequently more expensive. Sometimes they also aren't as effective in some manner as their counterpart.
    However, all drugs sold have to pass tests for Quality, Safety and Efficacy so they have to be shown to work to be licenced for use.
    I think they should be more reliable now than when they first came out as technology should have sorted out any shortfalls, for instance, as regards rain tolerance.

Where cattle are hairy (at housing) I'd be recommending shaving the back and applying directly to the skin. This also has the advantage of removing a lot of the lice and lice eggs already present.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

When is the best time to dose cattle this time of year ? Weather permitting i expect cattle to be grazing until 2nd week of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    When is the best time to dose cattle this time of year ? Weather permitting i expect cattle to be grazing until 2nd week of November.

Try to have younger stock/yearlings dosed 3-4 weeks in advance of housing to allow lungs time to recover from the lungworm dying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

happylad wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I hope i have attached it right this was best meeting i had at the KT scheme. This slide was put up by a vet from the Dixon practice in Claremorris and i have to say i found it excellent.

You could check the persistent action of Cydectin for the various worm species of relevance. Maybe by delaying for, say, a week, a dose would work now and cover them up to housing removing the need for another worm dose then.

Adam Grant

Try to have younger stock/yearlings dosed 3-4 weeks in advance of housing to allow lungs time to recover from the lungworm dying off.

All animals are 18/19 months and thriving well but have notice a few slight coughs in the last 2 weeks.

greysides wrote: »
    You could check the persistent action of Cydectin for the various worm species of relevance. Maybe by delaying for, say, a week, a dose would work now and cover them up to housing removing the need for another worm dose then.

Cydectin Long acting ?

• Advertisement

Cydectin Long acting ?

Normal Cydectin, the LA would be overkill.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Change the mai ingredient every year (white drench/ yellow drench / pour-on / injection) to stop build of resistance

Lefas diamond is great stuff but severe on the animal. Of all the doses this isnt one that you should overdose with. Be careful with the amounts

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Lefas diamond is great stuff but severe on the animal. Of all the doses this isnt one that you should overdose with. Be careful with the amounts

first times using it here, went with lower estimate of weight of animals. what isses from overdose?mine seem fine a week later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Bimectin plus injections done here cattle still out will use a drench when they are housed 6 weeks, and a pour on for lice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

+1
    You need to be fairly accurate with the dose rate and keep an eye on them for a few days after in case of pneumonia especially at this time of the year when the grass is watery. We offer good quality hay to try and offset any complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I says wrote: »
    Bimectin plus injections done here cattle still out will use a drench when they are housed 6 weeks, and a pour on for lice.
    Our Vet told me that there is a worm resistance to ivermectin based products. We now only use ivermectin based products as a pour-on on the feeding bulls to kill lice.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Base price wrote: »
    Our Vet told me that there is a worm resistance to ivermectin based products. We now only use ivermectin based products as a pour-on on the feeding bulls to kill lice.

There’s resistance to white wormers and levamisole aswell as ivomec. It depends on what you have used in the past and of course what strains of resistant worms you have bought in! Only way to know what does or doesn’t work on your farm is to carry out faecal egg counts pre and post dosing.

Advertisement