Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it okay to hug...??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Its these chuggers I cant stand

chuggers-3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Hugs are for women and children; men should wrestle to achieve dominance and superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hugs are for women and children; men should wrestle to achieve dominance and superiority.

If men have to wrestle than women should partake in some Foxy Boxing...fait if fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Is touching a colleague's leg okay?

2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I prefer a firm handshake myself

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    If men have to wrestle than women should partake in some Foxy Boxing...fait if fair!
    Disagree. The victor will get his choice of women to tend him; massage his body and service him sexually as he desires.
    Catfights are sh*t. Lots of screaming, crying and pulling hair.

I prefer a firm handshake myself

I'm sure you do....*cough* wanker.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Hugs Not Drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

splinter65 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t do it any more. I’ve stopped. Sometimes my customers give me hugs and I USED to give hugs, not any more.
    I also used to do little things ( grasp a hand etc) to physically comfort distressed customers, not any more.
    I’m a 52 year old female.

Where do you work? It sounds overly emotional for my liking!

Hugs are great, I get a group hug off my kids when I come home from work every day - it's generally the highlight of my day to be honest. Sometimes their mother grunts hello at me too, which is also nice:)

As for hugging strangers - yea, fúck it, count me in for some of that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Is giving somebody a hug to be avoided nowadays?
    In what sphere is it permissable and when is it a complete no- no?

I work with kids so hugs are a part of my daily life, and I am also a mother but the hugs I get from my own are few and far between these days (unless they want something :D )
    I think it'd be a very sad world to live in if the day came where it was forbidden to hug others. Naturally speaking you have to draw the line somewhere and not go up to strangers randomly hugging them (I know, right!!) but in all other situations you just use your common sense regarding the person and the circumstances and take it from there.
    Personally speaking I like the kind of hugs that lead to something else ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Hugging is just weird especially among adults. It seems to be a fairly new phenomenon in Ireland. I blame "Friends" for popularising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

hug_attractive_person.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I'm not a hugging person, I have friends from England and every time I see them they insist on hugging me, hella awkward for me.
    Irish people didn't even shake hands till the 90s or so, apparently. My parents and I were talking about this recently.
    All this hugging and I love you crap has been imported here from watching Friends or something.
    Bring back physical and emotional suppression is what I always say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I treat myself to a hug each Friday after work. The sleeves on my jumper are a different colour to the body so it looks like someone else is giving me it too, which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I'm not a hugging person, I have friends from England and every time I see them they insist on hugging me, hella awkward for me.
    Irish people didn't even shake hands till the 90s or so, apparently. My parents and I were talking about this recently.
    All this hugging and I love you crap has been imported here from watching Friends or something.
    Bring back physical and emotional suppression is what I always say.

That's reminds me of when I was a teenager about 13 and this lad asked to meet me and his friend wanted to meet my friend.

So we kissed and then after that, we were all walking down the road when he said to me "are ya gonna hold me hand?" and I was thinking "****! Hold hands?" I was grand with the kissing but it took some strength to bring myself to hold his hand :/:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I blame emigration..
    The kids all foook off to Australia, then you send the oul-fella up to the airport the following year to collect them.
    And he's foookin hugged out of it, and he brings the wee ****s back to the house and everyone in the foookin house is hugged out of it...
    It's foookin ridiculous ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I like a nice hug especially when you're feeling sad.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The whole hug carry on is a bit baffling to me.

Neighbours invite us for a drink on Saturday night. See them at 7.30 when I'm nipping to the shop to buy a bottle of wine (at least a tenner, I'm no cheapskate). "Are you still ok for 8 o'clock? "...cue 5 minutes small talk about babysitters etc.

Arrive back, say bye to the kids and walk across to their house. Hug central on the doorstep. Why? I was only chatting to you 30 minutes ago. It's not like I haven't washed up like Terry Waites after years in captivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Hugs Not Drugs

Feck hugs, do dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

mfceiling wrote: »
    The whole hug carry on is a bit baffling to me.

Neighbours invite us for a drink on Saturday night. See them at 7.30 when I'm nipping to the shop to buy a bottle of wine (at least a tenner, I'm no cheapskate). "Are you still ok for 8 o'clock? "...cue 5 minutes small talk about babysitters etc.

Arrive back, say bye to the kids and walk across to their house. Hug central on the doorstep. Why? I was only chatting to you 30 minutes ago. It's not like I haven't washed up like Terry Waites after years in captivity.

You've 2 possibilities here.

Swingers, or alcoholics.

Sorry 3 possibilities - Alcoholic swingers.

Basically you've a 66% chance of getting your end away - those are good odds:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think we should all walk around with our hands in our pockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I generally go with a "no first use" rule when hugging. It's not that I don't like hugs, but some people don't so I don't want to make it awkward. Of course if everybody followed this rule, nobody would ever hug anybody...

I also like to go with an arms high and wide starting position for hugs. In an awkward moment I once brushed a girl's ass while lifting my arms for a hug and then worried about it for seven years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I ordered a "How to Hug" book, but when it arrived I discovered it was Volume 7 of an encyclopaedia. :o

anna080 wrote: »
    I don't think I was hugged enough as a child because I genuinely do not like hugs.

I dread it. My slicker colleagues have moved onto kisses on the cheek, which is utterly beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hugs are awesome. A little too much contact for some people, maybe...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Hugs are for insecure people.

Firm handshake ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

snowflaker wrote: »
    Hugs are for insecure people.

Firm handshake ftw

Agh, no. If you're not secure enough to manage the physcial contact required to hug someone, don't pretend.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I am loving this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I never hug, too awkward and personal

• Advertisement

What a dumb dumb joyless paranoid world we are descending into the last few years. Hugging IS fine.

Advertisement