Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it okay to hug...??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Hugs are great. That is all.

45bc0b26aa9ff1cb4ce40685dd2e7c56233a2fe4a8ecee7215747a2070221f8c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

They are better than a limp handshake. Or an overly aggressive hand crunching handshake (these people are limp handhshakers over compensating)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Hugs are fine until you meet the...

1. Lingerer
    2. Bear hugger
    3. Someone with massive boobs. And you think, well, this is going to get intimate :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

Is giving somebody a hug to be avoided nowadays?
    In what sphere is it permissable and when is it a complete no- no?
    Can you not just judge the individual situation yourself?

I like hugging people close to me - or even a new person if I've gotten on really well with them, but this "Free hugs" stuff, just think it's weird and try-hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Y'see, this topic is making me extremely self- conscious.
    Coming up to Christmas, it's safe to say that we will all be engaging in more hugging than during the rest of the year.
    There's a guy in work who is a big Xmas addict, (decorations, lights up since early November), who shares his over entheusiastic hugging with all the girls in the office, when completely sober.
    Now, nearly all of the recipients of have shared that they do NOT look forward to this annual display of affection. Actually, it also happens on their birthdays.
    So, I've decided to go in for a sort of "half-hug", which doesn't highlight you as an unfriendly uncaring type, but also shows that you are certainly not getting any enjoyment from it.
    It's a flipping minefield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

We never bother hugging in the workplace unless someone is leaving, but we all get on really well. No need for it just because it's Christmas (and I love Christmas).

I think with a good bit of drink on board, it'll always feel like the thing to do at the end of the night :D but otherwise I agree some overdo it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Im not a big hugger. I will hug my husband and kids and one of my really good friends who gives me a hug every time we meet up and im used to her doing it and my mother the odd time . we are not a huggy family but no one else. if I don't know you very very well don't touch me. that's my motto.

Advertisement