Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

1194195196197198200»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Have to wonder why Munster didn't trade a player for Carbery.
    Of course Leinster may have opted to trust in their own academy prospects, but could have asked for Keatley in exchange perhaps.

Keatley can't just be told that Munster are cutting his contract and sending him to Dublin because Leinster would like for him to sit on their bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

PMC83 wrote: »
    Is Brendan Macken signed with anyone? He's left Wasps but no sign of another club

Don't think he's signed with anyone no.

Not sure any of the provinces would need/ take him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Don't think he's signed with anyone no.

Not sure any of the provinces would need/ take him

Gone to Leicester

Gone to Leicester

To work with Matt O'Connor.

Worked out for him so well last time ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Buer wrote: »
    Keatley can't just be told that Munster are cutting his contract and sending him to Dublin because Leinster would like for him to sit on their bench.

There could surely be a negotiation though.
    It depends on what's in his contract, perhaps he was asked and refused the move. All speculation of course.
    I would imagine though that if he was offered an incentive he would have considered the move, similar to Carbery.
    I don't know what incentive would have worked, perhaps a bonus for cooperating, perhaps help with finding a job after the rugby career finishes, or perhaps simply promising that if he performs in training that he could work his way onto the bench and could earn a few starts when Sexton is not available.
    I find it hard to believe that someone would turn down a move if there was an effort to incentivise the move for him.
    Whatever about the difficulties in convincing him to move, for Munster it makes no sense to have 5 outhalves, and for Leinster it makes no sense to replace a capped international with an academy player if Keatley could be encouraged to move.
    I think Keatley only has one more year on his contract, perhaps an offer to give him a 2 year contract might have been enough?

Does anyone know if players can change clubs during the season?

For example, if Munster find that they have 5 outhalves all vying for game time come December, and Leinster lose one of their outhalves, would it be possible at that point to move one of the Munster players to plug the gap?
    If that is possible, then at least that might be one reason why one of them haven't moved yet.
    If for example it became apparent that Keatley was 3rd or 4th choice by December, perhaps then would be a good time for him to move.
    I'm only asking the question, trying to make sense of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Keatley is hardly going to want to move to Leinster so that he "might" force his way onto the bench. He's competing against Leinster's 3rd choice 10 where he is, why would he swap that for competing against their 1st and 2nd?

Also doubt Leinster would be that interested in him to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It depends on what's in his contract, perhaps he was asked and refused the move. All speculation of course.
    I would imagine though that if he was offered an incentive he would have considered the move, similar to Carbery.
    I don't know what incentive would have worked, perhaps a bonus for cooperating, perhaps help with finding a job after the rugby career finishes, or perhaps simply promising that if he performs in training that he could work his way onto the bench and could earn a few starts when Sexton is not available.
    I find it hard to believe that someone would turn down a move if there was an effort to incentivise the move for him.
    Whatever about the difficulties in convincing him to move, for Munster it makes no sense to have 5 outhalves, and for Leinster it makes no sense to replace a capped international with an academy player if Keatley could be encouraged to move.
    I think Keatley only has one more year on his contract, perhaps an offer to give him a 2 year contract might have been enough?

For example, if Munster find that they have 5 outhalves all vying for game time come December, and Leinster lose one of their outhalves, would it be possible at that point to move one of the Munster players to plug the gap?
    If that is possible, then at least that might be one reason why one of them haven't moved yet.
    If for example it became apparent that Keatley was 3rd or 4th choice by December, perhaps then would be a good time for him to move.
    Players can move mid season. Generally is loan deals but often a player can be released early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Players can move mid season. Generally is loan deals but often a player can be released early.

Can only play for one team in European competition though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Keatley is hardly going to want to move to Leinster so that he "might" force his way onto the bench. He's competing against Leinster's 3rd choice 10 where he is, why would he swap that for competing against their 1st and 2nd?

Also doubt Leinster would be that interested in him to be honest.

If he was properly incentivised I'm sure he would go, regardless of who he was competing with.
    It's not really a huge issue for Munster, as three of the outhalves are only contracted to the end of the season, Hanrahan/Bleyendaal/Keatley.
    Hanrahan can be useful to cover fullback or centre, likewise Keatley, and Bleyendaal is still a doubt for his neck recovery.

But in terms of Leinster, it is a bit of an issue as someone mentioned earlier, to lose someone like Carbery and replace them with an academy prospect is a risky move.
    It could work out, if Sexton stays fit and available, and Byrne stays fit and in form, and the young guys come in and play well.
    I suppose they could still resort to Cathal Marsh if required, or even Harry Byrne from the academy.

If he was properly incentivised I'm sure he would go, regardless of who he was competing with.
    It's not really a huge issue for Munster, as three of the outhalves are only contracted to the end of the season, Hanrahan/Bleyendaal/Keatley.
    Hanrahan can be useful to cover fullback or centre, likewise Keatley, and Bleyendaal is still a doubt for his neck recovery.

But in terms of Leinster, it is a bit of an issue as someone mentioned earlier, to lose someone like Carbery and replace them with an academy prospect is a risky move.
    It could work out, if Sexton stays fit and available, and Byrne stays fit and in form, and the young guys come in and play well.
    I suppose they could still resort to Cathal Marsh if required, or even Harry Byrne from the academy.

Yeah, it's a risk for sure though it's not exactly uncommon for our third choice to be fairly inexperienced. There is probably more benefit to Leinster in getting Frawley gametime.

I am equally as surprised as you that Munster are retaining 5 outhalves but I don't think Leinster would really be interested in any of the ones they would be willing to let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’m more surprised that Marsh wasn’t re-signed when it became obvious Joey was going. He would be as good as anything we’d be getting from Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Keatley has more of a chance getting gametime in Munster than he does Leinster.

Byrne and Sexton are both miles ahead of him in the pecking order. So he'd be competing with Frawley.

On the other hand down in Munster he has Carbery, and then JJ (who has played a few complete mares), Bleyendaal who's perpetually injured, and Bill Johnston who hasn't had a look in at all.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Keatley starting a few games in the Pro14 this year by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sure even Carbery couldn't get a start at 10 for Leinster last year. The problem is not the status quo, the nightmare scenario is an injury to Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Yeah, it's a risk for sure though it's not exactly uncommon for our third choice to be fairly inexperienced. There is probably more benefit to Leinster in getting Frawley gametime.

I am equally as surprised as you that Munster are retaining 5 outhalves but I don't think Leinster would really be interested in any of the ones they would be willing to let go.

Frawley is clearly a better player than Marsh even though less "experienced"

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Sure even Carbery couldn't get a start at 10 for Leinster last year. The problem is not the status quo, the nightmare scenario is an injury to Byrne.

Noel Reid to the rescue

Frawley is clearly a better player than Marsh even though less "experienced"

So it seems. But he is essentially replacing Carberry next season, not Marsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Leinster would be far more willing to make a fully concentrated push to develop Byrne as Sexton's successor and bring along 1-2 young guys like Frawley and Byrne Jnr. rather than bring in an aging outhalf from Munster to sit on the bench and block development of others.

As someone else pointed out, Marsh remaining in Dublin and playing in the AIL might be a decent scenario for Leinster. In the event of multiple injuries, he may be willing to slot into the set up for a short spell and provide cover.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Forgot Noel Reid can play 10.

I know he's not everyone's favourite, but it's another option at the very least.

I reckon Frawley is ready to play the role we need him to play anyway. He performed well when we needed him last year.

The problem is if Byrne gets injured though, as someone already pointed out. We were blessed to have Byrne and Carbery last year with the level they're both at.

Faugheen wrote: »

I know he's not everyone's favourite, but it's another option at the very least

I wonder will see any other left field tens this year? None of us considered Cooney but he did a job at Connacht. Did RR play ten in school, or was he just a goal kicking 13?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭hoodor

I wonder will see any other left field tens this year? None of us considered Cooney but he did a job at Connacht. Did RR play ten in school, or was he just a goal kicking 13?

9 then 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

So it seems. But he is essentially replacing Carberry next season, not Marsh.

Didnt say he was replacing Marsh- people here are comparing him versus Marsh so just giving my opinion on that comparison

Frawley is our 3rd choice ten, at u20 level he played 12 and last season he was playing mostly 12 and 15 until injury struck and he shifted back to 10 for A team.

Was a 10 up to u20 level. Hopefully the club game, will have developed another versatile 10 for senior team.

Didnt say he was replacing Marsh- people here are comparing him versus Marsh so just giving my opinion on that comparison

No they're not. They're saying Marsh is a break-glass option behind Frawley if absolutely needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Just spent a few seconds imagining Rhys Ruddock playing at 10...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Faugheen wrote: »

I know he's not everyone's favourite, but it's another option at the very least.

I reckon Frawley is ready to play the role we need him to play anyway. He performed well when we needed him last year.

The problem is if Byrne gets injured though, as someone already pointed out. We were blessed to have Byrne and Carbery last year with the level they're both at.

My recollection of Reid playing 10 with the academy is that he was fairly conservative with his kicking game. I can't think of him even teasing kicks from hand at 12.

My recollection of Reid playing 10 with the academy is that he was fairly conservative with his kicking game. I can't think of him even teasing kicks from hand at 12.

he never kicks from play at 12, utterly predictable average player.. says a lot about the other options developed at 12 that he has so many caps this decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yea without Carberry it narrows the options. RB has got to stay healthy. It's also a massive year for him as he could push on to the rwc squad.
    Frawley may be a godsend and may be a good bench option. He certainly will be pumped up now that he's 3rd 10 on the team. Hope he kicks on and has a stormer of a year.

Safe pair of hands on Frawley. Excited for the year ahead

https://www.instagram.com/p/Blp3VRdHJga/?taken-by=rugbyplayersireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Kevski wrote: »
    Just spent a few seconds imagining Rhys Ruddock playing at 10...

Is there anything he can't do?

• Advertisement

Is there anything he can't do?

Stay fit :(

I worry about Ruddock. He's had an awful history of injuries. Hopefully, he can stay fit and if he does he will certainly be an option for the international team. His form last year was outstanding.
    Warburton retiring kind of makes one think of guys like Ruddock.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I worry about Ruddock. He's had an awful history of injuries. Hopefully, he can stay fit and if he does he will certainly be an option for the international team. His form last year was outstanding.
    Warburton retiring kind of makes one think of guys like Ruddock.

I'd be more thinking of O'Brien. He has a worse injury history and closer to Warburton's age.

Right, I'm not holding too much hope for O'Brien.
    I think his health issues are going to derail him and sometime soon. Shame if happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Is new gear available in shops tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Closing thread due to approaching post limit...

Continued here...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107616772#post107616772

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement