Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

nagdefy wrote: »
    Why give you a break?

He's a world renowned and respected coach who won a World Cup? I always find there's a problem when a poster who isn't a regular comes onto the rugby fora there are a group of awfully condescending no it alls/

When you reply with 'give us a break' it's as if 'oh i've too much knowledge to debate with you'.
    You're arguing about something that hasn't even been said. That you say yourself isn't reality. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No but Schmidt took his advice. That says something.

Ah ffs Michael Jordan 'the reason why i succeed is because i fail so often'.

No, Schmidt had little choice when IK wasn't playing for Munster due to TB taking the jersey and Jackson wasn't allowed enter the United States. It was Carbery or Jack Carty at that point.

Carbery will be doign well to keep ahead of Ross Byrne by next summer for Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No but Schmidt took his advice. That says something.

I also said Carbery was good. So Joe took my advice.

In fact, I said it before Henry ever saw Carbery so Henry took my advice too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Buer wrote: »
    Larmour looks like a great talent but seriously...it was a Dragons understrength side. Lets have some perspective. Lets see how he copes with semi-competent opposition before calling for him to be in the Irish set up.

He was being targeted by very experienced half backs and he answered every challenge they flung at him. He came out of this match quite well on the foot of that. Their entire attack at the start of the match was focused on exposing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We need to get Henry in to tell the coaches that have already selected Larmour that he might be good? OK....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Graham Henry won a RWC at home (and somewhat fortunately if anyone remembers the final). He also blew a RWC with a fantastic side in 2007. He blew a Lions tour with a superb team (the England RWC winning pack with Wilkinson, BOD and Robinson outside). He left Wales after Ireland beat them by almost 50 points.

I'd put stock in the word of many coaches just as highly.

The 2011 WC final was a huge test for NZ after 24 years of failure. The tension, playing at home, expectation, Christchurch earthquake. With their 4th outhalf and Piri Weepu kicking the goals! John Hart failed in 1999, Laurie Maines in 1995 etc.

Australia were a better side than that Lions team IMO.

Aside from Henry, Larmour deserves a go in the squad.

Their entire attack at the start of the match was focused on exposing him.

A huge amount of their attack, including their try, was concentrated on attacking us around the breakdown and fringes.

Nobody's "entire attack" is focused on exposing any single player or facet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think it’s because Carberry was very highly rated before he ever got here. The Henry thing is a media soundbite, he was expected to get game time for Leinster before he arrived.

It's easy say that it's a media soundbite, who knows only the individuals involved.

My basic argument is Larmour deserves a chance. If Adam Byrne is getting a game on the wing against Argentina.
    Adam Byrne has been impressive for the last 12 months. Larmour hasn't even played 12 months pro rugby.

The tension, playing at home, expectation, Christchurch earthquake. .

Come off it. These are reasons why NZ might not have won the RWC? Playing at home?!

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    We need to get Henry in to tell the coaches that have already selected Larmour that he might be good? OK....

Your a mod for this site and if that reply is your stock in trade i'm out. It's the know it all bulls*it sarcastic attitude that is rampant here.

Why couldn't you craft your statement something like 'well actually i have it on good authority that Carberry was going to be selected anyway'.

This old boys club isn't for me. It's no wonder that most of the province of Leinster outside your D4 cocoon supported Munster until recent years.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You're arguing about something that hasn't even been said. That you say yourself isn't reality. WTF?

He said 'give me a break' about referencing Henry. I said he had some achievevments. Comprendez???

Your a mod for this site and if that reply is your stock in trade i'm out. It's the know it all bulls*it sarcastic attitude that is rampant here.

Why couldn't you craft your statement something like 'well actually i have it on good authority that Carberry was going to be selected anyway'.

This old boys club isn't for me. It's no wonder that most of the province of Leinster outside your D4 cocoon supported Munster until recent years.

You said the following:
    Many of the best players played for their country before their province. You either have it or you don't. If Graham Henry saw Larmour he'd be having a word with head coaches as he did about Carberry.

So what exactly might Henry be having a word about, that the coaches at Leinster wouldn't already be wise to?

How about Joe saw Carbery playing at schools level and noted him back that far? Because he did, and said so.

But I suppose I'm a D4 cocoonist too?

Clegg wrote: »
    Adam Byrne has been impressive for the last 12 months. Larmour hasn't even played 12 months pro rugby.

But he hasn't. See him try and defend against Nadolo. Now your man is a 21 st big unit but no technique or no heart in tackling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Ah a non rugby fan thinking he is smarter than the rest of us..

• Advertisement

He said 'give me a break' about referencing Henry. I said he had some achievevments. Comprendez???
    No. You made up a scenario about Henry commenting on Larmour. And then ran with it as if it had actually happened.

No comprende?

Except the vast majority of us aren't from D4. You made a very questionable statement relating to calling for a guy with 4 pro starts to his name to be involved for Ireland and, when people disagree, you're making a very tenuous claim in reference to their social background?

How about Joe saw Carbery playing at schools level and noted him back that far? Because he did, and said so.

But I suppose I'm a D4 cocoonist too?

I'm mentioned Henry once. My main argument is Larmour deserves a go with the Irish senior panel. But a little, well actually large, clique here want to jump on my Henry comment.

And with a name like prawnsambo...you tell me.

Look i've had enough of this site. One mention that Henry would admire Larmour and i get ganged up on. Rather than the actual merits of Larmour over Kearney (Rob).

I know criticising Rob Kearney is a fairly worn at this stage but my point of having Larmour with some game time rather than Rob 2 years older at a WC stands.

Very few of you argued in a sincere fashion just sarky comments about Henry. And when the mod leads the way it says it all.

No. You made up a scenario about Henry commenting on Larmour. And then ran with it as if it had actually happened.

No comprende?

I didn't. I said i'd imagine Henry would appreciate Larmour. So what.

I'm mentioned Henry once. My main argument is Larmour deserves a go with the Irish senior panel. But a little, well actually large, clique here want to jump on my Henry comment.

Look i've had enough of this site. One mention that Henry would admire Larmour and i get ganged up on. Rather than the actual merits of Larmour over Kearney (Rob).

I know criticising Rob Kearney is a fairly worn at this stage but my point of having Larmour with some game time rather than Rob 2 years older at a WC stands.

Very few of you argued in a sincere fashion just sarky comments about Henry. And when the mod leads the way it says it all.
    You're the one with the sarky comments. Do you want me to list them?

People responded to your promotion of Larmour with very reasonable comments. You then threw a hypothetical Graham Henry quote in to bolster your argument. That's what I had a go at. And I make no apologies for it.

And my username comes from a Roy Keane quote. Perhaps you're too young to have heard it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I’m not even from Dublin. Cheers though.

Except the vast majority of us aren't from D4. You made a very questionable statement relating to calling for a guy with 4 pro starts to his name to be involved for Ireland and, when people disagree, you're making a very tenuous claim in reference to their social background?

Well wherever ye're from ye're a cosy clique. Over 4 years commenting occasionally on the rugby fora i forget myself and come back on. Then i remember why I did.

This rubbish about 4 pro games. In many codes players make the step up.

I neither moderate this forum, nor lead any opinion on it. Your point has been done to death, however, and this could be the reason so many people are disagreeing with you. Every single time, and it really is EVERY single time a fullback plays well for a province, Kearney is brought up. His place in the national or provincial side is questioned; the things he supposedly can't do are brought up. It's just tedious.

irishfan9 wrote: »

I've been attending rugby games since i was 5!

I’m not even from Dublin. Cheers though.

Not you Sir. You replied with no condescension.

Congrats.

So for a year then.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. :D

I'll get me coat. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

OK lads and lassies, debate the issue at hand and stop taking pot-shots at each other.

In case you are wondering, I *am* a mod here so if you have an issue, report the post or pm me or any other rugby mod.

Thanks.

You're the one with the sarky comments. Do you want me to list them?

People responded to your promotion of Larmour with very reasonable comments. You then threw a hypothetical Graham Henry quote in to bolster your argument. That's what I had a go at. And I make no apologies for it.

And my username comes from a Roy Keane quote. Perhaps you're too young to have heard it?

I've forgotten more about many sports than you ever knew.

Roy got thrown in against Liverpool no hassle into a First Division 1 game with just some reserve experience for Notts Forrest. Happens in many sports.

By the way the Premiership only came into being in 1992.

So for a year then.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. :D

I'll get me coat. :o

36 actually:)

• Advertisement

Well wherever ye're from ye're a cosy clique. Over 4 years commenting occasionally on the rugby fora i forget myself and come back on. Then i remember why I did.

This rubbish about 4 pro games. In many codes players make the step up.

I'll assume you've had a few and leave it at that.

Reid's passing was key tonight.

Congrats.

Posting a lot on a forum isn't the sole way how you judge if a person is a rugby fan. Attending games etc i think helps a lot.

Reid's passing was key tonight.

He's lightweight though. Got pushed easily into touch in the first half.

I'll assume you've had a few and leave it at that.

No Buer. Sober. I always find it very unwelcoming here. Kind of a bullying attitude. 100% honest. And i'm not a snowflake:D

I've forgotten more about many sports than you ever knew.

Roy got thrown in against Liverpool no hassle into a First Division 1 game with just some reserve experience for Notts Forrest. Happens in many sports.

By the way the Premiership only came into being in 1992.
    So?

I don't recall saying anything about when the premiership started. :confused:

Larmour hasn't even started against anything other than Pro 14 opposition. Let's see how he manages tighter spaces than was available to him tonight. I'm not saying he can't, just that he hasn't had an opportunity to show one way or the other.

I even said he'd a chance of making the training squad for the 6N, so I'm not against the idea. Just think the jury is still out.

We'll leave it there so:D

Never said otherwise, we all know reid's limitations.. however his passing really helped tonight.

So?

I don't recall saying anything about when the premiership started. :confused:

Larmour hasn't even started against anything other than Pro 14 opposition. Let's see how he manages tighter spaces than was available to him tonight. I'm not saying he can't, just that he hasn't had an opportunity to show one way or the other.

I even said he'd a chance of making the training squad for the 6N, so I'm not against the idea. Just think the jury is still out.

How about being on the panel for the Italy game at home and getting half a game? Hardly break us!

You made a reference about my age and your username. I was just demonstrating that i'm no kid.

Look i'm 41, i've attended rugby games since i was 5 in 1982. I'm die hard!

As said to Buer i find it most unwelcoming on here of all sports fora, my opinion.

I'll take back my D4 comment, out of order. But i'm a sincere person.

• Advertisement

Never said otherwise, we all know reid's limitations.. however his passing really helped tonight.

It did and in fairness he stepped well for a few breaks. Centre will be the crux for Leinster this year. Ringrose coming back after a long lay off and Henshaw finding form.

How about being on the panel for the Italy game at home and getting half a game? Hardly break us!

You made a reference about my age and your username. I was just demonstrating that i'm no kid.

Look i'm 41, i've attended rugby games since i was 5 in 1982. I'm die hard!

As said to Buer i find it most unwelcoming on here of all sports fora, my opinion.

I'll take back my D4 comment, out of order. But i'm a sincere person.
    Fair enough. But as far as I can see, nobody said anything unreasonable. Everyone here is excited about his potential. But that's all it is right now. The chap needs to get some serious game time for Leinster first. If he's that good, Leo won't keep him off the pitch. But bear in mind that Carbery was starting at 15 this season with Larmour available.

Carberry is class too. It's finding game time for them all with Leinster. Ross Byrne is steadily improving. He's not Carberry but he could be a very solid 10 yet.

Fair enough. But as far as I can see, nobody said anything unreasonable. Everyone here is excited about his potential. But that's all it is right now. The chap needs to get some serious game time for Leinster first. If he's that good, Leo won't keep him off the pitch. But bear in mind that Carbery was starting at 15 this season with Larmour available.

irishfan9 'Give me a break with the henry stuff'.

Prawnsambo it's one liner's like those that i find i always get when i come onto the fora. He replied another time 'Ah a non rugby fan thinking he is smarter than the rest of us..'

Now that's someone who just dismisses your opinion out of hand and is full of themselves.

That riles me! This 'Us' idea. Wouldn't that make you feel like you weren't in the clique?

Anyway enough said. Work early. Cheers for the decent replies prawn.

irishfan9 'Give me a break with the henry stuff'.

Prawnsambo it's one liner's like those that i find i always get when i come onto the fora. He replied another time 'Ah a non rugby fan thinking he is smarter than the rest of us..'

Now that's someone who just dismisses your opinion out of hand and is full of themselves.

That riles me! This 'Us' idea. Wouldn't that make you feel like you weren't in the clique?

Anyway enough said. Work early. Cheers for the decent replies prawn.
    Ah, you need to have a look at the Golf forum 'Handicap system changes' thread before you start pointing fingers in here.

Down to earth bunch of lads here in comparison. :)

And I'm even a bit embarassed making that connection. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

nagdefy - I don't necessarily agree with promoting Larmour straight to the Irish squad, it seems like on here as soon as some new Leinster young 'un puts in an eye-catching performance the calls go out to push him for international inclusion. He's an exciting talent for sure though, if he keeps turning out performances like he's shown capable of he'll put himself in the frame for a 15 jersey that is becoming more available.

You definitely have a point on the atmosphere in the forum. I read for anonymously for years before deciding to join and have picked up on it since posting that there's a cosy little core group of posters who dominate and constantly cast little barbs, jibes and in-jokes at things that go outside the perceived group-think or view. Some seem to get off lighter than others when it comes to pushing site rule boundaries.

Makes the place tedious at times, which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Doesn't have the winning instinct to force himself into the top pro category that Ferg has. Both of similar talent levels and physique

Granny15 wrote: »
    Doesn't have the winning instinct to force himself into the top pro category that Ferg has. Both of similar talent levels and physique

Similar physique? Ur gold

leakyboots wrote: »
    nagdefy - I don't necessarily agree with promoting Larmour straight to the Irish squad, it seems like on here as soon as some new Leinster young 'un puts in an eye-catching performance the calls go out to push him for international inclusion. He's an exciting talent for sure though, if he keeps turning out performances like he's shown capable of he'll put himself in the frame for a 15 jersey that is becoming more available.

You definitely have a point on the atmosphere in the forum. I read for anonymously for years before deciding to join and have picked up on it since posting that there's a cosy little core group of posters who dominate and constantly cast little barbs, jibes and in-jokes at things that go outside the perceived group-think or view. Some seem to get off lighter than others when it comes to pushing site rule boundaries.

Makes the place tedious at times, which is a shame.

Yeah I think there is an anti critical thinking view on this site from a certain crowd. Question a few well regarded players abilities and you'll get put down and slagged off as clueless. But isn't that what fora are for being critical when the crowd thinks otherwise?

Similar physique? Ur gold

Ferg may be stronger than Reid but they are around the same height weight

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Reid is noticibly taller and thinner than Fergus, who is smaller and squatter.

They do not have similar physiques.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement