Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants and landlords given guidelines on rent increase rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

If only they had released these guidelines along with the rule!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I can't remember when I last read such a woolly set of guidelines.
    Unlikely to constitute a substantial change
    • Internal upgrades (on an individual basis)
    • Upgrade of kitchen
    • Upgrade of bathroom(s)
    • Painting and decoration
    • Plaster repairs
    • Replacement of carpets/flooring

Note that a combination of a number of improvements may suffice as a substantial change

While it's no bad thing to see some guidelines, there's enough might/may/possibly sprinkled about the document that it barely clarifies anything.

I guess it's good that it identifies a few things which on their own wouldn't constitute a substantial change. That's some progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Graham wrote: »
    I assume that they can't go beyond the legislation, and that in itself is imprecise.

Would be so much easier if the legislation had allowed for a % increase to current rent based on % increase in market rate from improvements. As it stands the outcome is binary, heavily favouring either the tenant or the landlord. That's a recipe for disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Just seen an article on this. Recently moved out of Dublin and was paying well below market rate for a 2 bed in Dublin 6 area. When leaving we asked what she would likely rent the apartent for - said about 400e more a month..nuts. Anyway the landlord said they had planned on doing 'renovations' and mentioned updating the kitchen, not sure what else.

Based on the reports released your not allowed up the rent more than 4% of the previous tenants rate,depending on what constitues significant renovations. I feel like sending the current occupants a letter outlining the rate we were paying and for them to ask the landlord what renovations were done since we moved out. Would they have a case to challenge the Landlord if there wasnt significant renovations done? Or the more likely scenario, is that the occupants wouldnt want to challenge as they wont want to risk losing a renewal on the lease. 

Hypothetically if they did challenge, would the fact they have signed a lease override any chance of them being successful in bringing a case to have the rent reduced?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Hypothetically if they did challenge, would the fact they have signed a lease override any chance of them being successful in bringing a case to have the rent reduced?

No, it shouldn't have any effect on their chances.

A tenant cannot opt-out of the legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Based on the reports released your not allowed up the rent more than 4% of the previous tenants rate,depending on what constitues significant renovations.

You would assume that the PRTB writes to all landlords and new/old tenants asking for confirmation of the substantial works. But from what I have seen, nothing. Another empty threat enshrined into law.
    rawn wrote: »
    If only they had released these guidelines along with the rule!

As long as the legislation has its rather vague wording, that guidelines booklet means little to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Graham wrote: »

+1

I dont think these guidelines do anything to help. Regardless of what guidelines are released by the RTB, its ultimately the interpretation of the courts that will be the final answer, but at least give some practical direction of how a RTB tribunal will entertain certain works.

If a new kitchen is installed, is that substantial? What about new windows, or just 1 new window, or a new front door. What about moving a partition wall or ..... Everyone is still in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

What does "good practice" actually mean? Can the RTB base decisions on their arbitrary definition of "good practice"?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I feel like sending the current occupants a letter outlining the rate we were paying and for them to ask the landlord what renovations were done since we moved out. Would they have a case to challenge the Landlord if there wasnt significant renovations done? Or the more likely scenario, is that the occupants wouldnt want to challenge as they wont want to risk losing a renewal on the lease.
    Not 100% sure, but pretty sure that once in, and past the first 6 months, they can stay for 4 years under Part IV, without having to renew any lease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Talk about race to the bottom.

If a new kitchen, a decent one can easily cost 19k, can’t get you any kind of payback, landlords will obviously stick to cheapest of the cheap and go for the 2k cardboard kitchen instead. Sellotape repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

pwurple wrote: »
    Talk about race to the bottom.

If a new kitchen, a decent one can easily cost 19k, can’t get you any kind of payback, landlords will obviously stick to cheapest of the cheap and go for the 2k cardboard kitchen instead. Sellotape repairs.
    Are you really going to spend 19k more often than every four years? Because that's the maximum amount of time you have to wait for a tenancy to terminate naturally, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lumen wrote: »
    Are you really going to spend 19k more often than every four years? Because that's the maximum amount of time you have to wait for a tenancy to terminate naturally, I think.
    Now 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lumen wrote: »

But you didn’t need to wait 4 years to renegotiate the rent.

I did a complete overhaul of a place years ago, replaced all the floors, repainted, replaced the kitchen. Tenant remained, we had agreed an increase in rent in advance. They wanted it done up, i was happy to do it if as it brought it up above the standard of the other units nearby, as long as it also increased my income.

Can’t happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Bottom line at the moment is that there is zero financial incentive for landlords to improve or upgrade their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

DubCount wrote: »
    +1

I dont think these guidelines do anything to help. Regardless of what guidelines are released by the RTB, its ultimately the interpretation of the courts that will be the final answer, but at least give some practical direction of how a RTB tribunal will entertain certain works.

If a new kitchen is installed, is that substantial? What about new windows, or just 1 new window, or a new front door. What about moving a partition wall or ..... Everyone is still in the dark.

What I want to know is how do they check that the works has been done,
    Do you just provide receipts ?
    Do they come out before and after to inspect ?

It’s all so vague in detail

Advertisement