Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface Pro advice

Options
  • 23-11-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking about getting a Surface Pro. I was aiming for the i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB version and waiting until next year but Microsoft have a deal at the moment for the i5, 4GB, 128GB version with keyboard for less than €1000 Euro at the moment which is very tempting.

I’m wondering if the lower spec is grand for what I’ll be using it for? Realistically all I’ll be using it for is internet and some basic Excel. Based on anyone’s experience would I regret buying the lower spec version when my usage is quite limited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

It seems like a large budget for internet and excel. 4GB 128GB is a decent spec for light browsing. I don't like Microsoft anymore. Anything I've bought with Windows in the last 5 years doesn't last p***ing time, and in retrospect has been a huge waste of money. I have an iPad mini 2 I got 4 odd years ago that runs like a dream and uses excel with no issues, and I hated Apple products before I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I don’t really want to get into a Apple v Microsoft discussion. I’ve already ruled out an iPad for various reasons.

bee06 wrote: »
    I don’t really want to get into a Apple v Microsoft discussion. I’ve already ruled out an iPad for various reasons.

I wasn't making a "vs" argument, I just thought €1000 seemed rather generous for light browsing and excel use. The spec is a good spec for what you want it for, but you're paying a lot for it (windows also doesn't stand the test of time, IMO). That was the point I was making :D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I’m thinking about getting a Surface Pro. I was aiming for the i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB version and waiting until next year but Microsoft have a deal at the moment for the i5, 4GB, 128GB version with keyboard for less than €1000 Euro at the moment which is very tempting.

I’m wondering if the lower spec is grand for what I’ll be using it for? Realistically all I’ll be using it for is internet and some basic Excel. Based on anyone’s experience would I regret buying the lower spec version when my usage is quite limited?

I have a similar spec SP4. I run my business on it, which is basically acctg software, MS office and web. No complaints. The portability was akey issue for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I wasn't making a "vs" argument, I just thought €1000 seemed rather generous for light browsing and excel use. The spec is a good spec for what you want it for, but you're paying a lot for it (windows also doesn't stand the test of time, IMO). That was the point I was making :D

Let’s just say, money wise it’s a treat to myself for being awesome ;)

• Advertisement

Let’s just say, money wise it’s a treat to myself for being awesome ;)

Hope you love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The big issue I would have is the keyboard - for extensive typing/data entry, it's a pain in the behind. I would imagine this is a particular concern for Excel.

You really should try out the keyboard to see if it is suitable for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There will always be deals on, I'm sure Christmas will bring a few more, so don't let that rush your decision.

That said, if you do expect to use it only for internet and Office stuff, forget the i5 version, the much cheaper Core m3 version should be plenty good enough for that, and there's a good price on it at the minute on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Surface-12-3-Inch-PixelSense-Tablet/dp/B076KRJG3C/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1512175336&sr=1-1&keywords=surface+pro

If you must go with an i5, then my next point would be to make sure you really want the detachable tablet screen bit, because if you don't see yourself using it that way, and you suspect you'll use it a lot on the sofa or other spaces where you won't have a desk/table to place it on, then you shouldn't get the Surface Pro, you should get the Surface Laptop instead. Prices are fairly comparable between the two, but the Laptop will just be a lot better for "lap" usage compared to the Pro, though the Pro is superb if you ever want to do some stylus stuff, doodling or more serious sketching for example.

I've had a Surface RT, Pro 1, Pro 3, and now my main machine is a Surface Book. The RT is the only one that doesn't get used for something anymore, and that's only because Windows RT was rubbish, mechanically and technically the thing still works just fine. The Surface range is just the best build of Windows device (and arguably even just generally the best build of PC, Macs included) you'll be able to get, and imo you'll never regret the extra money spent on them because of the quality. It's a cliché but they're like a VW Golf vs a Ford Fiesta from most other PC manufacturers.

Advertisement