Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture repair

Options
  • 23-11-2017 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Picked up a puncture on the way to work this morning, most likely due to all the rubbish on the road from all the rain yesterday.
    I filled it with that Holts emergency foam stuff and it held so i could get to work (also since when did garages start charging to use air pumps!!).

I'm out Ballsbridge way, anyone know of anywhere to fix a puncture? I called the Fastfit in Donnybrook and they don't do puncture repairs for scooters or motorbikes which I find a bit strange. (surely the process is the same, plug it and go...)

Or are there any handy tips to plug it myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

GEM Motorcycles in donnybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Sound, I will give them a shout.

Top lads in GEM, I will be using them again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TheShow wrote: »
    Top lads in GEM, I will be using them again!

Hopefully not for a puncture :P

Winter is a whore for punctures between the crap getting washed up onto the roads, plus the likes of screws, nails and larger pieces of glass puncture easier because both they and the tyre are lubricated by all water.

Regards the paying for air.. I asked a mate who was managing a filling station about paying for air and he to told me they'd often spend a two or three grand a year just replacing the air gauge, if that's the case its understandable.

Regards the paying for air.. I asked a mate who was managing a filling station about paying for air and he to told me they'd often spend a two or three grand a year just replacing the air gauge, if that's the case its understandable.

Seems reasonable in theory, but €1 for 5 mins of air when you only need it for 30 sec/1 min tops. Plus the machine only accepts one euro or two euro coins (topaz station). So this morning I paid €2 for 10 mins of air that I used for 30 seconds as I didnt have any €1 coins on me.

• Advertisement

Seems reasonable in theory, but €1 for 5 mins of air when you only need it for 30 sec/1 min tops. Plus the machine only accepts one euro or two euro coins (topaz station). So this morning I paid €2 for 10 mins of air that I used for 30 seconds as I didnt have any €1 coins on me.

I know, its a pain in the tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,983 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hopefully not for a puncture :P

Winter is a whore for punctures between the crap getting washed up onto the roads, plus the likes of screws, nails and larger pieces of glass puncture easier because both they and the tyre are lubricated by all water.

If they are doing that someone is taking the piss out of them.

listermint wrote: »
    If they are doing that someone is taking the piss out of them.

No idea.

Just done a quick search and found one for £80:95 HERE, a pump going 24/7 365 and getting fcked around day and night, then paying for its replacement * fitment its not beyond imagination that a busy station could pay for a good few replacements during the year.

I can hold my hand up to putting a boot on a few to bend them at right angles to get them to fit onto a valve (these days I carry a right angle valve in my pocket).

A lot of people just fcuk the gauge onto the ground after use, if the meter is broken the unit is replaced.

Anyway its not something I'm loosing too much sleep over

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

But you can use the vacuum cleaner for the other 9 minutes!

And clean out the ashtrays...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Hi all,
    Picked up a puncture on the way to work this morning, most likely due to all the rubbish on the road from all the rain yesterday.
    I filled it with that Holts emergency foam stuff and it held so i could get to work (also since when did garages start charging to use air pumps!!).

I'm out Ballsbridge way, anyone know of anywhere to fix a puncture? I called the Fastfit in Donnybrook and they don't do puncture repairs for scooters or motorbikes which I find a bit strange. (surely the process is the same, plug it and go...)

Or are there any handy tips to plug it myself?

You can buy a kit on ebay....theyre really cheap and easy to use..;)

• Advertisement

You can buy a kit on ebay....theyre really cheap and easy to use..;)

That's what I use for my bike and car.

You'll get about 30 plugs plus the tools for €10-€15.

The purist will tell us that they're only a temp fix, but tbh I just leave it be and I've never experienced a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

That's what I use for my bike and car.

You'll get about 30 plugs plus the tools for €10-€15.

The purist will tell us that they're only a temp fix, but tbh I just leave it be and I've never experienced a problem with them.

By purists i assume you mean the guys with more money than sense.....;):P

Advertisement