Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managing Large Music Libary

Options
  • 23-11-2017 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Alright folks, I`ve a hape of songs on my PC and the problem with them is the volume levels, some are to loud others to low, is there anything software wise, out there that would level them all at the same volume?

I`d like something free is it`s possible, simple and easy to use?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The operating system being used determines what is available.
    There are some cross platform applications which will do this
    http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/normalize.html
    but there are also many others and also different approaches.

I might use gnormalize to set all my files at equal volume, or maybe use AudioCompress which is a dynamic range compressor to keep audio output at a consistent volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

winamp (or is that too old school?!) has loads of plugins for this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

The operating system being used determines what is available.
    There are some cross platform applications which will do this
    http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/normalize.html
    but there are also many others and also different approaches.

I might use gnormalize to set all my files at equal volume, or maybe use AudioCompress which is a dynamic range compressor to keep audio output at a consistent volume.

I'll look into those, I just want something that works and will do ALL of my music, some software might limit the amount of songs.

winamp (or is that too old school?!) has loads of plugins for this sort of thing.

I use Winamp, but didn't know there was a plugin..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get foobar 2000. Setup leveling config. Profit.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Get foobar 2000. Setup leveling config. Profit.

I used Foobar for a short time ages ago and found it tricky to get around from what I remember.

lewis wrote: »
    I use Winamp, but didn't know there was a plugin..

try this

options > preferences > playback > Replay Gain > tick Use Replay Gain box then > amplification mode : normalize, untick : ask before writing Replay Gain to analysed files. Close

try this

options > preferences > playback > Replay Gain > tick Use Replay Gain box then > amplification mode : normalize, untick : ask before writing Replay Gain to analysed files. Close

What will it do once that`s done..make new copies of the songs...replace them...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Media Monkey can do the same, Its my preference

lewis wrote: »
    What will it do once that`s done..make new copies of the songs...replace them...

If you are simply playing back song files they'll be about the same volume, you might have to play about with the settings. Winamp won't remaster and rewrite/save the files.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Media Monkey can do the same, Its my preference

Same here. Though I don't always like the effect of Volume Leveling.

I'll do a small selection of songs and see how the sound.

The volume effect in music monkey is averaged over how many tracks you pick. (I think)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To be fair, I wouldn't expect something to do such a process in bulk, to get them all to fit right, individually.

(extreme examples used granted)

Songs that are produced dynamically, instead of loudly, will be impacted negatively by it. For example, Chinese Democracy by Guns N'Roses sounds relatively quiet, while Death Magnetic by Metallica is rather loud and harsh.

If you were to setup a process, so there's no perceived reduction in loudness between'em, it's result in other stuff being distorted.

What may be better would be to use a compressor plugin on Winamp, to handle things like this on the fly, instead of re-encoding your library.

https://winampheritage.com/plugin/audio-compressor-dsp/115820

This way you can set a threshold that'll reduce the loud music, but can also raise the queiter music, without affecting the manner in which it was produced.

Radio stations use a similar concept.

To be fair, I wouldn't expect something to do such a process in bulk, to get them all to fit right, individually.

(extreme examples used granted)

Songs that are produced dynamically, instead of loudly, will be impacted negatively by it. For example, Chinese Democracy by Guns N'Roses sounds relatively quiet, while Death Magnetic by Metallica is rather loud and harsh.

If you were to setup a process, so there's no perceived reduction in loudness between'em, it's result in other stuff being distorted.

What may be better would be to use a compressor plugin on Winamp, to handle things like this on the fly, instead of re-encoding your library.

https://winampheritage.com/plugin/audio-compressor-dsp/115820

This way you can set a threshold that'll reduce the loud music, but can also raise the queiter music, without affecting the manner in which it was produced.

Radio stations use a similar concept.

I'll give it a go, sounds like it might be the better option, I didn't like the idea of re-encoding thousands of songs.

That will work only where you you can use the plugin. I use my MP3 across many different devices. I wouldn't always have access to a plugin. If you do the plugin would be a better option.

Mainly the PC would be were I'd play them, I've got one playlist on my phone, only 600-700 songs on it I think, I might do them ones with one of the mentioned programs.

Advertisement