Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirPods Updated?

Options
  • 23-11-2017 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Does anybody remember if there were updated AirPods (with wireless charging) announced at the iPhone X event? There's no mention of wireless charging on the AirPods page on Apple's website. Wondering if I should wait to get the updated ones if they're imminent...?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

They did 'update' the AirPod case to show the charging light on the outside, I think. The fact they made this incremental change suggests they're not planning any imminent major upgrade.

I was waiting for the X launch to see if there was any related to AirPods worth waiting for, but then just bought a set in Dublin afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

from what I recall it was just an updated wireless charging case. Probably won't see it till the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Blazer wrote: »
    from what I recall it was just an updated wireless charging case. Probably won't see it till the new year.

That you purchase separately.

That you purchase separately.

yep.
    it will probably come by default with new pairs maybe.

yep.
    it will probably come by default with new pairs maybe.
    I wouldn't count on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I love Apple, and I love the Airpods, but I really think this was one of the sneakiest, shadiest maneuvers they've pulled in a long time. The "original" Airpods were out less than a year before the announcement basically making the case obsolete...!

I want to spite them for it by refusing to get it or the charging mat, but the possibility to be able to charge phone, watch, and earphones all at once is too tempting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

DivingDuck wrote: »
    I love Apple, and I love the Airpods, but I really think this was one of the sneakiest, shadiest maneuvers they've pulled in a long time. The "original" Airpods were out less than a year before the announcement basically making the case obsolete...!

I want to spite them for it by refusing to get it or the charging mat, but the possibility to be able to charge phone, watch, and earphones all at once is too tempting.

I wouldn't call it obsolete.

First world problems, if you don't want to pay the money, continue using a lightning cable, like the rest of us peasants, or cough up the money and live in a wireless world....nothing sneaky or obsolete about it.

eeloe wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it obsolete.

First world problems, if you don't want to pay the money, continue using a lightning cable, like the rest of us peasants, or cough up the money and live in a wireless world....nothing sneaky or obsolete about it.

You don't think it's sneaky for a company to announce a "new-and-improved" version of a product less than 12 months after the original one came out? Especially when these sorts of products usually go years without significant redesign/improvement (as distinct from phones, which have a decade-long history of a yearly upgrade cycle)?

It's not about the money, it's about thinking that the company has taken advantage of its customers by releasing and hyping a product when they knew an improved version would be along in a few months time, but that consumers would be unlikely to suspect an imminent upgrade until after their purchase. IMO, that's poor form, and it's not usual from Apple.

Airpods were announced in Sept 2016 but were delayed.
    Its not like they launched a new iphone and then a few months later launched a new iphone again.All they've done is launch an optional case. You don't have to buy it, its not going to change anything on the airpods themselves..all it does it gives you the so-called convenience of wireless charging. Get over yourself and cop on.

Airpods were announced in Sept 2016 but were delayed.
    Its not like they launched a new iphone and then a few months later launched a new iphone again.All they've done is launch an optional case. You don't have to buy it, its not going to change anything on the airpods themselves..all it does it gives you the so-called convenience of wireless charging. Get over yourself and cop on.

Jesus, that's a bit of an intense response for saying I think Apple have handled the timing of these product releases poorly?

This is apparently a very sensitive subject for some people, so I'm going to bow out here.

• Advertisement

Jesus, that's a bit of an intense response for saying I think Apple have handled the timing of these product releases poorly?

This is apparently a very sensitive subject for some people, so I'm going to bow out here.

Sorry didn't mean to come across that way but you seemed to think Apple was screwing customers over by them launching a wireless case for the airpods.
    I don't feel that at all.
    I've no question in saying Apple are gouging customers in relation to iphone and macboook prices especially but for the airpods I'd have to disagree with you. In fact most experts think Apple are underselling the airpods.

Sorry didn't mean to come across that way but you seemed to think Apple was screwing customers over by them launching a wireless case for the airpods.
    I don't feel that at all.
    I've no question in saying Apple are gouging customers in relation to iphone and macboook prices especially but for the airpods I'd have to disagree with you. In fact most experts think Apple are underselling the airpods.

I've no problem with the price, I just think it's cheeky to release the improved version so quickly. With the phones, watches, etc., people know that next year's improved model will be along in twelve months, and so can make an informed decision about whether to buy now or wait.

Things like earphones (along with monitors, mice, keyboards, etc.) usually aren't refreshed anywhere near as quickly, so I think a lot of people will have bought the original Airpods assuming that was going to be the best Apple had to offer for a couple of years. That turned out not to be the case.

It's not the end of the world, or any kind of big deal— the functionality of the original Airpods are as promised, so it's not like they failed to deliver. I love mine, and wouldn't be without them. That said, I still suspect they deliberately capitalized on consumers' erroneous expectation that the original Airpods would be the only product of its kind from Apple for a while, and I personally think that's poor conduct on their part.

well you have to remember they had been working on these since late 2015/early 2016 so wouldn't have planned or had the technology then for wireless charging so had to make do with the current box.
    I know you said they're out less than a year but in reality Apple has been working on them for the past 2 years at least.
    It would have been worse if Apple released the box only with the airpods rather than giving us the choice of upgrading the box if we so desired.
    I think the only reason they did launch the box was to show off their new power mat which will allow you to charge all 3 devices ie phone,watch,airpods case at the same time. Being able to do that will drive sales of that powermat through the roof.

well you have to remember they had been working on these since late 2015/early 2016 so wouldn't have planned or had the technology then for wireless charging so had to make do with the current box.
    I know you said they're out less than a year but in reality Apple has been working on them for the past 2 years at least.
    It would have been worse if Apple released the box only with the airpods rather than giving us the choice of upgrading the box if we so desired.
    I think the only reason they did launch the box was to show off their new power mat which will allow you to charge all 3 devices ie phone,watch,airpods case at the same time. Being able to do that will drive sales of that powermat through the roof.

Wireless charging has been around for ages. Surely they had a good idea what standard they were planning to use, and could have produced a case that would be compatible with it from the get go? They wouldn't have had to mention it at the time, and then when the mat was announced, they could have said it would also work with your existing case? That would have looked way better, IMO.

I think you're probably right that they felt compelled to announce the upgraded case earlier than they'd hoped in order to make the mat more appealing, but why didn't they wait to release the pods until they were able to produce a wireless-capable case? The phone and watch will both be backwards compatible with it, so why not the Airpods? (I'm sure they were working on the series 3 watches and iphone 8s from early 2016, too.) I suspect it's at least in part because people would complain a lot more about the newest phone/watch not being compatible because of their higher price. When it comes to something like the Airpods, though, most Apple customers can eat the cost if they have to— and will, for the convenience. As I said, I probably will, and it irks me a lot.

Maybe it wasn't a calculated decision, but it definitely feels like one to me. YMMV.

they had to announce the airpods as the same time as the iphone 7 due to it losing the 3.5mm port.
    It kinda lessened the blow a bit when they said you lose the port but for another €179 you gain these awesome crappy looking airpods which turned out to be pretty awesome indeed despite people's reservations :)

they had to announce the airpods as the same time as the iphone 7 due to it losing the 3.5mm port.
    It kinda lessened the blow a bit when they said you lose the port but for another €179 you gain these awesome crappy looking airpods which turned out to be pretty awesome indeed despite people's reservations :)

Fair enough, though you can still use the lightning ones. You get them supplied with the phone, right? (I got the Airpods same day as the phone, so I haven't used anything else; I suspect mine are still in the box for "emergencies".)

Funny thing is, I didn't care much about the removal of the phone jack since never used my phone for music before this— I've always used a separate iPod for battery reasons. The airpods + watch control combo was so appealing that I ended up putting some music on the phone for when I'm running, though. They've changed the way I use my phone (and computer) substantially. Like the watch, they're one of those products that I didn't anticipate quickly becoming something I wouldn't do without.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

You don't think it's sneaky for a company to announce a "new-and-improved" version of a product less than 12 months after the original one came out? Especially when these sorts of products usually go years without significant redesign/improvement (as distinct from phones, which have a decade-long history of a yearly upgrade cycle)?

It's not about the money, it's about thinking that the company has taken advantage of its customers by releasing and hyping a product when they knew an improved version would be along in a few months time, but that consumers would be unlikely to suspect an imminent upgrade until after their purchase. IMO, that's poor form, and it's not usual from Apple.

No, not at all, because the air pods themselves haven’t been improved. It’s just a new case.

That’s like saying Microsoft are sneaky for selling the play and charge kit for the Xbox controllers separately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

So recently got €150 voucher for Liffey Valley, so was gonna purchase the airpods.

Anyway been going to the i-connect store in Liffey Vally for the last 10 days (Not every day....maybe every second day!) and they have been sold out of them!! Is there some sort of issue getting stock?

Also,

Just wanted to ask people how they have been finding them, are you happy with the purchase? I can see from the comments above that you are but just wanted to get an updated review! Brother in law loves them and says that they are just really handy.

He wouldn't be active that much so was wondering if anyone had an issue with them while running? I never had a issue with the original headphones when running so don't expect to have them with these.

Thanks in advance,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I love them. I use them on the train, in work for calls and running.

On a call the battery lasts around 90 minutes. They charge up really quickly, probably 15-20 mins for full charge.

For running, they probably work a little better than EarPods because you don't have the chord tugging on them but they don't stay in place for me so I use two little pieces of surgical tape to hold them in place.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, When I was running that was the one thing the I use to hate, was pulling at the cord on either side while trying to stay conscious during a long rung!! I think I might pull the bullet on these. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I only bought a pair a week and a half ago in Argos. Weirdly, they’re sold out in most places but in the two or three Argos stores I checked they had 5+ each. Even Apple has a week wait.

50% of my use was going to be for the gym whilest mainly running. The EarPods never stayed in properly for me, but so far the AirPods are a lot better. While wearing them around walking and even on windy days they don’t fall out. They get a little loose for me sometimes but nothing too bad.

For running, the first time wearing them was fine while the second time the left one just wouldn’t stay put. So a weird one for me but I think my ears might be just a little weird.

I’m glad I got mine, I dismissed them at first last year but after comparing to other true wireless earphones there really wasn’t any comparison, especially using them with Apple products. It’s the first time in a while I tried something new and felt that magic ease of use feeling. I can see now why they get such great reviews.

Sound quality is just average, but strangely better than EarPods. Maybe because of a more secure fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Airpods are great and I wouldn’t be without them. I also picked up these which fit perfectly:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076W7K7L7/ref=twister_B01MYBF0NR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They're unreal.

If someone was to take them from me they'd have to pry them out of my cold, dead ears.

Dades wrote: »
    They're unreal.

If someone was to take them from me they'd have to pry them out of my cold, dead ears.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Yeah got a pair in December and I love them, they're great. Wish I'd sprung for them earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Dades wrote: »
    They're unreal.

this

i thought they were a gimmick but they arent

Hi,

So update,

I didn't realise I could use Liffey Valley vouchers in Argos, found out i could so ended up getting yesterday. So far well impress with the sound. Way more bass than I was expecting.

They feel secure in the ear but they also feel weird in the ear, maybe I just need to get use to them.

Any tips and tricks?

Like the way it splits earphone battery when only using one (when in work).

Thanks again for all the reviews. So far i'm please with my purchase.

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

So update,

I didn't realise I could use Liffey Valley vouchers in Argos, found out i could so ended up getting yesterday. So far well impress with the sound. Way more bass than I was expecting.

They feel secure in the ear but they also feel weird in the ear, maybe I just need to get use to them.

Any tips and tricks?

Like the way it splits earphone battery when only using one (when in work).

Thanks again for all the reviews. So far i'm please with my purchase.

BobbyT28

One tip is to make sure you customise the controls on each ear to do skip track and play/pause etc.

quarryman wrote: »
    One tip is to make sure you customise the controls on each ear to do skip track and play/pause etc.

Yep, that's one of the first things I did! 👍:D

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Didn't even know I could do that :o

Advertisement