Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirPods Updated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Airpods are great and I wouldn’t be without them. I also picked up these which fit perfectly:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076W7K7L7/ref=twister_B01MYBF0NR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Is that not just a case for a case? The AirPods case does the job of keeping the AirPods safe does it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

quarryman wrote: »
    Is that not just a case for a case? The AirPods case does the job of keeping the AirPods safe does it not?

The supplied case is great but it does get micro scratched to feck. I don’t really care about them but I’d see why people would.

I can see why a silicone case product exists for the case though.

I cant wait for the updated Qi case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I cant wait for the updated Qi case.

It will be perfect in the future combined to wireless charging phones and watches. But I assume they're going to rape us with the price and change €60+ for it :-/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The supplied case is great but it does get micro scratched to feck. I don’t really care about them but I’d see why people would.
    I draw the line at a case for a case!

I don't see AirPods as something you're going to want to shift second-hand at any point, so scuffs on a container are a non-issue.

How much would you pay for set of pods that have spent a year in some stranger's ears? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dades wrote: »
    I draw the line at a case for a case!

I don't see AirPods as something you're going to want to shift second-hand at any point, so scuffs on a container are a non-issue.

How much would you pay for set of pods that have spent a year in some stranger's ears? :pac:

selling off a product isn't the only reason for trying to keep a product pristine. My original iPhone on my Apple shelf will attest to that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

lots of talk again of a new launch early 2019.....could be some interesting health features ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ErRomm

I don't know!

lots of talk again of a new launch early 2019.....could be some interesting health features ...

I might have missed the latest, but don’t the rumours say wireless charging case only for 2019, and actual new model in 2020.

Health features in earphones? I'm intrigued!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm guessing temperature monitor and of course a couple of extra ECG points won't hurt.

• Advertisement

Never heard about getting ECG readings from your ears. Interesting.

as was I! hence wanted to see what other people had found. I read an article somewhere that they wanted another point for heart rate monitor, for more reliable data.

Though one thing I am starting to wonder. What are they doing with all this data they are collecting. Its great me being able to see all my data, but I dont believe for a second all this health data is being used for something else :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’ve read three seperate rumour for the AirPods now.
    First, a small update with a wireless charging supported case and hey-Siri support.
    Then with that same one, a bigger update further down the line with premium sound and a higher price.
    And now this one, with a focus on health features and sensors.

I’d say the first one will be here very soon, but the rest is really down to speculation.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I’ve read three seperate rumour for the AirPods now.
    First, a small update with a wireless charging supported case and hey-Siri support.
    Then with that same one, a bigger update further down the line with premium sound and a higher price.
    And now this one, with a focus on health features and sensors.

I’d say the first one will be here very soon, but the rest is really down to speculation.

yeah that sounds about right. also to add to the list, i read they wanted to include noise cancelling and waterproof them so you could swim with them(this one does'nt really make sense to me)

It's testament to the original AirPods that two years since they were released Apple still haven't updated them, and indeed people are struggling to find features to improve them.

They are certainly one of the best products I've ever owned.

It's testament to the original AirPods that two years since they were released Apple still haven't updated them, and indeed people are struggling to find features to improve them.

They are certainly one of the best products I've ever owned.

To me they are both one of the best designed products I’ve had and one of the most frustrating ones.

Apple absolutely nailed the ergonomics, ease of use, realibilty, and battery life for the small form factor and light weight. No question about that and to date no other company has released any wireless earphones which are nearly as good from those standpoints. Very impressive for a first generation product.

But what’s frustrating to me is that all these amazing things are paired with low/mid range audio quality and no noise isolation whatsoever. This makes the AirPods unusable to me in a lot of situations. For exemple i walk to work through fairly noisy streets, and I simply don’t enjoy listening to music with them in that situation and while doable, listing to podcasts is not nearly as confortartable as with my pair of Bose QC30. So while I find the Apple ones to be a much better engineered product, in practice the ones I grad every morning when I leave home are the Bose.

If Apple could deliver significantly upgraded audio quality and some type of (ideally adjustable) noise isolation/cancellation while keeping everything else mostly identical, I’d be willing to pay decent money for that new device. But I’m not sure that’s where they want to go ...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

are the earpieces in these comparable in size to the original wired earphones sold with say iPhone 6-are they larger in the ear?

Bob24 wrote: »
    If Apple could deliver significantly upgraded audio quality and some type of (ideally adjustable) noise isolation/cancellation while keeping everything else mostly identical, I’d be willing to pay decent money for that new device. But I’m not sure that’s where they want to go ...
    "Adjustable" is the key word here. I wouldn't want noise cancellation at all and if I had to have it I'd look elsewhere. And I'd say you're right, I don't think Apple are going there.
    pjproby wrote: »
    are the earpieces in these comparable in size to the original wired earphones sold with say iPhone 6-are they larger in the ear?
    Other than a slightly thicker stem on the AirPods, they are virtually indistinguishable in size and form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I found them a slightly better fit than the standard wired Apple earphones which never stay in my ears.

I only borrowed my nieces AirPods for a few minutes and jumped around, banged my head and basically looked like an idiot for 5 minutes but they didn’t budge. Whereas if I just take a leisurely walk in the earphones, they don’t stay in at all.

It was only a 5 minute or so test but that’s my limited experience with the AirPods.

On the earbuds size, it’s worth mentioning that while it’s pretty much identical, the lack of wires hanging below them makes a huge difference in terms of getting a steady fit in the ears. So someone shouldn’t come to the conclusion that because they couldn’t get a good fit with the EarPods and the size is the same, it means they won’t get a good fit with the AirPod.

My personal experience is that EarPods could fall off my ears while walking quietly, whereas I am 100% confident going for a run with the AirPods and not afraid in the slightest they might fall off. So for me the difference in fit is really night and day.

• Advertisement

"Adjustable" is the key word here. I wouldn't want noise cancellation at all and if I had to have it I'd look elsewhere. And I'd say you're right, I don't think Apple are going there.

Yes I understand that to some people noise isolation can be a drawback (and actually for most people they need it in some cases and not in others which is why adjustable would be great).

But having said that I think it is a big gap for Apple not to address people who need isolation. Pretty much anyone using earphones for commuting or on the go would benefit from some level of isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

i used my AirPods on a daily basis and find them fantastic .. they are just always in my pocket and that is probably the best feature - they are always there when you need them and the battery life is fantastic. I do have my big noise cancelling bose for when I need them .. but they compliment each other !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

the lack of wires hanging below them makes a huge difference in terms of getting a steady fit in the ears

That makes sense now that you mention it. I was wondering how there was such a difference in my limited test despite them looking the same size.

That makes sense now that you mention it. I was wondering how there was such a difference in my limited test despite them looking the same size.

Yes I saw you post after I submitted mine, interesting to see we had pretty much the same think to say at the same time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

.... i walk to work through fairly noisy streets, and I simply don’t enjoy listening to music with them in that situation and while doable, listing to podcasts is not nearly as confortartable as with my pair of Bose QC30. So while I find the Apple ones to be a much better engineered product, in practice the ones I grad every morning when I leave home are the Bose.

I have kinda the opposite experience. I have the Bose QC35 and Sennheiser momentum wireless headphones and obviously they are much better sound quality, yet they are just lying at home except if I go on an airplane.
    On the other hand, the apple ones are like the keys of the car, always with me.
    I guess fit/comfort depends on your ears, but mine have never fallen out and I have sometimes forgotten that I left one in. I think Apple absolutely nailed it.

I have kinda the opposite experience. I have the Bose QC35 and Sennheiser momentum wireless headphones and obviously they are much better sound quality, yet they are just lying at home except if I go on an airplane.
    On the other hand, the apple ones are like the keys of the car, always with me.
    I guess fit/comfort depends on your ears, but mine have never fallen out and I have sometimes forgotten that I left one in. I think Apple absolutely nailed it.

Yes I have a pair of QC25 which are a similar form factor to the ones you mention and I wouldn’t take those either. Those days I mostly just use them for long flights with perfect comfort and decent noise cancelling but I find them too large for walking down the street, hence why I’m using the smaller QC30 as my daily go to pair instead.

What type of environment do you use the AirPods in? I walk through the city in the morning/evening and the AirPod definitely don’t shine. Listening to podcasts or busy music is okish but requires fairly high volume to cover background noise which I don’t like, and more quiet music with subtle details, breaks, and more dynamic range is badly parasited even at higher volumes.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The AirPods are ok. Mine don't stay in that well when walking.

I use my Bose QC25s instead of them almost every day since they blow them out of the water, I use the AirPods when I'm going somewhere and need my headphones to just fit into my pocket. On the Luas etc. It's ok, but background noise is an issue because they don't seal well in the ear and the lack of noise cancellation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

awec wrote: »
    The AirPods are ok. Mine don't stay in that well when walking.

I use my Bose QC25s instead of them almost every day since they blow them out of the water, I use the AirPods when I'm going somewhere and need my headphones to just fit into my pocket. On the Luas etc. It's ok, but background noise is an issue because they don't seal well in the ear and the lack of noise cancellation.
    I use mine in the gym all the time and never once have they fallen out. Odd that you have issues even when walking.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

100% the best apple product ever.

If I lost them, i’d beg borrow or steal to get another pair if I couldn’t afford them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Keano wrote: »
    I use mine in the gym all the time and never once have they fallen out. Odd that you have issues even when walking.

Same with me, wouldn’t stay in at all. Gutted, but had to return them. I got a pair of Jabra Sport Elite and they are brilliant.

Advertisement