Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirPods Updated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dades wrote: »
    Black AirPods? That would surprise me.

Mine still going strong after 18 months.
    No reason to think about an upgrade.

Yes, according to EverythingApplePro on You Tube the black ones are happening.

Will offer better sound apparently and maybe some health features.

Case will have wireless charging too but also avail separately for those using current airpods.

Don't think I'll be upgrading myself, only got them last October, but I also swore I'd wouldn't buy them when they first came out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Black AirPods? That would surprise me.

Mine still going strong after 18 months.
    No reason to think about an upgrade.

Be interesting to see what they add to make us what to update?

I use mine a LOT, couple of hours a day at least, and they are perfect.

I have a feeling newer version are going to have to offer a lot more features to get us to upgrade.

I'm interested to see them in black, and also interested to see this new, grippier coating to help them stay in more peoples ears?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Hard to imagine that they'd only release a black version, unless the coating is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

eeloe wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what they add to make us what to update?

I use mine a LOT, couple of hours a day at least, and they are perfect.

I have a feeling newer version are going to have to offer a lot more features to get us to upgrade.

I'm interested to see them in black, and also interested to see this new, grippier coating to help them stay in more peoples ears?

I wouldn't call them perfect. They can always be better.

Better sound, noise cancellation, volume controls, better grip are things I would like to see for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

murpho999 wrote: »

Better sound, noise cancellation, volume controls, better grip are things I would like to see for starters.

Yeah, I’d like more options for the double tap (jump 15 or 30 seconds in podcasts, volume etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Guaranteed more expensive as well. Apparently the AirPods are being sold at barely cost price.
    Most analysts /reviewers say they’re underpriced a great deal.
    I’d expect the new set to be at the very least €50 cheaper and more likely closer to the €300 mark.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nobody is going to pay 300 quid for a pair of Apple earbuds. I think Apple will have learnt their lesson recently when it comes to overpricing stuff and thinking the Apple brand will be enough to sell them. They will have to be pretty much the same price as the current ones.

The best thing Apple can do is make them fit better for more people. Maybe that means a less slippy coating, or a slightly different shape.

They are in-ear buds, Apple produced, so any talk of "better sound quality" is just snake oil salesman talk. Noise-cancelling is a waste of time on these sort of buds that don't really seal your ear, it'll just be something to kill the battery faster. Wireless charging would be nice and it seems like that's coming.

Volume control would be nice, but difficult to see how it would work in practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

awec wrote: »
    Volume control would be nice, but difficult to see how it would work in practice.

Single tap on left ear bud = volume up a notch, single tap on right ear bud, volume down a notch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Single tap on left ear bud = volume up a notch, single tap on right ear bud, volume down a notch?

Wouldn’t really work I think ... it would be impossible for the bud to know if someone is tapping twice because they want to increase the volume by two notches or because they want to invoke Siri. Unless you require a long wait between the 2 volume increase single taps to clearly differenciate them from a double tap, but then adjusting the volume by more then just one notch would be completely impractical.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t really work I think ... it would be impossible for the bud to know if someone is tapping twice because they want to increase the volume by two notches or because they want to invoke Siri. Unless you require a long wait between the 2 volume increase single taps to clearly différenciante them, but they adjusting the volume by more then just one notch would be completely impractical.
    Yep.

And tap and hold won't work because how does it differentiate between you wanting volume up/down or you being in the process of taking them out of your ears.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Yep.

And tap and hold won't work because how does it differentiate between you wanting volume up/down or you being in the process of taking them out of your ears.

Just built in a strip sensor so slide your hand down it to lower and slide up to increase. Jabra use this on their office mic systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Bit the bullet and ordered a pair last night.. won't arrive until Monday fortnight, they must be making to order at this stage! :D

Anyway, you can be sure Apple will release new ones now that I have ordered these... that's how things go... kind of like lighting a smoke at the busstop, once lit the bus comes around the corner! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Bit the bullet and ordered a pair last night.. won't arrive until Monday fortnight, they must be making to order at this stage! :D

Anyway, you can be sure Apple will release new ones now that I have ordered these... that's how things go... kind of like lighting a smoke at the busstop, once lit the bus comes around the corner! haha

Great - so Tuesday fortnight = AirPods 2! :D

iniall wrote: »

For half the price, with better sound quality, wireless charging, and health tracking functionality? ;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And FM radio! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Just Curious how you all clean them, what have you found best to use? My right AirPod has lost a lot of the sound and I’m hoping it’s just something related to cleaning them that will solve my issue.

iniall wrote: »
    For half the price, with better sound quality, wireless charging, and health tracking functionality? ;-)
    And FM radio! :p

Lads, ALL of this WILL happen now :cool:

tony1980 wrote: »
    Just Curious how you all clean them, what have you found best to use? My right AirPod has lost a lot of the sound and I’m hoping it’s just something related to cleaning them that will solve my issue.

Clean them with a cotton bud.
    I do clean my ears every day though. I’m more aware of ear wax since I got airbuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

few reports this morning that air pods 2 will be announced on the 25th of this month

https://www.pocket-lint.com/headphones/news/apple/147311-it-looks-like-we-have-an-airpods-2-release-date

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They could give you brain cancer now.

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a26809302/scientists-warn-wireless-headphones-could-cause-cancer/

Still won't be giving them up.

• Advertisement

Fresh from Apple's press room.... I KNEW I should have waited.....

The new AirPods come with either the standard charging case or the new Wireless Charging Case. Each case holds additional charges for more than 24 hours of total listening time, ensuring AirPods are charged and ready to go whenever you are. The Wireless Charging Case is designed to offer the freedom of wireless charging with Qi-compatible charging solutions. An LED light indicator located on the front of the case conveniently shows the charge status with just a glance. Existing AirPods customers can purchase the standalone Wireless Charging Case.

AirPods with Wireless Charging Case will be available for €229 and are available to order on apple.com and the Apple Store app starting today, and in Apple Stores starting next week.

Sooooo it's only an updated case!! I don't feel so duped :)

The promo material makes them seem a bit lacklustre to me though :-/

Slightly improved talk time, hey Siri without having to tap on them, and slightly improved Bluetooth connection time. Absolutely nothing making me want to upgrade.

Wireless charging is nice but the optional case is compatible with the first generation.

Sooooo it's only an updated case!! I don't feel so duped :)

Plus a few other minor updates, but honestly nothing major (I actually suspect this is a stopgap 1.1 generation product and the real second gen will be coming sooner rather than later as competition is building up strongly in terms of true wireless earphones).

Also the case is an extra (fairly high) cost and compatible with the first generation, so nothing to regret about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

better sound and black needed for me to buy

Also the case is an extra (fairly high) cost and compatible with the first generation, so nothing to regret about it.

Yeah, that's true! I know me... they should really do something with the case, a little Apple logo or something... I have mistaken it for tooth floss a couple of times now! :D

Yeah, that's true! I know me... they should really do something with the case, a little Apple logo or something... I have mistaken it for tooth floss a couple of times now! :D

I actually like the small and subdue case :-)

Just wish it was USB-C and Qi compatible on the base model, but I guess that’s too much to ask for now.

I think while the still have a lead in terms of Bluetooth connectivity and size/battery life ratio, Apple are taking a bit too easy with this update. There is a lot more competition now and many more options coming in the coming years.

Nowadays for the same price as AirPods I think I would rather be tempted by the RHA TrueConnect which while a bit larger have said molar battery life and better isolation and sound quality. I’m actually likely to be buying the RHAs or Sennheiser’s Momentum true wireless shortly.

I wish there was a way to ping your airpods (like you can ping your phone from your watch even if its on silent), since I have lost mine in the house somewhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finding a lost Airpod under the couch *must* be one problem Apple engineers have on their list to solve.

It's a real-world issue that all users have experience with.

You’re supposed to be able to get them to make some noise with the Find My iPhone App. But just gave it a try and it doesn’t work for me. It does list them in the App and the App says a sound is being played on them when I ask for it, but I can’t hear anything.

• Advertisement

I actually like the small and subdue case :-)
    rs.

Nowadays for the same price as AirPods I think I would rather be tempted by the RHA TrueConnect which while a bit larger have said molar battery life and better isolation and sound quality. I’m actually likely to be buying the RHAs or Sennheiser’s Momentum true wireless shortly.

They're a bit chunky for my likings! I guess it all depends what you want them for.. Mine are for out and about and exercising... When I travel/want isolation I have my Bose wireless.
    You’re supposed to be able to get them to make some noise with the Find My iPhone App. But just gave it a try and it doesn’t work for me. It does list them in the App and the App says a sound is being played on them when I ask for it, but I can’t hear anything.

I just tested that.... it's actually loud enough to hear from under the couch (i just tried it :) ). It sounds like a chirp and gets louder and louder.. it's almost impossible to hear if they're in the case.

Advertisement