Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirPods Updated?

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They aren't listed under my find my iphone. :(

Mine are in the case too, lost the whole lot somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

awec wrote: »
    They aren't listed under my find my iphone. :(

Mine are in the case too, lost the whole lot somewhere.

Behind the cushions on the couch! - On serious note, I just opened my "find my iPhone" and tried to get them to play a sound... no dice.. as they have been offline for 11 minutes..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

They're a bit chunky for my likings! I guess it all depends what you want them for.. Mine are for out and about and exercising... When I travel/want isolation I have my Bose wireless.

Maybe the problem is that my Bose QC30s died on me recently so I have to rely on the AirPods too much :-)

For me AirPods are very nice as a secondary pair of earphones to use at home, while exercising, for podcasts/videos, and to take calls. But isolation and audio quality are problematic to fully enjoy music and to use them on busy streets or public transport, so I need something else to cover these things.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bob24 wrote: »
    Maybe the problem is that my Bose QC30s died on me recently so I have to rely on the AirPods too much :-)

For me AirPods are very nice as a secondary pair of earphones to use at home, while exercising, for podcasts/videos, and to take calls. But isolation and audio quality are problematic to fully enjoy music and to use them on busy streets or public transport, so I need something else to cover these things.

I just use mine when I am going somewhere and need to stick my headphones in my pocket when I get there.

Otherwise, I use my Bose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Bit the bullet and ordered a pair last night.. won't arrive until Monday fortnight, they must be making to order at this stage! :D

Anyway, you can be sure Apple will release new ones now that I have ordered these... that's how things go... kind of like lighting a smoke at the busstop, once lit the bus comes around the corner! haha

This is too funny-when I saw the spike in apple stock today, I was wondering what the news was, then thought of 'IamMetaldave' when I found out :D gas!!!! you still have a window to return them though-get on it ASAP....

• Advertisement

This is too funny-when I saw the spike in apple stock today, I was wondering what the news was, then thought of 'IamMetaldave' when I found out :D gas!!!! you still have a window to return them though-get on it ASAP....

Ah man, didn’t I say so?? :D To be honest, I’m too lazy. I ended up getting them by chance in Harvey Norman and cancelling my Apple ordered ones... and like Bob24 said, it’s not a huge upgrade, more like a 1.1 version..

I totally agree with their uses.. but I wouldn’t be bringing my Bose out unless I have my work bag or something to put them safely away in! I’m also a bit dubious of wearing them around as I’ve seen little knackers that rob phones from peoples hands and cycle off I’m amazed they haven’t started taking wireless headphones off peoples heads! Also, sorry to hear about your QC30s! Greta phones.

I totally agree with their uses.. but I wouldn’t be bringing my Bose out unless I have my work bag or something to put them safely away in! I’m also a bit dubious of wearing them around as I’ve seen little knackers that rob phones from peoples hands and cycle off I’m amazed they haven’t started taking wireless headphones off peoples heads! Also, sorry to hear about your QC30s! Greta phones.

To be fair on the QC30s, at least they started to exhibit issues just before the 2 years warranty expired, so at I got some credit with Amazon to get something else (hence me looking at the RHAs and Sennheisers :-)). But I liked them, I think the combination of open design in ears and good noise cancelling was a good idea as you can get a better soundstage than typical in ears and better long term confort as they don't go deep into the ears - plus it makes it fairly easy to control how much outside noise you are letting in; it would be nice if they could do it with a true wireless model.

And yes this is where I find the gap is between the AirPods and full size Bose/Sony noise cancellers (I also have a pair of QC25s ... too many of those things!). These headphones are nice to use at home and on the plane/train, but not something I fancy using when walking down the street or on the bus (for the reasons you mentioned ... a bit too big/obvious looking, and can't exactly fit in a pocket so you need to have a bag with you whenever you take them out; and since we are in Ireland I would add they are not great if it's raining either as they won't fit under a hood). I think soon enough bluetooth earphones done well could cover these uses on top of what the AirPods already does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

awec wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to ping your airpods (like you can ping your phone from your watch even if its on silent), since I have lost mine in the house somewhere.

hey I've lost bloody 2 pairs in the house now. Its beyond a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I haven't managed to misplace my AirPods apart from once on a transatlantic flight where I fell asleep - rolled over and one fell out .. by the time I realised it was missing I hadn't a clue where it was - eventually found it in the rail underneath the seat and took a bit of fiddling to get it back.

They are still very much my everyday headphone as they are just always in my pocket and are so handy for taking calls or having a quick listen to something on the phone.

I've recently gotten a pair of the Microsoft headphones - jury is still out - noice cancelling is good and they are comfortable - but I am not sure they are worth the same money as a bose equiv.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You’re supposed to be able to get them to make some noise with the Find My iPhone App. But just gave it a try and it doesn’t work for me. It does list them in the App and the App says a sound is being played on them when I ask for it, but I can’t hear anything.
    Just tried it there and got it to work. Good spot - never knew that existed. Though the chances of hearing it in anything but an empty room in an empty house are pretty slim.

What's really needed is some sort of bluetooth compass thing with your phone doing the equivalent of shouting GETTING WARMER... GETTING COLDER..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The AirPod noise has saved me a few times... twice from going in the wash wrapped up in bedsheets, and once it fell into a plane seat wedged in awkward spot.

Doesn’t work when they are in case, but that’s not what it’s for.

I ordered a set, looking forward to them now-anyone got a link to a good 'tether' to keep them around ypour neck when not in your ears.

Dades wrote: »
    What's really needed is some sort of bluetooth compass thing with your phone doing the equivalent of shouting GETTING WARMER... GETTING COLDER..!

This just made me laugh out loud!! haha I can imagine the number of iPhones bounced off walls from frustration would be epic!! haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Few reports that a fully wireless powerbeats product will be launched next month

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/22/18277575/apple-beats-powerbeats-truly-wireless-earbuds-april

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Any airpods gen 1 offers? I rang Combu b and they're retailing the gen 1 air pods for 179€.

Any airpods gen 1 offers? I rang Combu b and they're retailing the gen 1 air pods for 179€.

Isn’t that the price of the gen 2 AirPods?

That is the price of gen 2. I asked how much the gen 2 is and she said 229€ which is the price of the wireless setup when looking at the apple store.

Harvey Norman has gen 1s on their website for 175€ so shops appear to be slow to reduce the prices on gen 1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

That is the price of gen 2. I asked how much the gen 2 is and she said 229€ which is the price of the wireless setup when looking at the apple store.

Harvey Norman has gen 1s on their website for 175€ so shops appear to be slow to reduce the prices on gen 1s.

Just ordered a set of Gen 2 AirPods now from Littlewoods.
    €10 cheaper than the Apple Store and every little helps :D:)
    Delivery by 02 Apr which is also a week earlier than Apple

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Just ordered a set of Gen 2 AirPods now from Littlewoods.
    €10 cheaper than the Apple Store and every little helps :D:)
    Delivery by 02 Apr which is also a week earlier than Apple

They only seem to have the wireless charging version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

They only seem to have the wireless charging version.

Sorry, I should have stated that was the ones I was after, I know its a bit of a premium but to buy the wireless charging case at a later date will cost something like €70 or maybe more so buying them this way will work out cheaper I hope.

I got the airpods today, I had been holding off for these and have had 3 other sets of bLE in the region of €40, the airpods are definitely better quality, they seem really solid, and the sound comes really clear and full. I'm very happy with them. As regards the link above, about batteries dying, practically all products have a limited lifespan, like my de walt drill, but that's the price you pay to have wireless. I think to say that they will only last two years is silly, these guys probably use them for 4 hours or more every day, I may use mine for 8 hours a week, so mine would last 3-4 times longer.

I’d wait for more to confirm, but this review says audio quality has improved on the new version: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/03/26/review-apples-airpods-2-are-a-first-class-update-to-an-already-superb-product

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’d wait for more to confirm, but this review says audio quality has improved on the new version: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/03/26/review-apples-airpods-2-are-a-first-class-update-to-an-already-superb-product
    I watched the MKBHD video on YouTube and he mentioned he asked Apple and they specifically said the sound is exactly the same.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I watched the MKBHD video on YouTube and he mentioned he asked Apple and they specifically said the sound is exactly the same.

That was my impression as well, but multiple sources are now reporting improved sound. Strange ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

That was my impression as well, but multiple sources are now reporting improved sound. Strange ...
    Maybe comparing them to older, more worn in AirPods produces a different sound profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Seems they were built in September last year but never launched. Presumably because of the Airpower delay

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Davy wrote: »
    Seems they were built in September last year but never launched. Presumably because of the Airpower delay

Confirmed:> https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/29/apple-cancels-airpower-product-citing-inability-to-meet-its-high-standards-for-hardware

“After much effort, we’ve concluded AirPower will not achieve our high standards and we have cancelled the project. We apologize to those customers who were looking forward to this launch. We continue to believe that the future is wireless and are committed to push the wireless experience forward,” said Dan Riccio, Apple’s senior vice president of Hardware Engineering in an emailed statement today.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Cerco wrote: »

I lost my year old left pod and got a replacement......The difference between both in terms of both battery life & volume is chalk and cheese....I couldn’t get over how much the original had deteriorated.....still love em though & would recommend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Davy wrote: »

balls..I was looking forward to that mat.
    Will have to get the Nomad one now which can charge both phone and airpods with the watch charger plugged into its usb port.

https://hellonomad.com/products/base-station-apple-watch

Advertisement