Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirPods Updated?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

2 new models (airpod 3 )to come out at the end of the year

Apple is reportedly set to release its third-generation AirPods for sales by the end of 2019, with the new wireless earphones to incorporate a noise cancellation function. And Taiwan's Inventec reportedly will be the major assembler of AirPods 3, while China's Luxshare Precision will also grab part of the orders for the new device, according to industry sources.
    https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190424PD208.html

https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/24/kuo-all-new-airpods-2019-two-models/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

peteeeed wrote: »
    2 new models (airpod 3 )to come out at the end of the year

Apple is reportedly set to release its third-generation AirPods for sales by the end of 2019, with the new wireless earphones to incorporate a noise cancellation function. And Taiwan's Inventec reportedly will be the major assembler of AirPods 3, while China's Luxshare Precision will also grab part of the orders for the new device, according to industry sources.
    https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190424PD208.html

https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/24/kuo-all-new-airpods-2019-two-models/

Plausible, but would not very nice for current purchasers to replace they new model within a couple of months (reminds me of that iPad 3!!!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bob24 wrote: »
    Plausible, but would not very nice for current purchasers to replace they new model within a couple of months (reminds me of that iPad 3!!!)
    I still have my iPad 3!

I wonder would the noise cancellation feature would be one you could turn on/off. Would be a deal breaker for me.

Can't imagine it would be that effective anyway without the Airpods stuffed into your earhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dades wrote: »
    I still have my iPad 3!

I wonder would the noise cancellation feature would be one you could turn on/off. Would be a deal breaker for me.

Can't imagine it would be that effective anyway without the Airpods stuffed into your earhole.

Would have to be a redesign. There’s no way the existing version would support noise cancelling.

Dades wrote: »

I’d say it has to be on demand given how they want people to use AirPods (calls, Siri, etc wouldn’t feel as natural with permanent isolation).

They could go for a loose earbud design which is not too intrusive and not that isolating, but makes noise cancelling more efficient (something like the Bose QC30).

And then maybe through in a bit of reverse cancellation when ANC is disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I can’t imagine they’d put out to versions in such a close period of time, I don’t recall them ever doing it before, have they..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Given that the 'new' version of the AirPods (which I bought) were ready to go in 2018, only to be held up by the AirPower mess, it wouldn't be unimaginable that the product cycle was originally intended to cover a further AirPods release late 2019.

brophs wrote: »
    Given that the 'new' version of the AirPods (which I bought) were ready to go in 2018, only to be held up by the AirPower mess, it wouldn't be unimaginable that the product cycle was originally intended to cover a further AirPods release late 2019.

Very good point!

Yes I think that’s what it is. If I am not mistaken, the wireless charging case was even showcased as part of the AirPower presentation in 2017.

Found this on 9to5Mac Bob, you were right that they had the case on the displayed picture at the showcase, however it looks like it's the none wireless case, the indicator light isn't on the front of the case.. unless it was an old version of the wireless case they had.

• Advertisement

Found this on 9to5Mac Bob, you were right that they had the case on the displayed picture at the showcase, however it looks like it's the none wireless case, the indicator light isn't on the front of the case.. unless it was an old version of the wireless case they had.

Actually the light is there, but the pictures make it hard to see. If you zoom on the case from the pictures or Phil Schiller showing a slide with the AirPower and the iPhone, Apple Watch, and charging case on it, you’ll see a dim green light.

And there also is a picture showing the animation which should have been shown on the iPhone screen when the wireless charging case is placed on AirPower (bottom left picture).

Bob24 wrote: »
    Actually the light is there, but the pictures make it hard to see. If you zoom on the case from the pictures with Phil Schiller at the bottom you’ll see a dim green light.

Hawkeye!!! Fairplay!!! So it would seem they have had them knocking around a while.

As far as the price goes, 3 tiers of Airpod pricing? Although, gen 1 would almost certainly be dropped at that stage.. but then driving entry price up for new buyers. I'm not sure I would have paid more than the entry price to be honest, even with the wireless charging after thinking about it, I don't think the premium is worth it. Particularly now that I have used them for a couple of months and have never pushed to the point of zeroing the battery in the pods and the case, so the extra battery is a nil point for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Can anyone with the Airpods 2 tell me what version of firmware their airpods have? You open the case beside the phone, go to Settings > General > About > Airpods. The latest version seems to be 6.3.2 but mine shows 1A673 as the firmware version, oddly enough.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Can anyone with the Airpods 2 tell me what version of firmware their airpods have? You open the case beside the phone, go to Settings > General > About > Airpods. The latest version seems to be 6.3.2 but mine shows 1A673 as the firmware version, oddly enough.

Cheers.

My AirPods are Gen 2 and the Model No is A2031 with Firmware Version 1A673, Hardware Version 1.0.0. Cheers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

PaulT21 wrote: »
    My AirPods are Gen 2 and the Model No is A2031 with Firmware Version 1A673, Hardware Version 1.0.0. Cheers:D

Just for info, have a look at this article. Seems the firmware you mention is for the Gen 1 AirPods.
    https://www.imore.com/how-update-firmware-your-airpods

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

removed as its OT

Advertisement