Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Joinery - Exploding glass

Options
  • 23-11-2017 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi all,

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with an internal pane of glass spontaneously exploding ? Luckily our kids, were in the next room and no one hurt, but we put a lot of these really large panes and sliding doors into an extension and are now worried more will go.

Attitude of their customer service was fairly disgusting.. no concern, apology and I have to pay 70 euro for a guy to come to give me a quote !!

They admitted at the start of the conversation they are aware of this problem happening before, but couldn't be arsed trying to help people affected or cover the cost of their own product just failing.

Can't see how we should have to pay for a defective window , that could potentially injure us.. so have a feeling our solicitor will be getting involved.

Any advice whether practical or technical would be great appreciated !

thanks
    N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Tefral

How long is the window in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nmcphoto

Tefral wrote: »
    How long is the window in?

installed in 2009.. so 8 years. They told me they have a warranty on them. When I asked he said ' 3 Days ' .. 3 days !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Tefral

When you say pane, if it was double or triple glazed did all the panels break in the unit? If it did then, is there signs of movement around the window? Hairline cracks in around the lintel or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

nmcphoto wrote: »
    hi all,

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with an internal pane of glass spontaneously exploding ? Luckily our kids, were in the next room and no one hurt, but we put a lot of these really large panes and sliding doors into an extension and are now worried more will go.

Attitude of their customer service was fairly disgusting.. no concern, apology and I have to pay 70 euro for a guy to come to give me a quote !!

They admitted at the start of the conversation they are aware of this problem happening before, but couldn't be arsed trying to help people affected or cover the cost of their own product just failing.

Can't see how we should have to pay for a defective window , that could potentially injure us.. so have a feeling our solicitor will be getting involved.

Any advice whether practical or technical would be great appreciated !

thanks
    N

Did it break into little cubes or did it split into shards? If cubes it is most likely its nickel sulfide inclusion in the glass and the panel was toughened, Google nickel sulfide inclusion, i'm sure there are threads here on the same topic too.

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Did it break into little cubes or did it split into shards? If cubes it is most likely its nickel sulfide inclusion in the glass and the panel was toughened, Google nickel sulfide inclusion, i'm sure there are threads here on the same topic too.

Thanks !.. yes it was little cubes.. so that seems to be the cause. The same happened with a Velux window a few years ago. They sent someone out the next day, repaired , cleaned up and apologised !!!

• Advertisement

Tefral wrote: »
    When you say pane, if it was double or triple glazed did all the panels break in the unit? If it did then, is there signs of movement around the window? Hairline cracks in around the lintel or anything?

It's a double glazed unit and just the inside one shattered. It's an AluClud steel door that closed. No one going in or out in days !

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

nmcphoto wrote: »
    Thanks !.. yes it was little cubes.. so that seems to be the cause. The same happened with a Velux window a few years ago. They sent someone out the next day, repaired , cleaned up and apologised !!!

Thats a different situation, all rooflights to the best of my knowledge by regulation would need the inner pane to be a laminate to prevent glass falling on anyone, therefore Velux would not have a case to fight it there as their unit would not have been fit for purpose.

You mentioned in another post that the glass was in a door and the door closed. If the glass broke when the door banged it may mean that the glass was not of a sufficient thickness to withstand the door closing, ie not fit for purpose, in this instance you may have a case. If nickel sulfide inclusion you will have to bear the cost of it yourself as they would have been within the regulation at the time to the best of my knowledge. Hope this helps

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Please read the charter. As companies names are mentioned the thread has to be closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement