Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera as a present and a I haven't a clue.

• 23-11-2017 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Well as the title says, Im looking for a camera for a christmas present for my OH, I haven't a clue about cameras so I need advice.

Basically he's been on about a compact camera, he has a drone and wants to be able to take shots with the camera to use as stills in the videos he makes with the drone (Phantom 4). Its not for anything professional just as his own hobby, a decent enough run of the mill camera that can take pics and a video or two, also with wi-fi.

I haven't been able to quiz him too much as it would be a give-away as to what Im at, but he's mentioned that both Sony and Canon have similar type cameras.

Here's one I was looking at on Amazon, it would be around my price range, can anybody give me advice on this camera or suggest one like it.

http://www.very.co.uk/sony-ilce5000lw-compact-system-camera-with-sel-1650-zoom-lensnbsp--white/1600143869.prd

Sorry for my complete lack of knowledge but Id rather ask the experts than buy something I haven't a clue about

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my usual advice here - buy a voucher, rather than making choice for him. or else buy the camera in a bricks'n'mortar shop with a gift receipt, on the understanding that if he would prefer a different camera, he can bring the one you bought back, boxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

my usual advice here - buy a voucher, rather than making choice for him. or else buy the camera in a bricks'n'mortar shop with a gift receipt, on the understanding that if he would prefer a different camera, he can bring the one you bought back, boxed.

I tend to agree with you there, easier to return to a shop than Amazon. I was talking to the Sony centre there and they have this for sale,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PCDQSJM/ref=psdc_332215031_t3_B00HNT5NG2#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

Its the camera and lens for €579 with €120 cash back tomorrow on Black Friday, they'll throw in a memory card and let me pay in instalments, also can exchange it if needed. The paying in instalments gives me more leeway in relation to budget, any thoughts on this camera?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the sony centre would limit you to one brand though, which might be an issue if you were depending on returns.

i know what it's like - my wife was recently shopping for a camera within the €400 - €600 bracket, and found the range of choice confusing, even within one brand. she eventually settled on a panasonic, but i think they had at least *seven* cameras in her price range, and that wasn't including DSLR options.

Advertisement