Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Licence

Options
  • 23-11-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So, I was stopped by a dog warden back in August and asked to produce a dog Licence. I do have one, but not on me at the time. So he issued a ticket a gave me ten days. It happened on the weekend - so I had to wait till Monday!

I sent off the dog licence to the address with the ticket and completely forgot about it (college started etc..). Today I get two fines - one for not having a dog licence and one for not producing one - a total of 200 euro! So, now it dawns on me the licence was never returned.

I do have the confirmation email from Dublin City Council confirming payment and have authorization codes etc..I also have last years licence. Should it be easy to clear up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 St benerd

So, I was stopped by a dog warden back in August and asked to produce a dog Licence. I do have one, but not on me at the time. So he issued a ticket a gave me ten days. It happened on the weekend - so I had to wait till Monday!

I sent off the dog licence to the address with the ticket and completely forgot about it (college started etc..). Today I get two fines - one for not having a dog licence and one for not producing one - a total of 200 euro! So, now it dawns on me the licence was never returned.

I do have the confirmation email from Dublin City Council confirming payment and have authorization codes etc..I also have last years licence. Should it be easy to clear up?

If u ring dublin city council they should have the licence on file from the date u bought it . That's the way I got a copy of my licence number when I lost it

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Out of curiosity, where did you get stopped? I have never seen a dog warden stopping anyone. I wonder are they clamping down on it now with all the new rules of microchipping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DogOwner101

St benerd wrote: »
    If u ring dublin city council they should have the licence on file from the date u bought it . That's the way I got a copy of my licence number when I lost it

I rang them there! They're sending me out a new dog license and revoking the fines!

Ashbx wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, where did you get stopped? I have never seen a dog warden stopping anyone. I wonder are they clamping down on it now with all the new rules of microchipping etc.

He was just in the park, in his van pulling up to a few owners!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Who in the name of god carries a dog licence around with them and when did this become mandatory??!!

I know exactly what i'd tell some complete randomer if they stopped me like that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was stopped a few months ago but I was asked to call and quote the number on the licenses along with the reference number on the ticket/docket they gave - not send it to them! Also he asked if I had licenses at home - he didn't ask if I had them with me.

We have the A4 laminated lifetime ones and the guy who took my call has obviously never even heard of them as he was trying to tell me the number was wrong and it was a small blue page.. had to explain a few times that the ones were different! :o

I misplaced our licenses last year and mailed DCC - they send me replacements not problem. Assuming it's the same guy - the warden is from Fingal CC (because the pound is in Fingal.. ) and your license is from DCC so possibly they can't cross reference as it'd be too efficient! I'd call DCC tomorrow and explain what happened.

I still have the docket in my bag if we're stopped again as well as photos of the licenses on my phone and have memorised the 2 digit numbers on each :D

O

tk123 wrote: »
    I was stopped a few months ago but I was asked to call and quote the number on the licenses along with the reference number on the ticket/docket they gave - not send it to them! Also he asked if I had licenses at home - he didn't ask if I had them with me.

We have the A4 laminated lifetime ones and the guy who took my call has obviously never even heard of them as he was trying to tell me the number was wrong and it was a small blue page.. had to explain a few times that the ones were different! :o

I misplaced our licenses last year and mailed DCC - they send me replacements not problem. Assuming it's the same guy - the warden is from Fingal CC (because the pound is in Fingal.. ) and your license is from DCC so possibly they can't cross reference as it'd be too efficient! I'd call DCC tomorrow and explain what happened.

I still have the docket in my bag if we're stopped again as well as photos of the licenses on my phone and have memorised the 2 digit numbers on each :D

O

I never got stopped before - so I asked what I was to do! He circled the address on the ticket and told be to send my license there and attach the ticket - they'd return the license.

It was only today that I remembered about it all when the fine arrived. I also realized that I never got the license back. So I assume its lost somewhere! I rang the civic office, explained and they are sending me out another licence and said she'd speak to the pound and not to worry about the fines!

If I knew you could have just rang, that would have solved a lot of hassle!

Come to think of it I think the docket I have said to post but he told me to just call. There was 2 when we were stopped. They were very polite - I think because they’re expecting everyone to have murder with them! :o I don’t envy them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I was stopped some years ago by the warden when out walking my dogs. Like tk123, he did not ask me to produce it there and then, because the law does not require owners to carry the licence on them. It does require that the owner can produce it though, which like the olden days of the driving licence, requires you to produce it within x days.
    He had a wee electronic gadget with him that he seemed to use to confirm I was telling the truth.
    Who in the name of god carries a dog licence around with them and when did this become mandatory??!!

I know exactly what i'd tell some complete randomer if they stopped me like that!!

As above, it is not mandatory to carry your dog license, but you need to be able to produce it within a few days.
    Furthermore, dog wardens are uniformed. They should identify themselves verbally before questioning an owner. They must also produce their warrant when asked for it. And their State-appointed powers under the Control of Dogs Act allows them to stop any dog owner on the street to enquire re their dog licence.
    So, they are not "randomers" in the context of approaching dog owners re dog control legislation.
    Abusing or berating a dog warden in the course of his/her duties is an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

tk123 wrote: »
    Come to think of it I think the docket I have said to post but he told me to just call. There was 2 when we were stopped. They were very polite - I think because they’re expecting everyone to have murder with them! :o I don’t envy them!
    How do they know who u are? I would t be carrying ID walking my dog

• Advertisement

They ask! I suppose you could lie! But because I have a licence, I didn't feel the need to. But its all sorted now!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I was stopped by the dog warden in Malahide castle last weekend.
    When i told him i had the reference on my phone he seemed happy enough and went off without waiting for me to bring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

have no licence.
    got a letter in to produce one.
    is it just the single years licence you pay for or previous unpaid years?
    Thanks

have no licence.
    got a letter in to produce one.
    is it just the single years licence you pay for or previous unpaid years?
    Thanks

Just the single one - sure didn't you only get the dog ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Valfc5

last night I renewed my dog licence with An Post WWW.licences.ie It was not a pleasant experience. Why is it so complicated?
    one) the site is hard to understand. Two) you have to go through filling out a form (why I'm already registered as the owner and have a renewal 'Dog Licence Reminder'. Three) it took three emails from licence.ie . Four) there is no option to print out the new renewed licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Until they moved to that licence.ie method, I used to buy mine from the county council and could download the pdfs from the site. Now you can’t and they post them out. Such a waste of money and paper. A big step backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Until they moved to that licence.ie method, I used to buy mine from the county council and could download the pdfs from the site. Now you can’t and they post them out. Such a waste of money and paper. A big step backwards.

have they stopped doing them in the post office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ganmo wrote: »
    have they stopped doing them in the post office?

I don’t think so. I presume you can still buy them there.

Advertisement