Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatsapp backup restore from Android to new iphone?

Options
  • 23-11-2017 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

so the wife is getting a new iphone 8 (she hates the S8 galaxy so im taking it off her! :eek:)
    she had an iphone previously and after a lot of messing i got her Whatsapp's across from the iphone to Android.

How do you get the whatsapp backup from Android across to iphone? the backup is on Google Drive but how do i access this to restore it on the iphone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GiraffeMatt

Hi hope you can help me, just bought a new Android Huawei phone and I am trying desperately to get my WhatsApp messages off my old iPhone but can't. The new phone backs up from Google drive but the iPhone is backed up to icloud. I see in your post you man this in past please shed some light if you can thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

thekooman wrote: »
    so the wife is getting a new iphone 8 (she hates the S8 galaxy so im taking it off her! :eek:)
    she had an iphone previously and after a lot of messing i got her Whatsapp's across from the iphone to Android.

How do you get the whatsapp backup from Android across to iphone? the backup is on Google Drive but how do i access this to restore it on the iphone?

Not possible iPhone to Android it is possible but not other way around. ( last time i checked)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Hi hope you can help me, just bought a new Android Huawei phone and I am trying desperately to get my WhatsApp messages off my old iPhone but can't. The new phone backs up from Google drive but the iPhone is backed up to icloud. I see in your post you man this in past please shed some light if you can thanks.

Google wazzup migrator and instruction will show you how to achieve it, be prepared it is not easy and you need to be little tech savy, ie process involve extracting sql from iPhone backup then copy to android device and open via wazzup migrator app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

deep1 wrote: »
    Google wazzup migrator and instruction will show you how to achieve it, be prepared it is not easy and you need to be little tech savy, ie process involve extracting sql from iPhone backup then copy to android device and open via wazzup migrator app.

exactly what i did in the end.... pain in the *** :rolleyes:

What’s the process from Android to iOS? Is there an actual built in method or do I need to use some Windows software? Every Google result reads like an advertisement for software and it’s hard to make out if they’re dodgy or not.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    There is no built-in process. WhatsApp doesn't natively support backup / restore of chats between iOS and Android (very annoying), but it's down to the different cloud services used to backup the chats via WhatsApp.

I use this service for transferring chat history from Android > iOS - https://www.backuptrans.com/android-iphone-whatsapp-transfer-plus.html - it's a paid service, but any of the free ones I've found never worked, or limited to like 2000 messages. You need a PC or Mac to complete the transfer, but it's straightforward. Check YouTube if you get stuck.

If you ever need to go from iOS > Android, https://www.wazzapmigrator.com/ is the best / easiest option.

Keep in mind your giving 3rd party software access to your chat history. Not sure if the E2E Encryption applies to chat-backups, doubt it. So if you're paranoid - maybe don't use!

Cheers. I’ve used whazzapmigrator to do it when my sister switched from an iphone 5 to an A50 but never did it the other direction. Definitely don’t mind paying for software if it’ll work.

Advertisement