Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting out alarm cables

Options
  • 23-11-2017 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some quick advice about an alarm install. My builders made a mess of installing alarm cables in the correct positions. As a result none of the cables at the windows can be used. They are all going to have to be cut out.
    There seems to be a few PIR cables that are looped. Will these be looped with the windows or on a separate PIR circuit? I had though PIRs were generally wired each with their own cable.
    The only other cables that can possibly be used are the keypad at the door and the front door sensor.
    As I'm going to have to go with a wireless alarm now is there any point keeping any of theses cables or do I just go totally wireless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Effects wrote: »
    I'm looking for some quick advice about an alarm install. My builders made a mess of installing alarm cables in the correct positions. As a result none of the cables at the windows can be used. They are all going to have to be cut out.
    There seems to be a few PIR cables that are looped. Will these be looped with the windows or on a separate PIR circuit? I had though PIRs were generally wired each with their own cable.
    The only other cables that can possibly be used are the keypad at the door and the front door sensor.
    As I'm going to have to go with a wireless alarm now is there any point keeping any of theses cables or do I just go totally wireless?

Can the revile around the window not be chased and filled allowing the moving of the cables?

There should be one cable to each PIR.

Most systems today will be hybrid meaning you can have a mixture of wired and wire free.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Probably mixing wired and wireless would be the tidiest option now if you don't want to cause a mess around the windows.
    Can you check with the builder what way the PiRs are wired?
    I would be very surprised if they are wired with the windows. If they are loopd with 4 core cable you could use that for 2 PiRs , 4 PiRs on 6 core or 6 on 8 core if really needed.
    With a hybrid system you would also have the option of mixing with wireless PiRs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Thanks, I just wanted some advice before I hear back from the builder. I'll leave the cables at the door, and keypad and check the what way the PIRs are wired.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No bother.Always leave any cables untill the alarm is fully operational. You just never know.
    If you need anything come back to us.

Most of the cables are coming out at the join of the ceiling and the wall, not even close to the window reveal. They look awful so I'd rather have them removed before the painter has finished everything. I've asked for the sparks to identify whats what at the panel location but I don't think he'll bother. Might just get a new toner and figure it out myself. Due to budget restrictions the alarm won't go in until some time next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Assuming the cables are long enough to reach the window reveals I'd be asking the builder to route them properly and make good the walls before the painters start. No big deal if done as part of the snagging process.

Painters are pretty much finished! It was mentioned a few times to the builders but nothing was done about it. Being 6 months behind schedule and this being the smallest of issues we have had with them, I'm happy to just cut cables out and go with a hybrid system.

As well to move on so.

Advertisement