Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Wifi System - €112 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-system-single-point/dp/B01MDJ0HVG?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIPHVZTVH6LZ5BFZA&tag=hawk-future-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MDJ0HVG&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ascsubtag=trd-231203133-20

Single Google Wifi hub discounted from $129.99: $99.99
    AmazonGlobal Standard Shipping: $8.27
    Import Fees Deposit: $24.67

Total: $131.94

Converted to euro about : €111.37
    About €50 cheaper than Maplin.

Also

"For AmazonGlobal items, you won't be charged additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit we estimated."

About Import Fees Deposit

I have these setup, bought them when I was in the states. You would really need two or three for a house. One might be ok for an apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I have these setup, bought them when I was in the states. You would really need two or three for a house. One might be ok for an apartment.

I know someone with one in a 120sqm house, it gets the whole house and back garden.

I know someone with one in a 120sqm house, it gets the whole house and back garden.

Maybe would work depending on the placement of the main hub. I have my main hub in the very front left room and the second hub in the very back right room. I wasn't able to get coverage in the backroom without the second hub.

But like you say, each experience may be different depending on placement, construction of house etc.

Maybe would work depending on the placement of the main hub. I have my main hub in the very front left room and the second hub in the very back right room. I wasn't able to get coverage in the backroom without the second hub.

But like you say, each experience may be different depending on placement, construction of house etc.

I'm going to get one anyway, if needs be I'll pick up a second one in the US in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Be careful with us Google WiFi. 5ghz channels on a different range EU devices cannot see. You can't control the channels so are stuck and can't change region as it's different hardware in us model

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Really no point in just one of these. Better off getting a more capable decent wifi router, which will cost the same or less and have greater range and abilities.

If you are looking for a multi access point system, this is also not that great, no independent wireless back channel (but ok if using ethernet backhaul). It is dual band only.

Linksys Velop or Netgear Orbi are better options, being tri-band and having independent backhaul. I'd say keep an eye out for these to be on sale tomorrow or Monday.

If you have ethernet in your home, then Ubiquiti Access Points are excellent, but a bit techie to set up.

Rafloution wrote: »
    Be careful with us Google WiFi. 5ghz channels on a different range EU devices cannot see. You can't control the channels so are stuck and can't change region as it's different hardware in us model

I have two bought in the US and have loads of devices connected on the 5 ghz channel. I don't think there is any technical difference between 5 ghz in EU and US to be honest, you may be confusing it with mobile networking.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oh this is from the US!!

Unless you can set it to Europe in the settings, it would actually be illegal to use this in Ireland. Different wireless frequencies, you could end up with ComReg knocking on your door.

Really just get yourself a TP-Link AC1900, it will have better performance:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beamforming-Technology-UK-Archer-C9/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511452063&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+ac1900

Also some tips, if you can, have your wireless router near the center of your home and if you can have it high up on a shelf near the ceiling. Can really help boost the signal.

I have two bought in the US and have loads of devices connected on the 5 ghz channel. I don't think there is any technical difference between 5 ghz in EU and US to be honest, you may be confusing it with mobile networking.

There is and unless you have set your device to the European region, then you are breaking the law! Seriously different unlicensed frequencies between the US and here.

bk wrote: »
    Oh this is from the US!!

Unless you can set it to Europe in the settings, it would actually be illegal to use this in Ireland. Different wireless frequencies, you could end up with ComReg knocking on your door.

Really just get yourself a TP-Link AC1900, it will have better performance:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beamforming-Technology-UK-Archer-C9/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511452063&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+ac1900

Also some tips, if you can, have your wireless router near the center of your home and if you can have it high up on a shelf near the ceiling. Can really help boost the signal.

Currently using a Xiaomi Wifi Router, using the Chinese bands - comreg has yet to knock on my door :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There is and unless you have set your device to the European region, then you are breaking the law! Seriously different unlicensed frequencies between the US and here.

Ok fair enough, setup is working fine for me anyway with european devices connecting no problem.

Currently using a Xiaomi Wifi Router, using the Chinese bands - comreg has yet to knock on my door :rolleyes:

That is fine, use at your own risk, but I don't think you should be recommending devices to people here on boards that might get them in trouble.

Comreg have vans who look for out of spec devices causing interference and they do prosecute people for it. Also the mobile phone companies are pretty aggressive looking for interference too.

hqdefault.jpg
    Ok fair enough, setup is working fine for me anyway with european devices connecting no problem.

Yes, their is an overlap between the frequencies, so yes, European devices will work. The issue is that your router may also be transmitting on licensed frequencies and at power levels which aren't allowed and interfering with other licensed services, e.g. radar at airports, mobile masts, etc.

Check your settings if their is an option to set your device to the European region, this would fix this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Really no point in just one of these. Better off getting a more capable decent wifi router, which will cost the same or less and have greater range and abilities.

If you are looking for a multi access point system, this is also not that great, no independent wireless back channel (but ok if using ethernet backhaul). It is dual band only.

Linksys Velop or Netgear Orbi are better options, being tri-band and having independent backhaul. I'd say keep an eye out for these to be on sale tomorrow or Monday.

If you have ethernet in your home, then Ubiquiti Access Points are excellent, but a bit techie to set up.

These are the things to get. Get long range one of Pro version and they have a huge range.

the powerline with wifi built in is a great option imo - works very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I have the BT home mesh system. Sinch to setup and fantastic coverage. The download speeds are much faster than my previous setup but it's slow to get up and running... It's like a car with a great top speed but crap acceleration. Streaming netflix etc. the odd time it takes a while for the stream to kick into HD. Sky Q box takes a while to load film previews etc. This was all instant with my last router.. I only switched cause my last router died... Very tempted to go back to a single router system.

That is fine, use at your own risk, but I don't think you should be recommending devices to people here on boards that might get them in trouble.

Comreg have vans who look for out of spec devices causing interference and they do prosecute people for it. Also the mobile phone companies are pretty aggressive looking for interference too.

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, their is an overlap between the frequencies, so yes, European devices will work. The issue is that your router may also be transmitting on licensed frequencies and at power levels which aren't allowed and interfering with other licensed services, e.g. radar at airports, mobile masts, etc.

Check your settings if their is an option to set your device to the European region, this would fix this issue.

You think Google manufacture different devices or use different chipsets for different markets? OR you think maybe it's software based?

Advertisement