Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbally Roundabout

• 23-11-2017 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that the corbally roundabout has changed its lanes??

Coming over the bridge towards corbally, the right lane is now only for right (not Pa Healy road but the road behind Supervalu) the road that nobody uses!!! You have to stay in the left lane to go down Pa Healy road.

Then coming from Pa Healy road side, its left lane only for the first exit. Again teh road behind Supervalu.............. that nobody uses. The left lane is for going into town or out to westbury.

This ridiculous new system is in place a couple of months but nobody uses it properly. Its gotten to the stage now where I have to straddle both lanes to make sure someone doesnt undertake me if i use the roadabout properly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Seems like everybody uses it the way it used to be used. From Pa Healy road - which was left lane for going straight on or (rarely) turning in beside SuperValu, and right lane for turning right only.

But it's probably just a matter of time until somebody following the markings clashes with somebody using it the old way, with two cars both thinking they are the only one that will go straight on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Thats it exactly. I wonder whos bright idea it was to change it. I know they are just trying to make it better but if anything the new way would cause more congestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I mentioned it to a engineer in the council and he said they would look at it that was 2 months ago.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Mr.H wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that the corbally roundabout has changed its lanes??

Coming over the bridge towards corbally, the right lane is now only for right (not Pa Healy road but the road behind Supervalu) the road that nobody uses!!! You have to stay in the left lane to go down Pa Healy road.

Then coming from Pa Healy road side, its left lane only for the first exit. Again teh road behind Supervalu.............. that nobody uses. The left lane is for going into town or out to westbury.

This ridiculous new system is in place a couple of months but nobody uses it properly. Its gotten to the stage now where I have to straddle both lanes to make sure someone doesnt undertake me if i use the roadabout properly.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104098013

Wow, you're fast......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Is there really a need for a post like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Mr.H wrote: »

This is insane if I have understood your description correctly. On a busy tight roundabout, dedicating whole lanes to seldom-used exits?

If the council want to get doing something there, then I propose they make use of the land (AFAIK owned by the council themselves) over the old concrete railing and create an extra lane to add a little capacity to outbound traffic. Yes I know traffic would need to merge to a single lane again at bottom of the rise to O'Driscolls, but it would go some way towards freeing things up with a relatively small spend and construction interruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'd have to see the lane markings coming off Athlunkard Bridge myself because I know the ones from the Groody Link have been there a while and are confusing as the left lane "LOOKS" like it wants you to go into the loading bay only but that's a mistake.

If the direction off the Athlunkard bridge says right then it is in fact correct because the Groody road and Loading Bay Road are both after the 12pm position on a clock so therefore indicate right and bear right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

osarusan wrote: »
    Seems like everybody uses it the way it used to be used. From Pa Healy road - which was left lane for going straight on or (rarely) turning in beside SuperValu, and right lane for turning right only.

But it's probably just a matter of time until somebody following the markings clashes with somebody using it the old way, with two cars both thinking they are the only one that will go straight on.

I've blasted a few people out of it as they're in the wrong lane there, surprised there hasn't been a big crash there.

mgbgt1978 wrote:
    Wow, you're fast......

Honestly didn't see the thread. Would have posted there otherwise but I'm sure you wouldn't have had any reason to post then so if anything, your welcome.

Berty wrote:
    If the direction off the Athlunkard bridge says right then it is in fact correct because the Groody road and Loading Bay Road are both after the 12pm position on a clock so therefore indicate right and bear right.

If coming from the bridge your three exits are at approx 8(odriscolls), 1 (PA healy) and 3 o clock(delivery road). The left lane is currently for the first and second exits (8 and 1 o clock) and the right lane is for 3 o clock (the delivery road for supervalu).

If coming from PA healy road the exits are 8(the delivery road), 11(the bridge) and 1 o'clock (odriscolls) approx. This time the left lane is for first exit only (8 o'clock). The right lane is for both 11 and 3 o'clock).

Coming from odriscolls side I think the lanes are fine but on the other two (the bridge and PA healy road), it seems that they give one lane for two busy exits and a separate road for a seemly unused exit.

• Advertisement

***Mods feels free to merge the threads.***

It's funny that all this annoyance at the road can now be solved in the next few weeks while we have a probable electon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Coming out over the bridge, the left lane has arrows that branch for left and straight ahead, and the right lane has an arrow at a right angle for right turn only.

osarusan wrote: »
    Coming out over the bridge, the left lane has arrows that branch for left and straight ahead, and the right lane has an arrow at a right angle for right turn only.

Thats correct. Which makes no sense for the road. Surely it would be better to have the right lane for straight and right turn at that roundabout considering the right turn is so rarely used.

I continue and will continue to straddle both lanes to stop people from coming up beside me because I dont want someone going into the side of me. As far as I am concerned this is the safest option. The amount of times I see the person behind me giving out about what I am doing and it turns out they where using the wrong lane.................

Advertisement