Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-pregnancy present

Options
  • 23-11-2017 6:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hopefully this won’t be deemed off-topic but if so, apologies in advance!

My wife and I are due our first baby in the coming weeks - even if she goes over we should still have him/her with us by Christmas Day.

With that in mind I’m trying to find something that would be a good post-pregnancy gift to go with her Christmas present, and thought you guys might have suggestions.

I know this makes things more awkward but I’m keen to avoid any ‘mammy’ presents, if that makes sense... I don’t want her to feel that the gifts I get her must now relate to the baby.

I’d imagine the likes of a spa treatment / massage would be a winner - though if there’s anything specific beyond that I’m all ears!

(I suppose my TL;DR question is - what item would be most appreciated by someone who’d just had a baby?!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Nice piece of jewellery to mark the occasion?

Spa/massage is good, but may be difficult in the first couple of months if she’s breastfeeding and hence can’t leave the baby for long.

A cleaner!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

If you don't want to get something that's linked to the baby, then think back to what you would have gotten her before pregnancy/baby making.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

My husband got me an infinity bracelet after our baby was born. I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What does she normally like?

I can’t stand jewellery personally, but would be delighted with something I missed out on during pregnancy... like a decent bottle of wine, a big wodge of pate, or a platter of raw meat or fish! Not everyone’s choice though.

Us women aren’t all the same. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jewellery will go down well if she likes that. The spa treatment could be nice but only if she will have the time to go to it. I'd stay away from a massage. Trust me after you have just had a baby you won't want anyone near you until your body heals!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Nice piece of jewellery to mark the occasion?

Spa/massage is good, but may be difficult in the first couple of months if she’s breastfeeding and hence can’t leave the baby for long.

A cleaner!!!!!
    Cakerbaker wrote: »
    My husband got me an infinity bracelet after our baby was born. I love it.

Thanks - might see if I come across some jewellery she’d like; haven’t gone down that route in a few years!
    pwurple wrote: »
    What does she normally like?

I can’t stand jewellery personally, but would be delighted with something I missed out on during pregnancy... like a decent bottle of wine, a big wodge of pate, or a platter of raw meat or fish! Not everyone’s choice though.

Us women aren’t all the same. ;)

Now there’s an idea - a ‘wine of the month’ subscription might go down very well!

Photo shoot could be a good one - thanks!
    appledrop wrote: »
    Jewellery will go down well if she likes that. The spa treatment could be nice but only if she will have the time to go to it. I'd stay away from a massage. Trust me after you have just had a baby you won't want anyone near you until your body heals!

That’s fair enough! Thanks.
    scarepanda wrote: »
    If you don't want to get something that's linked to the baby, then think back to what you would have gotten her before pregnancy/baby making.

I’ve gotten her a few ‘normal’ bits like I would have gotten before but was trying to see if there was something specific I could get given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I wouldn’t go down the route of a spa treatment etc, because she might not want to leave baby, and it can be hard to orchestrate these things when you have a mini-person go organise!!
    I was in the kilkenny shop the other day, they have some fab wall prints, and I was drooling over the glass art work (Rebecca kAhn). Will someone tell my OH that I have produced 3 sons for him, and he needs to buy me one of these!
    It’s very individual though, some people might hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

My husband got me a beautiful ring after our first baby.
    Other option could be a necklace with the babys Initials on it?

A Brown Thomas voucher would go down well aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I'd say a nice piece of jewellery too, my partner got me nothing other than a pile of stress, so I'd just like to say what a lovely guy you are for thinking so much of your wife!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

We went to Monart for a weekend. My husband booked it for when baby was three months old. Was a bit ambitious in hindsight but it made us go - if it hadn't been booked I would have put it off! One night would have been enough and tbh I didn't enjoy the treatments, but I loved my dinner and cocktails!! I had expressed loads of milk so
    I didn't have to worry about my alcohol intake for the first time- was great fun lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I'm due next year and I'm going to get my husband to book a couple of my favourite restaurants! I'm not going to go mad expressing, I'm happy enough next time to give the odd formula, so if your wife is anything like me a fancy dinner, with pate, wine and cocktails, will be my treat!

Advertisement