Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Leo be the shortest serving taoiseach in history?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

enricoh wrote: »
    When Fine gael took over from fianna fail every second weekend there was a going away party on around here with friends going to oz, Canada etc looking for work
    Fast forward to now and virtually everyone I know is working. I was building an extension this year and every tradesman I had was flat out also
    Thats good enough for me to vote for them

You probably should vote for Mario Draghi so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

She'll go. She's only there cos she's a yes woman, Enda knew he could count on her to the bitter end, then she backed the right horse in the leadership bid and was given a nice new ministry as reward. Always found her very underwhelming. Herself and Charlie Flanagan could fuel a hot air baloon between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Agricola wrote: »
    She'll go. She's only there cos she's a yes woman, Enda knew he could count on her to the bitter end, then she backed the right horse in the leadership bid and was given a nice new ministry as reward. Always found her very underwhelming. Herself and Charlie Flanagan could fuel a hot air baloon between them

Any time I saw her on tv it brought to mind the little Britain "but I'm a laydeeeee" sketch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

His personal qualifications have f all to do with his POLITICAL ACHIEVEMENTS

I disagree being a doctor shows his intelligence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

He has driven the 8th referendum forward.
    The nuclear bomb of Irish Politics.
    Forget the economy, the fall in unemployment, rights for the self employed . . .the 8th will be the defining moment of our time.

Michael Martin would have lost this down the back of the radiator by now.

littelady wrote: »

Grand so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Agricola wrote: »

Well seeing as Charlie is 'old guard' FG, and also knew of the email for a week (publicly) before he told Leo (resulting in Leo having to correct the record 3 times) I think he may also be shuffled off too.

If it emerges (as the truth always comes out) that FG hierarchy were indeed aware of the Garda strategy to smear Maurice McCabe, they should be ostracized in politics for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭Allinall

You'll never get through to the naysayers and begrudgers, who know f all about politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Just checking this, does anyone know if this is possible.
    SF will table a motion of no confidence in Fitzgerald, FF have said they may table their own, does that mean two separate motions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Jawgap wrote: »
    SF are just the noisy kids in the garden while the adults are inside talking.

No one really pays them that much heed and certainly FF aren't going to follow their lead.

Plus FF know they'll suffer the retribution of the electorate if they trigger an election - I sincerely doubt this is a hill they're willing to die on.

So you think the allegations against the Minister for Justice are childsplay?the corruption in this countries justice system looks as if it runs from bottom of the rung Gardai all the way up to the Justice Minister and you see an attempt to rectify this as childsplay. Please stay out of politics or any public departments because your lack of patriotism and your corrupt mindset is exactly what this country doesn't need.

Allinall wrote: »
    You'll never get through to the naysayers and begrudgers, who know f all about politics.

Plenty of begrudgers are experts in politics and extremely disillusioned by it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

"Doctors differ and patients die" comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

No he will still be Taoiseach regardless.

Mutant z wrote: »
    No he will still be Taoiseach regardless.

For ever ever ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Well seeing as Charlie is 'old guard' FG, and also knew of the email for a week (publicly) before he told Leo (resulting in Leo having to correct the record 3 times) I think he may also be shuffled off too.

If it emerges (as the truth always comes out) that FG hierarchy were indeed aware of the Garda strategy to smear Maurice McCabe, they should be ostracized in politics for many years.

Yep, it's certainly a gilt edged chance to topple the government and have an election, but as was said earlier, I don't think FF see it as the right time to throw their hat in that ring. Will be very interesting to see what happens.

Finding out the Gards were a rotten organisation is one thing, but the Justice minister colluding with them on something like this is fairly abysmal, though wholly unsurprising.
    Im no fan of Lucinda Creighton, but I think the bottom line is that people like her who stand on a principal, pay the ultimate price. While others who get bouts of amnesia or are happy to go whichever way the prevailing wind blows, seem to get promotions. Irish politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Be careful what you wish for

The tower cranes are up and there is another Cowen waiting for the coffin lid to slide open

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

He has got achievements, keeping Sinn Fein out of government thus saving the economy and the countries dignity.

For jesus sake man, try to be subtle at least.

For ever ever ?

Until the next GE at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

smurgen wrote: »
    So you think the allegations against the Minister for Justice are childsplay?the corruption in this countries justice system looks as if it runs from bottom of the rung Gardai all the way up to the Justice Minister and you see an attempt to rectify this as childsplay. Please stay out of politics or any public departments because your lack of patriotism and your corrupt mindset is exactly what this country doesn't need.

Lol your post reads like a first year arts student doing a politics module

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You’re totally putting words in that posters mouth. He never said that he thought it was child’s play or even implied it. He just gave his opinion on what he thinks will happen, didn’t say if he thought it was right or wrong.

You shinnerbots are far too sensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Be careful what you wish for

The tower cranes are up and there is another Cowen waiting for the coffin lid to slide open

Speaking of dead men walking, how long will Michael mcgrath waiting before making a move on martin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Fanny **** wrote: »
    You probably should vote for Mario Draghi so

Well id give fianna fail a few years to wreck the economy by buying every vote doling out every penny going.
    I was in sinn feins heartland , the falls road last year, iirc it has 80% unemployment, so they are doing super work up there!
    As for the alliance party, I think north Korea is the place for them.
    And aaa/ pbp? Anyone over 21 who supports them shouldn't be allowed operate machinery!
    Sod it, fine gael it is so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Speaking of dead men walking, how long will Michael mcgrath waiting before making a move on martin?

Ah, faithful Smithers doesn't have the cojones to make a move.

2vs2fd0.jpg

1rd7uq.jpg

FF arent ready for an election, if Frances doesnt resign then they will just abstain.

However if she doesnt resign and they have to abstain they will deffinitely take their share of skin off FG down the line as that will give SF a large stick to beat FF with for years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    The justice minister of all people actively knew, yet did shag all about a smear campaign, involving the most disgusting and vile accusations anyone could be accused of - about a whistleblower that she publicly was showing support for, along with the person trying to smear him (Noirin Sullivan)

FF apparently are set to refuse to back Fitzgerald on this one. You seem to be unaware of this.

That makes your above remarks about the kids and the adults all the more ironic.

Yes, SF......the party of openness and transparency..........and kangaroo courts. they're definitely well placed and carry the moral authority to pronounce authoritatively on such matters.

And refusing to back her, and voting with the Shinners are two completely separate things. Plus, per the OP's question, I reckon when the dust settles Leo will still be Taoiseach and the Shinners will still be irrelevant.

Ah, faithful Smithers doesn't have the cojones to make a move.

2vs2fd0.jpg

1rd7uq.jpg

Traditionally an election where "de partee" performs 'below expectations' seems to be considered the polite time to have a go. He may well be content to bide his time.

And refusing to back her, and voting with the Shinners are two completely separate things. Plus, per the OP's question, I reckon when the dust settles Leo will still be Taoiseach and the Shinners will still be irrelevant.

Those days are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Great to see Coveney sent out to face TV a strong face and a loyal fg man

According to the Times

"Taoiseach calls late night crisis meeting as he refuses to sack Fitzgerald"
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/taoiseach-calls-late-night-crisis-meeting-as-he-refuses-to-sack-fitzgerald-1.3302640

Have to say I'm suprised. She's clearly well winged.

No, I think it's very serious.....too serious for the Shinners.

They spend their time trying to evade responsibility and accountability (Stormont and Westminster) so it's unclear how they can contribute anything to a discussion on either of those points as they related to office-holders.

• Advertisement

For ever ever ?

I'd say he's good for 2 election cycles.

Surely the simple thing for FG is to allow her to resign or sack her and replace her with someone else and just continue as normal why allow FF and SF hold them to ransom like this, they should just make a snap decision asap and get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

5 times Leo had to correct the record in the Dail. Not great to be going to the country on.
    Frances will jump over the weekend, Leo will show us some new socks and FFFG will carry on to the next cock up.

The high moral grounders are having a huge problem with the opposition parties (who are supposed to hold to account) do their jobs. Only for them FFFG would have swept this all under the carpet.

Mutant z wrote: »
    Surely the simple thing for FG is to allow her to resign or sack her and replace her with someone else and just continue as normal why allow FF and SF hold them to ransom like this, they should just make a snap decision asap and get on with it.

Maybe he wants an election and fancies his chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

No, I think it's very serious.....too serious for the Shinners.

They spend their time trying to evade responsibility and accountability (Stormont and Westminster) so it's unclear how they can contribute anything to a discussion on either of those points as they related to office-holders.

Even if it was a cynical ploy by them would you not rather see Fitzgerald gone than to continue on in office? It's in everyone's interest she goes.Doesn't bode well that the Justice Minister will at best turn a blind eye or at worst take part in Garda corruption.i can't believe people would rather have her in her position just to spite a party.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Those days are long gone.

Nope......still irrelevant.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/933811545150279680

FF doing their own thing, by the sound of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

We need a coup d'etat

The Defence Forces could surround the closed-down Garda stations.

Petrol stations and convenience stores would be kept open to guarantee the supply of breakfast rolls for the starving masses.

Doctor Ciara Kelly will be the leader of this junta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

I don't really give a flying Frances about it all. Accountability and integrity are traits that are in short supply in Leinster House. We lurch from one bunch of shysters to the next and nothing ever really changes......

Even if it was a cynical ploy by them would you not rather see Fitzgerald gone than to continue on in office? It's in everyone's interest she goes.Doesn't bode well that the Justice Minister will at best turn a blind eye or at worst take part in Garda corruption.i can't believe people would rather have her in her position just to spite a party.

I'm not saying she should stay......I'm just pointing out that the Shinners have zero moral authority to be anyway preachy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If there's an election then the parties who cause it could well suffer by losing seats.
    If there's one thing i've learned from life it's never to take anything for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ha ha FF who apparently have moral authority clambering to get in on the act having dithered to give Michael time on his own to work it all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

She has to go. She handled and continues to handle the whole McCabe scandal terribly. We wouldn't be here today if he hadn't taped the conversation and the senior Gardaí (still unpunished) were allowed get away with their blatant lies at a Commission of Inquiry. It really is beyond condemnation.

The Gardaí are still a corrupt shambles and I don't think Fitzgerald did a damn thing about it.

How they let O'Sullivan retire with a huge payout after what she did is the reason I will not vote FG in the next election. I voted FG #1 and #2 in the previous 2 elections but they really achieve very very little.

Wrong time of the year to go for an election, people dont want to be hit with canvassing at this time of year or have to worry about the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Let's have another general election if even to see the journal.ie explode when its ff/fg again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

He's been an utter disaster from day one. No substance all bluster.

• Advertisement

She has to go. She handled and continues to handle the whole McCabe scandal terribly. We wouldn't be here today if he hadn't taped the conversation and the senior Gardaí (still unpunished) were allowed get away with their blatant lies at a Commission of Inquiry. It really is beyond condemnation.

The Gardaí are still a corrupt shambles and I don't think Fitzgerald did a damn thing about it.

How they let O'Sullivan retire with a huge payout after what she did is the reason I will not vote FG in the next election. I voted FG #1 and #2 in the previous 2 elections but they really achieve very very little.

I don't think there's legal grounds to clip a pension etc in such a matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

BillyBobBS wrote: »

In your opinion.

BillyBobBS wrote: »

Enda is no longer Taoiseach BillyBob! ;)

Lest we forget...

Realisitcally the only possible change is things swap and its FF in power with FG supporting, nobody wins from an election right now.

Tbh i dont think FF have the numbers to make that happen FG are on the up regardless of what the loud minority would like to believe or shout and scream about

Odhinn wrote: »
    I don't think there's legal grounds to clip a pension etc in such a matter.

She should not have been allowed retire. She instructed senior Gardaí to lie to discredit a very honest and brave man who are few and far between in this country. The senior Gardai got caught out - they had hoped it was their word against McCabe's. She should have been charged with perverting the court of justice or whatever law is broken committing perjury at a Commission of Inquiry.

And I haven't even mentioned the TUSLA child abuse accusation cause by "bad filing" yet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement