Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Leo be the shortest serving taoiseach in history?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Why doesn't Varadkar just sack Fitzgerald and Flanagan if they have new information?

The guy needs to grow a pair of balls. In politics you have to able to throw people under the bus just to survive.

It's pure irrational it's come to this...they should've been gone a week ago (or when the new info surfaced Friday at latest)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fitzgerald seen going in to government buildings according to IT.

Looks like she is being sacked or is resigning (can't see otherwise why she would be there?).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not sure I see any connection between this affair and the Brexit negotiations.

No? This government has been shown up as totally untruthful, no logos, backtracking blundering morons. This is who we want to send in to oversee the best deal for our nation? This heap need to be gotten rid off ASAP

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I don.t think from a political perspective he has to. He can weather this far more than FF can weather an election.

Lets hope they all have to "weather" a particularly nasty cold one to match the treatment that continued to be doled out to McCabe when the tribunal was going on.

Outwardly patting him on the head, sitting on their hands behind closed doors.

If you bullet pointed the scary stuff thats went on in the whole debacle it makes for frightening reading. Too many documents, phones and memories conveniently went missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Leo did the right thing in calling for the docs trawl. Let the facts out and let it lie were it is. Then deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

There is no time on that front. It's them or no one. The crucial summit for Ireland is in December.

It has already been said by a professor of politics that Leo would still have authority to represent the state even if an election were called before Christmas. None issue, reminds me of Enda's long goodbye.

FG and FF.

Cut from the same ****ty cloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,323 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

buried wrote: »
    No? This government has been shown up as totally untruthful, no logos, backtracking blundering morons. This is who we want to send in to oversee the best deal for our nation? This heap need to be gotten rid off ASAP

Even if any or all of that was true, it would have very little effect on Varadkar and Coveney's ability to argue Ireland's case for the next fortnight or so re. Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

STB. wrote: »
    Lets hope they all have to "weather" a particularly nasty cold one to match the treatment that continued to be doled out to McCabe when the tribunal was going on.

Outwardly patting him on the head, sitting on their hands behind closed doors.

If you bullet pointed the scary stuff thats went on in the whole debacle it makes for frightening reading. Too many documents, phones and memories went missing.

And if they're willing to do that to a Garda with no baggage, what have they done to others who've crossed them? Both Callinan and O'Sullivan were Gardai for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,748 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

At least Leo has the sense not to sack her by email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Probably do it over Instagram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fitzgerald seen going in to government buildings according to IT.

Looks like she is being sacked or is resigning (can't see otherwise why she would be there?).

Might be checking her emails.

https://twitter.com/SarahBardon/status/935253299342856192

I don't think she would be in government buildings at this hour if something had not changed, reckon Varadkar has enough to safely dismiss her at this point.

She'd read it, forget it and turn up for work tommorow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I don't think she would be in government buildings at this hour if something had not changed, reckon Varadkar has enough to safely dismiss her at this point.

He had enough on Friday by all accounts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

The worst thing to come out of all if this is having to endure Martina Fitzgerald trying not to swallow her own tongue 50 times in an interview.

I'm going to feel very bad if she has some sort of health issue :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Could somewhat confidently predict oireacthas tv to achieve record viewership tomorrow

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    He had enough on Friday by all accounts.

Yes but now the optics are right - "In light of new information, Frances has tendered her resignation" etc etc

(Bet that's as far as it goes and she'll still get the full pension plan though! :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,323 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They could also spin it as Fitzgerald offering her resignation, therefore Varadkar technically wouldn't have changed his position or backed down on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I dont see how this can end without fitzgerald gettng the boot. In my opinion if FF ease off the peddle now they look like all piss and wind and all this will be for nothing to the joe soap in the street..if FG back her it forces FF into an election,

She's gone on this, That FG line to the media if true, would be about what you'd expect from Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

They could also spin it as Fitzgerald offering her resignation, therefore Varadkar technically wouldn't have changed his position or backed down on anything.

Whiskey and revolver? :pac:

Possibly. But she has made right fools of them all.

This stuff was always going to get into the public domain.

I think he needs to make a strong statement or his own future is not rosy.

I'd guess that she resigns, he and MM make a statement after half 9 for the morning papers, and they try and brazen it out over the next few weeks and get into the new year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I wonder if Leo will resign

On what grounds would Leo resign? That's nuts.

branie2 wrote: »

Not a hope.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd guess that she resigns, he and MM make a statement after half 9 for the morning papers, and they try and brazen it out over the next few weeks and get into the new year anyway.

Resignation and FF will claim they got big commitment on reform. Election averted until Easter is my bet.

branie2 wrote: »

No chance.. not unless there's more to come or FF decide to force a GE

The strategy in this country is ALWAYS this..

- Scandal emerges
    - Deny/deflect/downplay
    - More stuff emerges
    - Promise to look into it/setup an investigation
    - Situation escalates. Main Opposition starts to make noise
    - Conflicting statements emerge from various ministers
    - Finally, MAYBE someone will step down.. but never quit outright and never without their full "entitlements" and confident of no further (legal/crimimal) prosecution
    - Remaining Government ministers point to how the situation has been addressed, opposition go quiet... the game goes on

That's how it works :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

21:08
    Latest from Sarah Bardon...

A spokesman for Taoiseach says the Government position on Frances Fitzgerald has not changed.

Whiskey and revolver? :pac:

What mad honour laden universe have you popped in from?

She can afford quality whiskey and have a nice antique revolver collection though, which is how things work in this dimension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Water John wrote:
    On what grounds would Leo resign? That's nuts.

Well she has made him look like a complete numpty but historically that's no reason for an Irish politician to excuse themselves.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Agree Francie, on resignation and reform, but don't see election any time soon.

21:08
    Latest from Sarah Bardon...

A spokesman for Taoiseach says the Government position on Frances Fitzgerald has not changed.

Meeting with FF is off apparently. (Wrong, meeting still on, blame the Times).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Odhinn wrote: »
    Meeting with FF is off apparently.

Election on?

Wonder what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Jaysus Leo will you throw her out on her ear and get on with running this country. New politics....this is amateur hour from a man I thought would be better than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You'd assume Francis will go and then the focus will turn to Charlie

Thing is that the FF backbenchers might have the bit between their teeth now and will demand an election early in the new year

• Advertisement

She'll get her moment in the Dail to 'explain and excuse' and resign tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Bambi wrote:
    You'd assume Francis will go and then the focus will turn to Charlie

I think this is why FG are reluctant to force Fitzgerald out, it makes them wonder which other minister's head will be called for.

Meeting is going ahead, according to the Irish Times live blog.

This just in, biscuits have been delivered. Custard creams I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Shatter will be on the tonight show

Should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Fake news. Its actually hobnobs

Specialun wrote: »
    Fake news. Its actually hobnobs

The boom really is back.

Any umble pie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Gonna be a tasty day tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

pajoguy wrote: »
    Jaysus Leo will you throw her out on her ear and get on with running this country. New politics....this is amateur hour from a man I thought would be better than this.

In fairness he fooled a lot of people. His PR team and connections in the media made sure of that but at the end of the day he's just another politician who thinks about the next election and not the good of the country.

• Advertisement

pajoguy wrote: »

This always depresses me..

- That people actually believe "New Politics" after 6 years of the same-old, same-old

- That people are taken in by Leo's spin machine and surprised by his actions (or lack thereof) now when he's achieved pretty much nothing in those same 6 years

:(

Advertisement