Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Leo be the shortest serving taoiseach in history?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Frances resignation statement has been leaked.

https://twitter.com/PickledPat/status/935464296791904257?s=09

Leo knew about the emails since Friday, and despite that - he persisted in allowing his TDs and Ministers to defend and deny.

Many were doing so in good faith.

I don't see how Leo can recover from this tbh. I think he's a deaf man walking too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

He can learn sign language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,748 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Leo knew about the emails since Friday, and despite that - he persisted in allowing his TDs and Ministers to defend and deny.

Many were doing so in good faith.

I don't see how Leo can recover from this tbh. I think he's a deaf man walking too.

It is incredible treachery (a word already used in this discussion) on members of your own party. If there is anybody waiting to depose him they have some serious ammunition now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

RTE reporting that Fitzgerald has agreed to resign, no statement or confirmation yet

baylah17 wrote: »
    RTE reporting that Fitzgerald has agreed to resign, no statement or confirmation yet

Will Flannagan follow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Mícheál Lehane
    @MichealLehane
    I’ve been told by two senior Government figures that Frances Fitzgerald is set to resign @rtenews
    11:38 AM - Nov 28, 2017 · Dublin City, Ireland

baylah17 wrote: »
    Mícheál Lehane
    @MichealLehane
    I’ve been told by two senior Government figures that Frances Fitzgerald is set to resign @rtenews
    11:38 AM - Nov 28, 2017 · Dublin City, Ireland

Ah, she wasn't the worst of them. :)

What a shambles. What a f***ing shambles which could ALL have been avoided if Leo was a leader.
    Hang heads in shame FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Surprised at that, but not surprised either I suppose. They pushed it this far...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

tigger123 wrote: »
    Surprised at that, but not surprised either I suppose. They pushed it this far...

You are sounding like Fitzgerald!

We support McCabe....(Smear him!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

You want it one way, but it's the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Jawgap won't be happy that Kelly, SF and FF have forced poor Fitzer to resign when it was all a load of hot air.

Leo comes out of this looking like a complete moron and a lot of his backbenchers will be baying for blood.

What other radio station is covering this?. Ronan Collins can have the day off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The only reasonable outcome to be honest and I never thought it would end any differently in fairness.

An election was never the answer here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

What other radio station is covering this?. Ronan Collins can have the day off. :)

Switched to Newstalk there but not covering it yet. Say they'll be going to Leinster House when there's news

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Tánaiste resigns and RTE News channel is doing a piece about the Toy Show.

BBC News reported it just now ahead of Harry and what's her names wedding plans!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ten Pin wrote:
    Now can the whole bloody lot of you politicians get back to work and do your effin job.

Their Job? Attending funerals, getting medical cards for constituents, not attending Dail debates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

Hermy wrote: »
    Tánaiste resigns and RTE News channel is doing a piece about the Toy Show.

BBC News reported it just now ahead of Harry and what's her names wedding plans!

God that's an awful channel. Just seems to be a few screenshots thrown together. They're saying there's a live news special coming up soon. Probably wait till 1pm at this rate

howiya wrote: »
    God that's an awful channel. Just seems to be a few screenshots thrown together. They're saying there's a live news special coming up soon. Probably wait till 1pm at this rate

Really thought SOR should have stayed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Their Job? Attending funerals, getting medical cards for constituents, not attending Dail debates...

The one way to change that would be an electoral system divorced from constituencies, you see that amendment flying in out farmerland?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Really thought SOR should have stayed with it.

Should have and surprised he didn't.
    Or at least handed over to someone in the TV studio.

Genealogy Forum Mod

VinLieger wrote: »
    In my opinion she doesn't need to resign and this is preempting the tribunal BUT SF have FG and FF over a barrel and she probably should just suck it up and go for the good of her party and the country because this is not helping anyone and an election right now will be a waste of time and money for everyone involved.

What in the name of Jesus is that about?

FF has nailed FG good and proper in this. They led the issue, and it was pretty high stakes stuff for a while. SF stayed relatively quiet about it. It was all about FG and FF in talks, whether they would force an election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

About time common sense prevailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Have a feeling Michael Martin will pull the plug on this in the New Year, his back benchers will smell blood now and Charlie Flanagan isn't off the hook yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The Taoiseach has called Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin confirming that Frances Fitzgerald offered her resignation and he has accepted it.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1128/923290-politics/

At long, long last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What in the name of Jesus is that about?

FF has nailed FG good and proper in this. They led the issue, and it was pretty high stakes stuff for a while. SF stayed relatively quiet about it. It was all about FG and FF in talks, whether they would force an election.

SF forced FF's hand there is no evidence to suggest FF would have put forward a motion if SF hadnt put forward their own first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Bambi wrote: »
    Have a feeling Michael Martin will pull the plug on this in the New Year, his back benchers will smell blood now and Charlie Flanagan isn't off the hook yet...

Dunno, there will be a certain resentment if FF put the boot in. They demanded a head, they got it, they won. Not sure they should pursue this all the way to an election though.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

He's owed a mountain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very poor radio coverage of this.

Newstalk talking about unnecessary subscriptions!

Ronan Collins playing coffin dodger music!

SF forced FF's hand there is no evidence to suggest FF would have put forward a motion if SF hadnt put forward their own first

The entire analysis in the past few days has been FG and FF. Wall to wall coverage whether FF was going to force the matter all the way to an election.

They won. It's pretty simple. SF certainly does not have FF or FG over a barrel in any way shape or form on this issue. They were completely sidelined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

FZ2m5O8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭storker

Can't help thinking of the opening scene from The Thick of It:

Cliff Lawton: You've told the Lobby that I'm going?
    Malcolm Tucker: Yeah. Sorry, Cliff.
    Cliff Lawton: Minister.
    Malcolm Tucker: Yeah, get used to 'Cliff'. I've booked you in for the usual 'soapy tit-w**k' farewell at Number Ten, in twenty minutes.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Very poor radio coverage of this.

Newstalk talking about unnecessary subscriptions!

Ronan Collins playing coffin dodger music!

Why does RTE destroy a good mornings programming with that dire, painful show......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The entire analysis in the past few days has been FG and FF. Wall to wall coverage whether FF was going to force the matter all the way to an election.

They won. It's pretty simple. SF certainly does not have FF or FG over a barrel in any way shape or form on this issue. They were completely sidelined.

They kicked it off and their position on a No Confidence motion on Fitzgerald was never in doubt. As such, there was no "news" around SF during the past five days. Everyone knew where they stood on the whole thing.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They kicked it off and their position on a No Confidence motion on Fitzgerald was never in doubt. As such, there was no "news" around SF during the past five days. Everyone knew where they stood on the whole thing.

But the suggestion that they had anyone over a barrel is laughable.

They may have been irrelevant because their position wasn't in doubt. But nevertheless they were irrelevant.

There is one clear winner in all of this, it's M. Martin. He was perhaps lucky with what came out as events unfolded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No election then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Jawgap, with respect, and in hindsight, I don't put much faith in your predictions anymore.

Yeah, my bad......I was out by about 12 hours :rolleyes:
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Frances is gone by Monday - we'll have the story about how she reflected over the weekend......spoke to family and colleagues.....before she came to the conclusion that despite having done nothing wrong she has decided to put the country, the party etc ahead of personal ambition.....blah...de blah....de blah.

Leo and MM will doubtless discuss the sequencing later - MM will opt to wait, Leo will 'dig in' on not firing her. But the reality is she's gone, she knows it and now it's just about the theatre of her departure.

TÁNAISTE Frances Fitzgerald told Cabinet that she was resigning "of my own volition" and so as to prevent the country being forced into a snap general election.
    Ms Fitzgerald announced her resignation at 11.15am - with sources present saying she showed very little emotion.
    The Dublin Mid-West TD insisted she was not asked to hand in her resignation. She cited Brexit and other challenges facing the country as reasons behind her decision.

Addressing the meeting, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said he accepted the resignation but said he did not believe it was the "right thing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

branie2 wrote: »
    No election then?

Not this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Not before xmas anyway. They were never going to let that happen. I think there'll be one in the first half of 2018 though.

It was when the story broke that you failed and failed massively to grasp what was happening. A failing similar to Leo's actually.
    You grasped the reality eventually..just like Frances and Leo.
    SF are just the noisy kids in the garden while the adults are inside talking.

No one really pays them that much heed and certainly FF aren't going to follow their lead.

Plus FF know they'll suffer the retribution of the electorate if they trigger an election - I sincerely doubt this is a hill they're willing to die on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

But the suggestion that they had anyone over a barrel is laughable.

They may have been irrelevant because their position wasn't in doubt. But nevertheless they were irrelevant.

There is one clear winner in all of this, it's M. Martin. He was perhaps lucky with what came out as events unfolded.

Hah FF the winners? your deluded, both FG and FF come out of this looking like eejits, FF for threatening to bring down the government over some emails and FG for nearly letting them do it. The winner in this is SF for the simple reason they kicked it off by forcing FF's hand on the motion and then they got to walk away and let FF and FG play in the mud for the last 4 days, they have no fingerprints on any of this AND come the next election they will be able to bash both parties over this entire fiasco.

FF and FG really were caught on the hop here, it makes me seriously worried for what SF are capable of in the coming election if FF and FG are this far behind SF in terms of longterm strategic political thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

MadYaker wrote: »
    Not before xmas anyway. They were never going to let that happen. I think there'll be one in the first half of 2018 though.

The thoughts of having to do a bit of work before Christmas, Jaysis in the cold swell can't be having that. Sure they'll be off in a few days for 8 weeks or so. Farce of an operation in there, what a joke, embarrassing isn't even the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Honestly thought they were going to go to the country today. They were so staunchly behind her last night. Something else must have happened between 11pm and 11am. There's definately a few books to be written on the events of the past 72 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It was when the story broke that you failed and failed massively to grasp what was happening. A failing similar to Leo's actually.

Yes, as I said, the shinners were the noisy kids - this was sorted out by FF and FG.

The shinners were largely irrelevant once they lodged their motion of no confidence, and FF moved to push the issue.

it makes me seriously worried for what SF are capable of in the coming election if FF and FG are this far behind SF in terms of longterm strategic political thinking

I think that was trotted out before the last GE too.

Another good outing for M. Martin, as it turned out.

touts wrote: »
    Honestly thought they were going to go to the country today. They were so staunchly behind her last night. Something else must have happened between 11pm and 11am. There's definately a few books to be written on the events of the past 72 hours.

They were choreographing it all, hence Fitzgerald's trip into government buildings last night.. I posted this on the other thread earlier yesterday. She isn't apologising, and is going out on that blaze of self pity.
    I think the favour has been done for Fitzgerald. And Coveney got the job. He has allowed her to go into the Dail tomorrow feigning innocence and bleating about the injustice.
    She will resign and FG and FF will map out their agreed reforms.

If I am wrong, they are all idiots and thundering disgraces.

What he said

In your haste to have pop at the shinners you disastrously misread and tried to downplay the seriousness of the whole thing.

It would be truly interest now if someone tables a no confidence motion in Charlie Flanagan next.

That would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Hah FF the winners? your deluded, both FG and FF come out of this looking like eejits, FF for threatening to bring down the government over some emails and FG for nearly letting them do it. The winner in this is SF for the simple reason they kicked it off by forcing FF's hand on the motion and then they got to walk away and let FF and FG play in the mud for the last 4 days, they have no fingerprints on any of this AND come the next election they will be able to bash both parties over this entire fiasco.

FF and FG really were caught on the hop here, it makes me seriously worried for what SF are capable of in the coming election if FF and FG are this far behind SF in terms of longterm strategic political thinking

SF may have no fingerprints on the Maurice McCabe affair but they have plenty of fingerprints on the Gerry McCabe affair. Or maybe they believe that smearing a Garda is unacceptable but killing one is sort of OK, (provided it's done for the auld cause, of course).

• Advertisement
Advertisement