Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedex Admin charge for customs

• 23-11-2017 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi, 
    I am looking to see if anyone has any experience in dealing with the issue I'm having with fedex. 
    I purchased something from the US and it arrived to Ireland in 3 days via priority service. Next thing a call comes in, which I was expecting anyways to pay the duty and vat. 
    The bill I get is 70€. When I asked to give me a breakdown as I had calculated a different fee, the girl on the phone says the duty is €50 and the admin charge is 20€ for fedex processing the customs payment on my behalf. 
    Now, I have never entered into any agreement to avail of such services, firstly cause I was not notified of this charge and secondly I already paid the premium for priority postage anyway.
    I disputed the charge and they say there is nothing I can do about it and they will not release my parcel until this fee is paid. 
    I offered to pay the duty only but not the admin fee as I was not told about it,otherwise I would have never used them.  
    So, long story short, so much for a quick delivery when the parcel is sitting in their depot. 
    I already contacted the consumer rights department to see what they say, and they agree that I should have been made aware of the charge prior to purchasing the service. 
    Fedex says, its in their T&C's..  Yes because now I have to read conditions everytime i use a service thats offered to a consumer... 
    Any ideas or advice? 
    Thanks

Comments

I had the same exact issue about 10 years ago. Never used them since and would be put off if i seen they were the chosen courier of a site i was buying from.

Advertisement