Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climote timer with contactor

• 23-11-2017 9:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭

I've a climote device installed.
    I am introducing another zone which will be a single small electric rad rated at 500w.
    I contacted climote with info explained here and they say it needs a contactor as direct load would be too much.
    I'm looking at the climote manual. It says the zone outputs are each rated 5(2) Amps.
    Anyway, can anyone advise what contactor I should order for this use it will be running just the single 500w rad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Climote isn't designed nor is it suitable for electric heating afaik

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

Climote were contacted and didn't see an issue.
    I dont see why there would be either to be honest. The device can power out to an oil burner as it's currently doing.
    The contactor will ensure that the current draw is kept low through the climote as the rad circuit is kept away from the climote device.
    Just really wondering about what contactor to get for this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There is no issue with this.
    The important thing is to ensure that the contactor is sufficiently rated. I would suggest using a storage heating type contactor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The ABB ESB20 contactor shown here is designed to switch a 1.1 kW electric heater. As your heater is rated for 0.5 kW this would be suitable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

Thanks. Sounds like a plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement