Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! If I wipe Dell N1550 will it play Sims4?

• 23-11-2017 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭

This is our current 'old' laptop. It is about 7yrs old and runs really slow playing Sims4 with custom content. However, if I get it wiped and reinstall Windows 7, will it be any faster?

Specs on Dell: Dell N5110, Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, i5-2430, 4GB. Nvidia GeForce 525M

It can't be upgraded to Windows 10 as there is some issue with the Bios...

I was going to try to buy another laptop but to get the same one again would be at least 700 euros...just to play Sims4 which might be abandoned in a years time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would've thought Sims 4 would run pretty well on low settings at least. Depends what the custom content is, or how badly your machine is affected by bloatware/malware/etc.

It is a pretty old laptop though, you'd get a new one for about €600 that would run Sims 4 at ultra fine.

What's the bios issue? Should be no reason you can't install Win10 on that machine. It's not quite that old....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭sadie9

It's super laggy. And runs very very hot. We have it on sitting on a cooling rack from the kitchen. I can't check the Bios thing at the minute, but when the option to upgrade for free was operating the MS page refused to upgrade it. Think it said the Bios needed updating and I didn't know how to do that.

Issue is the teenager doesn't want a big 15in laptop, she wants a neat little 14in laptop that is more portable around the house...is it possible to get a 14in that would play the Sims4?

It's probably clogged up with dirt and dust. It's an old laptop but Sims4 should still run OK at low settings, definitely without any noticable hitching or stuttering.

You can just install Win10 via USB by using the Windows Media Creation tool. You don't need to actually go through Windows itself. Win10 will definitely install on that machine.

The best value gaming laptops for €6-700 are all 15.6". You can get 14" slim ones but they're more expensive.

The other option is just to get a more portable, slimeline 14" with integrated graphics that would still plays Sims4 fine, but would be a lot less powerful than a 15.6" for the same budget.

It's basically a trade off in that price range - high power, bulkier, or considerably reduced power but neater and lighter.

Like this for example.

But this would be twice or three times as fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It should be fine - my son has SIMS working on a Inspiron 15 5000 with a Celeron and 4GB of memory.
    Replacing the existing HDD with an SSD makes the difference though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭sadie9

I am thinking of just blowing the budget, looking at the 14in Acer Swift 3 with i5-7200 and MX 150 graphics card...

sadie9 wrote: »
    I am thinking of just blowing the budget, looking at the 14in Acer Swift 3 with i5-7200 and MX 150 graphics card...

Yes, that's the sort of balance between slimline/small and decent performance you'd be looking for. The MX150 would be similar to something like a GTX950M, so Sims 4 at ultra would be fine.

Advertisement