Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to study in limerick?

• 23-11-2017 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I have returned to part time study as a mature student and find it hard to study at home. Where could I go on a Saturday and Sunday, maybe even a Friday night to do a few hours study? I have my own laptop and books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I have returned to part time study as a mature student and find it hard to study at home. Where could I go on a Saturday and Sunday, maybe even a Friday night to do a few hours study? I have my own laptop and books.

The Granary and Dooradoyle library's are open till 8pm on a Friday and 5pm on a Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What college are you studying at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

What college are you studying at?

Limerick senior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The Granary and Dooradoyle library's are open till 8pm on a Friday and 5pm on a Saturday.

I use the city library a lot for study and you really need to be in there before the schoolkids at 4pm to get a study space.

Not many options aside from the library unfortunately. I might go to the Absolute or Strand Hotel sometimes too as its quite quiet in both of those and there is always lots of space to sit for a few hours.

panda100 wrote: »
    I use the city library a lot for study and you really need to be in there before the schoolkids at 4pm to get a study space.

Not many options aside from the library unfortunately. I might go to the Absolute or Strand Hotel sometimes too as its quite quiet in both of those and there is always lots of space to sit for a few hours.

That’s actually a great idea, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

That sounds like a good idea - have you ever gotten any funny looks at the hotels or been asked to leave? I would chance it, but that would honestly be my worst nightmare.

The hours at the city library aren't great tbf, it's a shame that there are not more places around Limerick.

That sounds like a good idea - have you ever gotten any funny looks at the hotels or been asked to leave? I would chance it, but that would honestly be my worst nightmare.

The hours at the city library aren't great tbf, it's a shame that there are not more places around Limerick.

Exactly. I could do it at home but I’m not disciplined enough. Too many distractions

No, none at all. I think as long as your not taking the piss and don't buy anything and have books spread everywhere. There is a little room off the side of The Strand Reception that I often go into. I usually buy a tea of a coffee to keep me going for the hour.

The absolute hotel are used of me by now and twice I got free cake as the kitchen was closing and they wanted to get rid of it :)

Limerick could definitely do with some more public study spaces alright, It would be great to see the Health Hub and Fab Lab on Rutland St given over for study spaces at certain times throughout the year.

Actually, another place that popped into my head is the work bench at Bank Of Ireland on O'Connell st. While this is not for study I know of people who have used it for these purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

No, none at all. I think as long as your not taking the piss and don't buy anything and have books spread everywhere. There is a little room off the side of The Strand Reception that I often go into. I usually buy a tea of a coffee to keep me going for the hour.

The absolute hotel are used of me by now and twice I got free cake as the kitchen was closing and they wanted to get rid of it :)

Limerick could definitely do with some more public study spaces alright, It would be great to see the Health Hub and Fab Lab on Rutland St given over for study spaces at certain times throughout the year.

Actually, another place that popped into my head is the work bench at Bank Of Ireland on O'Connell st. While this is not for study I know of people who have used it for these purposes.

I might try the Dooradoyle library one of the days and I'm hoping that there are not too many secondary school students. I have found in the past that the Gaelscoil Luimnigh students come along at 3pm and don't stop talking.

The work bench at Bank of Ireland crossed my mind also. I have walked past it a few times and have always wondered whether it is open to the public. Apparently it is for startups, but I might give it a shot one of the days.

The work bench at Bank of Ireland crossed my mind also. I have walked past it a few times and have always wondered whether it is open to the public. Apparently it is for startups, but I might give it a shot one of the days.

Do, as long as you look somewhat mature and not a school kid then they will let you work away in there. They even have free tea and coffee :) Well they did when I was there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

If you are studying at LCFE, you can use their facilities in the evenings, the library is usually open 6.45pm – 8.45pm Monday to Thursday as far as I know.

Advertisement