Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping for less light polution ... ?

Options
  • 23-11-2017 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Losing darkness at night: LED lights are boosting light pollution worldwide

THEY WERE SUPPOSED to bring about an energy revolution – but the popularity of LED lights is driving an increase in light pollution worldwide, with dire consequences for human and animal health.

The study in the journal Science Advances is based on satellite data showing that the Earth’s night is getting brighter, and artificially lit outdoor surfaces grew at a pace of 2.2% per year from 2012 to 2016

... more H E R E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭allinthehead

The problem with led lights as far as i'm concerned is that they are so efficient in terms of wattage, that people leave them on more and install more of them as they know it won't impact severely on the leccy bill.

A significant number of people are now installing led garden/wall lights controlled by a photocell. In other words, on all night. I have a neighbor who had a light that is usually only for commercial use (no diffuser) installed on the wall and lights up the back of all our homes. It is turned on as soon as it's dark and left on sometimes all day too. It's a cool white as opposed to warm which is also another issue. We had to have blackout blinds fitted so we could sleep.

☀️

Why on earth is this permitted
    The night sky is the most beautiful scenic view imaginable
    Most people forget the night sky is there, they forget their place in the universe and forget to ask themselves some fundamental questions, simply because most of us living in cities can’t see it

Everytime I see a proper dark sky I get the same sense of wonder, but unfortunately these moments are getting rarer and rater

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well the handful of us interested in this subject are not going to get anywhere. If you asked 99% of the general public to switch off their lights because you want to observe the night sky, they would look at you as if you really were from Mars.

Advertisement