Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littlewoods looking for my ppsn Number

Options
  • 23-11-2017 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Littlewoods emailed me on Tuesday last (21/11/17) looking for my ppsn number and other documents to verify who I am so I called them and it's not a scam I was told. Lady was very dismissive on the phone and I could hear others laughing in the background. She didn't give me much time either other than saying they are 'updating the system' but I call bull***to because since when do you need to give your ppsn number to an online shopping company??! I'm just informing people here in case others don't know and I for one will be leaving them as a customer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do you use their credit faculties ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you sure you phoned Littlewoods?

Forwards the email to the Data Protection Commissioner.

Only certain bodies are entitled to ask you for your PPSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think for using their credit facilities they would be required to verify your identity by photo ID and 2 proofs of address, can't see why they would need PPSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,020 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are times financial services firms need your PPSN by regulation. I'm not sure that a lending only setup like Littlewoods counts though - the reason for it there is for DIRT, TRS and other taxation issues.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Use-of-PPSN/1247.htm#2

I would never give it to someone who has made contact via phone. Wait for postal documents to arrive and verify any return address is genuine before doing anything. There is as much chance this is a scam than it being genuine really.

The difference between Littlewoods and a generic online shop is the credit facilities - if you don't use those they have zero right to ask for the PPSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Tell em there product price is not that much different to where you can buy it at another retailer and cancel your order if they wont accept the order without the information they require. U have the money and the upper hand to negotiate.

• Advertisement

sparky63 wrote: »
    Tell em there product price is not that much different to where you can buy it at another retailer and cancel your order if they wont accept the order without the information they require. U have the money and the upper hand to negotiate.

Unless they are using the finance option.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭butterfly28

Hi guys, I do use their credit facilities and it was definitely them that I called because I took the number from their website. I was also told that people were calling all day asking if it was genuine or not. I just don't trust them, it's like being asked for your bank details from a company you never pay or owe money to!! The number I called was 01 811 2222.

Hi guys, I do use their credit facilities and it was definitely them that I called because I took the number from their website. I was also told that people were calling all day asking if it was genuine or not. I just don't trust them, it's like being asked for your bank details from a company you never pay or owe money to!! The number I called was 01 811 2222.

It does seem legit then but I'm still not convinced they actually need the number - there is no tax implication for normal borrowing, only interest bearing or a tiny number of old mortgages.

When did you initially sign up for the account? The current legislation only applied to accounts after a certain date. They may be doing some catch up under KYC rules.

Seperately I would suggest that you use even a credit card instead of Littlewoods finance as Littlewoods APR is a painful 39.9% - it is atrocious value.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ask them to explain why they require your PPSN. If they have a valid reason for needing it, they should be readily able to provide that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

There are plenty of companies that dont require your PPs number for loans out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Littlewoods Ireland are requesting one form of photo ID, such as your passport, drivers license or public services card and 2 forms of address verification, such as utility bills. They are not specifically asking for the psc number. I think all littlewoods accounts are classed as credit accounts, in that you are given a certain spending limit on your account, whether you pay in full or in installments?

As stated in the email I received, "We know you have been a customer for some time now, but we need to ask you to provide us with some additional documentation to validate the information you have provided to us. We are regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland which places an obligation on us to verify the identity of all of our credit account customers. We require you to provide us with three forms of identification.".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

chasm wrote: »
    Littlewoods Ireland are requesting one form of photo ID, such as your passport, drivers license or public services card and 2 forms of address verification, such as utility bills.
    This in itself is not allowed:
    3) Bodies not specified in the legislation in either the public or private sector may not request the PSC or may not be required to use it in any transactions.

I'd be letting the DSP and DPC know about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I called Littlewoods to verify the e-mail I got from them was genuine. I spoke to a supervisor in their Securities dept who confirmed the following:

1. The e-mail is genuine.

2. As Littlewoods is a licenced credit broker, they are obliged to follow anti-money laundering regulations. So they CAN ask for ID and utility bills to verify your identity and your address. When sending docs, send them via the link in the e-mail, as that is secure. DON'T send the docs as attachments to the e-mail as that is not secure

3. They cannot ask for your PSC card, as they are not one of the prescribed organisations who can legally ask for it as ID.

4. They can ask for two utility bills as proof but cannot ask for three. They can take online bills.

They tried to tell me the regs had changed so they could ask for three bills. I work in anti-money laundering, so told them they cannot ask for three proofs of address. They can only ask for two. Most places ask for only one. I also advised they cannot ask for the PSC card as ID either. However - you can send the letter that came with the card, but they can't ask for the card/.

Hope this helps someone.

I called Littlewoods to verify the e-mail I got from them was genuine. I spoke to a supervisor in their Securities dept who confirmed the following:

1. The e-mail is genuine.

2. As Littlewoods is a licenced credit broker, they are obliged to follow anti-money laundering regulations. So they CAN ask for ID and utility bills to verify your identity and your address. When sending docs, send them via the link in the e-mail, as that is secure. DON'T send the docs as attachments to the e-mail as that is not secure

3. They cannot ask for your PSC card, as they are not one of the prescribed organisations who can legally ask for it as ID.

4. They can ask for two utility bills as proof but cannot ask for three. They can take online bills.

They tried to tell me the regs had changed so they could ask for three bills. I work in anti-money laundering, so told them they cannot ask for three proofs of address. They can only ask for two. Most places ask for only one. I also advised they cannot ask for the PSC card as ID either. However - you can send the letter that came with the card, but they can't ask for the card/.

Hope this helps someone.

The letter only asks for 2 forms of address anyway, maybe the CS rep was getting confused as you have to send 3 documents, 1 form of ID and 2 forms of address?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FindersKeepers

Think you are over-reacting OP. It asks for one of the 3, some LW members may not have a drivers license or passport. You could simply send them a pic of your card and erase the number from view (no biggy).

Ps - Hope you maxed out your limit before you leave ;) oh and thanks for the reminder that I have to send mine off!

The letter only asks for 2 forms of address anyway, maybe the CS rep was getting confused as you have to send 3 documents, 1 form of ID and 2 forms of address?

No. On the mail, I got, it said three. That was confirmed by the supervisor I spoke to.

No. On the mail, I got, it said three. That was confirmed by the supervisor I spoke to.

That's odd, My email stated "We have made it really easy for you to do this. You can securely upload your three forms of ID by clicking this link ..... and following the instructions.

What you need to provide:
    One form of photo ID from the list below:
    ✓ A copy of your current Drivers Licence,
    ✓ A copy of your current Passport,
    ✓ A copy of your current Public Services Card

AND

Two forms of address verification at your current address from the list below:
    ✓ A utility bill,
    ✓ A bank statement,
    ✓ A credit card statement,
    ✓ A house or motor insurance certificate,
    ✓ A local authority bill,
    ✓ A TV licence renewal form,

All Address ID documents must have been issued within the last 6 months"

Judging by comments on FB, others got the same email as me, so not sure why they sent you an email requesting 3 forms of address?

That's odd, My email stated "We have made it really easy for you to do this. You can securely upload your three forms of ID by clicking this link ..... and following the instructions.

What you need to provide:
    One form of photo ID from the list below:
    ✓ A copy of your current Drivers Licence,
    ✓ A copy of your current Passport,
    ✓ A copy of your current Public Services Card

AND

Two forms of address verification at your current address from the list below:
    ✓ A utility bill,
    ✓ A bank statement,
    ✓ A credit card statement,
    ✓ A house or motor insurance certificate,
    ✓ A local authority bill,
    ✓ A TV licence renewal form,

All Address ID documents must have been issued within the last 6 months"

Judging by comments on FB, others got the same email as me, so not sure why they sent you an email requesting 3 forms of address?

Neither am I. Anyway, as far as I am concerned, it's sorted. I posted in the hope it might help someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Is this only for credit customers ?

Advertisement