Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC adding a Relay

Options
  • 23-11-2017 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for any suggestions for a tidy relay to add to the HKC 1070 for outputs to security lights and heating?

Is the panel fit to power a standard 1A 12v coil or do you need to use a step up relay. I'd imagine with powering PIRs etc it would be under pressure to power 2x 1A coils too?

Are tidy suitable relays on the market?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

1 amp coils?
    What relays are you looking at?
    Something like this would be ideal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When selecting a contactor or relay it is essential to establish the size and nature of the load.
    Selecting a relay without knowing this risks creating a fire hazard.
    When dealing with mains voltage particularly when switching various loads I would advise employing the services of a registered electrical contractor.
    They can work with the alarm installer to provide a reliable and safe solution.
    They are also able to provide you with an electrical completion certification and ensure that electrical regulations (ET101:2008) are complied with.

For the security lights, how many kW and what type?

It may be necessary to have a relay driving a contactor (which is essentially a larger relay). Why? Because the coils of these devices can have a large inrush current so the panel can only switch a small relay that has a coil with a small inrush. This small rely can in turn switch on a contractor that has a coil with a larger inrush. When this is done correctly it is possible to get alarm panels to switch pretty much any sized load.

To switch a large load with one device another option is to use solid state relays, but I think that is best discussed in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭leroypatches

Thanks for your replies and safety advice. I have an electrician on board but want to find the best solution and be happy with it myself.

The only relays that could be bought in the wholesalers were something like this: http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/14c6/0900766b814c651a.pdf

- that's what I meant about presuming the panel wouldn't be able to power them.

My alarm guy used one of these before on another alarm but used a smaller solid state relay to switch this type of bigger one. [as i think 2011 suggested but with a contactor]

Would be looking at two outputs connected to relays:

- Lights would probably be 3x LED security lights each fitted with 3A fuses.

- Heat would just be to bypass the timer - fitted with a 3A fuse too.

Just wondered was there something on the market specifically designed for use with alarms etc. to make it easier and compact.

Those Finder 40 series relays look like they might be the job. Two of them running at the same time might still be a bit heavy for the panel though?

Thanks again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Those finder relays would be fine for the panel providing you don't have an unusual ammount of powered devices on it like extra keypads expanders etc.
    If in doubt a 1or 2 amp power supply could be easily added.
    I was presuming the lights would be LED so very little load on the contacts.
    Likewise with the heating.

Thanks KoolKid,
    Thats actually what he did that last time - enclosed the bigger relay in a 12v power supply box and the smaller relay opened and closed the power supply to the bigger relay.

That's actually why I was looking for a tidier version where you didn't need an extra power supply. I never mentioned that in the previous post though. Thanks for the post - it's a lot clearer in my head now.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

All the best

• Advertisement

Ps - I have two keypads, 2 PIRs, and hoping to put another PIR in the garage running off the panel!

2 relays like that should be fine from the panel.
    I have lots of CD72 panels out there with 2 keypads an expander and a powered PiR and Smoke detector ruining 2 of those relays switching some old style 500w halogens.

Thanks a mil

Advertisement