Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wages!!! What would you do?

Options
  • 24-11-2017 12:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42

Currently have a 5 minute drive into work getting 35k for a multinational. Pushed for money and no go.

A job going for 45k around 45 min's away going for 45k. Parking included.

A job for 70k in dunlin with a 120km journey going up and another 120km back down but with no parking included, probably red cow job.

I feel like I'm been underpaid in my current role but only way I get more money is showing proof of been employed to anothe business which I have with the 45k role.

I really don't want to drive but feel like im been underpaid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Are all the jobs the same? Would you be as happy in all of them regardless of the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

You don't mention your other circumstances, how happy you are in your current place of residence, stage of career, kids etc so it's really hard to weigh up the implications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Move

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Funny how? wrote: »
    Currently have a 5 minute drive into work getting 35k for a multinational. Pushed for money and no go.

A job for 70k in dunlin with a 120km journey going up and another 120km back down but with no parking included, probably red cow job.

I feel like I'm been underpaid in my current role but only way I get more money is showing proof of been employed to anothe business which I have with the 45k role.

For 70k you can afford to pay for petrol and parking.... And a new place to live

Is ninety minutes times five worth the difference in weekly take-home pay?

Would you genuinely drive to Dublin from where you are or would it mean a move? You'd have some ways yet to get into city centre from red cow, both ways- add that time and expense on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Akrasia wrote:
    For 70k you can afford to pay for petrol and parking....

Buy an EV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I've been there op. When you hit the high tax rate and lose half your payrise to tax, and take out diesel, tolls and wear and tear on your car, it can be a much of a muchness between the 35k and 45k. Or at least not worth the extra 90 mins journey.

The Dublin job doesn't sound too feasible due to the length of the commute and what many companies expect for their 70k in terms of hours. Not that I've ever been in that pay bracket myself.

Your best bet is to get a promotion in your current job. MNCs often have decent supervisor wages.

70k is 35k more, simple take-home is round half that so a raise of 17.5k or simple weekly raise of 336

Add In 120km driving time over and back, and time from wherever you park into town and back (at rush hour, presumably). What's the difference per hour now?

Add the cost of all of that, fuel, extra mileage on car, parking, transport from park and ride in

What's the difference in your account now? For how many more hours a week away from the house?

Starts to look like a tougher decision the more you look at the reality tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

10k gross more is not a lot.... And I'd say will probably cover the cost of fuel and extra servicing and depreciation on your car to get there every day. 70k in Dublin with the commute....Dublin is fast becoming uncommutable. If you leave at 6am you'll get to the outskirts like M50 in about an hour and a half. Journey home even longer..... If you move to Dublin see how much you'll pay in rent. I'd say most of the additional money will be gone.
    It all depends on what your preferences but I'll be honest as a veteran 100+ mile a day commuter for 15 years to Dublin and just having gotten a local job, I'd never go back to commuting. It steals your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Money alone is rarely enough to make you happy in a role. If you are not happy at work, it will definitely affect your life outside of it negatively.

Try to leave money out of it for a moment and look at each of the 3 roles and decide which one would be best for you from a personal and professional standpoint. i.e. working environment, colleagues, experience, career progression. Factor in the extra time away from home also. Then see if the difference in net pay for each role justifies working in something which might not be best for you.

All things being equal on the above, could consider it in the following manner.

You're currently spending 50 minutes a week commuting to work
    Alternative A = 450 min a week commute, nearly 7 hours difference
    Alternative B = 1500 (guesstimate) a week commute, just over 24 hrs a week difference.

The 120K commute is unsupportive of a reasonable quality of life in my view.

Consider Option A more closely.
    If you were to do approx 6.5 hrs a week over time in current role (at time and a half) that would equate to 10 hrs gross pay extra = 25% extra per annum. This would raise gross pay in current role to = €43750.
    Factoring in the travel costs fuel and wear and tear, I'd imagine you wouldn't be much better off at the 45K a year role.

That being said, maybe overtime is not an option but still, your travel costs will eat into the 10k difference which is before tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Tenigate wrote: »
    I've been there op. When you hit the high tax rate and lose half your payrise to tax, and take out diesel, tolls and wear and tear on your car, it can be a much of a muchness between the 35k and 45k. Or at least not worth the extra 90 mins journey.

The Dublin job doesn't sound too feasible due to the length of the commute and what many companies expect for their 70k in terms of hours. Not that I've ever been in that pay bracket myself.

Your best bet is to get a promotion in your current job. MNCs often have decent supervisor wages.

You'd be surprised....i moved earlier in the year for some very similar figures to the dublin job and I actually do less hours above my contract at 70k+ than when i was on 45k.

Dinferential place with healthier view on work life balance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can you not stay 3 nights somewhere in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If you honestly feel you're underpaid and they aren't budging, looking for something else makes sense.
    Do consider the time you'll be in the car, and the cost of the car itself, in your pros and cons for potential jobs.
    Commuting is a pain in the ass, so it's a time investment. 45 minutes each way is 1.5 hours each day, 4.5 hours each week.
    Also consider the tax bracket change. Between committing expenses and higher taxes, 35k vs. 70k might not be a huge difference in take home, especially if you're not putting as much as possible away into a pension (tax deferred)
    Good luck exploring your options!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

1200km a week for about 350 euro a week extra take home.
    This will cost you about 10c per km in fuel alone 120 euro a week used already if not more and you will put 200 thousand kms on a car in 3 years which will render any brand new car relatively worthless.
    Tyres, increased servicing etc.
    Plus 120km must be a 2 hour spin so that's 20 hours a week extra.
    Then you talk about parking at red cow and I presume jumping on the luas.

You will not be better off if you pay 50% tax prsi usc on the increase. You could lump into pension to keep tax down I suppose but that's up to you.

But overall I would be miserable doing that commute and no way would I consider it.

Even the 45 minute away job for 10k won't have you any better off really.

Don't do it. And don't think of renting in Dublin that will reduce your spending power too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You could take the 70k job for a year or two and having that on your CV means you'd be much higher on the pecking order for better paying jobs in better locations...

Though personal circumstances dominate these decisions

Depends on family circumstances too

If it's just you, take the Dublin job and move. Yes your rent will fly up but a room within cheap commutable distance won't cost you anything near what 1200km a week on the road will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Funny how?

Op here, yes been offered numerous roles in Dublin 70k. Rrecruitment agencies constantly ringong me. Excellent at C++

My current employer employs 25000 word wide. I was in Dublin on 35k and moved to my current company for the same wage around 3 years ago. Main reason I moved was because I hatdd commuting which they know of. I do get a 3.5k bonus even June which I'd online with most Dublin companies

45K again is 45 mins away. Probably could dismiss this one I'd ssy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

The commute you're pondering is uncommutable. Maybe some people can do it but I'm guessing you're not one of them. Is moving to Dublin an option? Sure, rent would cost a lot of the extra pay but you could have a pretty nice standard of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

can you take the dublin job and work from home 3 days a week?
    your line of work might lend itself to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

beauf wrote: »
    Can you not stay 3 nights somewhere in Dublin?

Yes. That’s what I would do. And that can be reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Op here, yes been offered numerous roles in Dublin 70k. Rrecruitment agencies constantly ringong me. Excellent at C++

My current employer employs 25000 word wide. I was in Dublin on 35k and moved to my current company for the same wage around 3 years ago. Main reason I moved was because I hatdd commuting which they know of. I do get a 3.5k bonus even June which I'd online with most Dublin companies

45K again is 45 mins away. Probably could dismiss this one I'd ssy

You seem to be underpaid even given the difference between Dublin and Cork I presume. Maybe try get 50k from that other employer and then ask for same from present employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭893bet

Take a Thursday and Friday off.

Pretend you work in Dublin and do the commute morning and evening two days in a row.

I commute a similar round trip (100 minutes each way). No traffic. It's tough but doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Out of curiosity what did you take OP?

I'm in a similar position, you are definitely criminally underpaid but don't underestimate the cost of a long commute - and I don't mean financially. They say time is the fire in which we burn - significant time spent commuting is something you will never get back and your quality of life will suffer (as you are aware).

That said being underpaid so much can also have an effect on your morale.

Maybe see if the Dublin company will allow working from home x2 or x3 times a week? That would lift a huge burden off you and make it much more reasonable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    As OP has been site bannned as a rereg chances are this was a wind up attempt rather than a real query; either way OP wil not be able to answer any further questions and this thread is locked. If OP wish to have an answer posted and this was a serious thread after all they can PM me to unlock this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement